Prospect Info: [2022 - 33rd] Owen Beck (OHL - Saginaw Spirit)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

This is how much a premiere 3C produces.. Owen Beck will have no trouble scoring at those rates, come on guys. He has a NHL level shot, he's a very smart player, he has wheels, he's got good work ethic. He's just not a high end passer, well neither is Cirelli.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I don’t dislike Evans either

I see Beck becoming a really good defensive Center but I’m not sure the offence is gonna be there
I think the offense will be there if his wingers are guys like Newhook and Roy as opposed to guys like Anderson and Gallagher since we will hopefully have created a top 6 that can contend with the big boys by then

Reactions: Andrei79

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
His IQ and his shot makes him at least a 3rd line center. I don't believe 1 second he will end up being a 4th line center. Something will need to be very wrong in his development IMO.
He is indeed very intelligent, both on the ice and in the books. Habs like that kind of guy. Wonder if Parekh is in the cards for that reason, amongst his ridiculous point totals as a D man. I want a forward and all, but intelligence is something to keep in mind. I read that Zayne is off the charts smart.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's so hard to project how a 17, 18, 19, 20 year old will progress or not so many variables and factors that we don't have access to. Who knows where Beck will end up on what line in say 7-8 years from now as so much can happen one way or the other.

We know he's going to get another look in the NHL for sure, he's got