Prospect Info: [2022 - 33rd] Owen Beck (OHL - Saginaw Spirit)

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't like Molson but he was ready to eat Monahan's contract for a 1st rounder so it's not that bad. Of course it's only throwing $ on the current roster in order to get back into playoff $$$.
I honestly don't get the Molson hate......it just seems more proletarian envy of success and power that always seems to morph into conspiracy level cynicism. I can't stand the greed of the 1% either but I do not think that there is any reason for a fan of the Canadiens to hate Molson for anything related to the clubs lack of success. He has never limited the GM's ability to spend to the cap.
Yeah I agree, no clue where the idea Molson is some penny pincher comes from. The Habs were 4th in payroll last year and 10th this year while deliberately tanking. We've spent 3M more in payroll than the Rangers in 22-23 and 23-24 lol

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I honestly don't get the Molson hate......it just seems more proletarian envy of success and power that always seems to morph into conspiracy level cynicism. I can't stand the greed of the 1% either but I do not think that there is any reason for a fan of the Canadiens to hate Molson for anything related to the clubs lack of success. He has never limited the GM's ability to spend to the cap. Bergevin wisely chose not to do so at times instead of throwing money at UFA's for the sake of doing so. This is not to say that MB did not make poor decisions when negotiating contracts but this has nothing to do with Molson.

Not implying that you subscribe to the QAnon-esque nature of some of his detractors as your reasons are likely more subtle.

I don't like him (the price of beer for example is beyond ridiculous for an owner in the beer business) but I don't get fans that "hate" him either.

He was shrewd enough to realize he needed someone to watch over his next GM (learning from his Bergevin mistake) and he's willing to spend $ off-cap to give the team an advantage (training facilities revamp, open all year long, cooks on site, etc).

Of course he's doing all that not just for the glory of the Habs but because it will help attendance revenues, etc but that's normal for the owner to be thinking that way. I have the displeasure of currently working in a sizable corp where the owner came back as CEO and it's micro-management hell, we're far from there with Molson.

but those beer prices :shakehead

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't like him (the price of beer for example is beyond ridiculous for an owner in the beer business) but I don't get fans that "hate" him either.

He was shrewd enough to realize he needed someone to watch over his next GM (learning from his Bergevin mistake) and he's willing to spend $ off-cap to give the team an advantage (training facilities revamp, open all year long, cooks on site, etc).

Of course he's doing all that not just for the glory of the Habs but because it will help attendance revenues, etc but that's normal for the owner to be thinking that way. I have the displeasure of currently working in a sizable corp where the owner came back as CEO and it's micro-management hell, we're far from there with Molson.

but those beer prices :shakehead
There is nothing shrewd about an owner that needs 10 years to realize his manager is incompetent when everyone else knew after 3 years. And it's even sadder if he knew and was happy because MB was operating with 1/10 the staff he should have had.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I know this might give some ptsd but kind of reminds me gally - danault - tatar which would have been an ideal 3rd line if we had more depth. Instead they were more like 1b line.

I like your comparison. I think aswell Roy-Beck-Mesar have potential to become a line like that. Time will tell if that's going to happen, but they have similar qualities than the line Gallagher-Danault-Tatar!!

Reactions: Adam Michaels

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I honestly don't get the Molson hate......it just seems more proletarian envy of success and power that always seems to morph into conspiracy level cynicism. I can't stand the greed of the 1% either but I do not think that there is any reason for a fan of the Canadiens to hate Molson for anything related to the clubs lack of success. He has never limited the GM's ability to spend to the cap. Bergevin wisely chose not to do so at times instead of throwing money at UFA's for the sake of doing so. This is not to say that MB did not make poor decisions when negotiating contracts but this has nothing to do with Molson.

Not implying that you subscribe to the QAnon-esque nature of some of his detractors as your reasons are likely more subtle.
We should consider ourselves lucky that we have an owner that doesn't try to get too involved like some other teams. Molson lets the GMs do their thing

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If Beck needs size, WTF is Hutson going to do? lol

Come on Habs... You know very well that you can't compare the two.

While any player benefits from being stronger or a bit bigger, uniquely skilled players like Hutson or Caufield (or Hughes, or Debrincat or PKane etc.) don't "need size" in the same way that a prospect projecting to be a two-way C does.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

While any player benefits from being stronger or a bit bigger, uniquely skilled players like Hutson or Caufield (or Hughes, or Debrincat or PKane etc.) don't "need size" in the same way that a prospect projecting to be a two-way C does.
But what if Beck is more than just a projected two-way center?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Since Patrice Bergeron was a two-way center, I don't see any need for projecting higher.

The style of play "two-way" does not limit potential.
No, it doesn’t.

But it may limit a player’s use and offensive opportunities like always having the player match up against an opponent’s top line. That’s a role for a player like Evans who will never have Beck’s offensive skills and production. You can see this predilection in Saginaw where, for some reason, Beck is not used on the first power play unit. Unless the team gets behind.

After Suzuki and Dach, Beck should be our most offensively gifted center and will be one of the keys in the reconstruction of our woeful bottom two lines. Let's just not pigeonhole this promising player.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
That figure may come from the draft, this one or next one.
Things change. If the top forward prospects are gone by the time the Canadiens draft, I can't see the team passing on Dickinson if he's still on the board. Next draft? That's a lifetime in world of professional sport as trades, free agent signings and injuries can materially influence any team's priorities and decisions.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
But what if Beck is more than just a projected two-way center?
Great.

That's kinda of irrelevant to the point.

Elite skill players/offense drivers typically rely more on cognitive & dexterity abilities than on size/strength aspects of physical ability... If Beck doesn't gain another pound and becomes an NHL regular playing in a role more focused on creating offense without relying on physical attributes, who cares.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Beck impresses me when he doesn’t have the puck….the way he angles opponents out of the play & pressure’s puck carrier's to cough it up.
I know it’s a heady comparison but he does remind me of a young Bergeron.
I’ll never forget at the draft TSN talking head Button referring to him as “Shane Wright with a better engine” lol.

Reactions: Rapala

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

you don't think D need size when you are projected to lead the PP and be a #1-2? I disagree, you need some weight. You can't patrol the blue line at 160lbs Krug is short but is at least 190. Hutson's weight is a concern at the NHL level, it will be for sure. I agree you can be a smaller forward in the NHL though, without question.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Beck is jacked and almost 200 lbs. and is known to have a pro shot. It showed in camp
I'm with you I see far more bulldog in him than either Evans or Dvorak possess already. His shot is obviously better too.
He's going to have to find that optimum sweet spot between weight/mass/speed.

I was impressed with his durability last season in a long post season run with a team that was playing over their heads.
I expect this post season won't be any different.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
you don't think D need size when you are projected to lead the PP and be a #1-2? I disagree, you need some weight. You can't patrol the blue line at 160lbs Krug is short but is at least 190. Hutson's weight is a concern at the NHL level, it will be for sure. I agree you can be a smaller forward in the NHL though, without question.
Hutson will be training with David Savard upon arrival in Monroyal. It will be poutine and beer-based, in one month he will be at 175. Stop worrying, it's all good brah.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm with you I see far more bulldog in him than either Evans or Dvorak possess already. His shot is obviously better too.
He's going to have to find that optimum sweet spot between weight/mass/speed.

I was impressed with his durability last season in a long post season run with a team that was playing over their heads.
I expect this post season won't be any different.
I agree, he does not play small at all and is a pitbull

Reactions: Rapala

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He is going to shine at NHL level.

Some people said that Beck will going to be a 4C... Come on, I just don't see that.

I see already a very very good 3C with 2C potential. Beck have a shot to put 20-25g per season, that's not a 4C who put that. I certainly see a 45-55 points per season with great two-way ability from him.

Can't wait to see him at pro level, his style fit better at NHL than junior. He is going to be a really good one.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
he doesn't look jacked or almost 200 lbs and he has a wicked release but he needs to work on his accuracy.
I'm not sure if he plays at 200 he's listed at 190 I'm guessing maybe 195.
I like his body type for a hockey player.
The type of build that seems to withstand the rigors of a long season.
Given our recent history durability is extremely important.
Like you said strength and mass will be key. Accuracy can be worked on with Dr. Shot.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
he doesn't look jacked or almost 200 lbs and he has a wicked release but he needs to work on his accuracy.
For a 20 year old hockey player who’s probably really lean….hes a strong kid as you can see

Attachments

• IMG_3523.png
    IMG_3523.png
    350.8 KB · Views: 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad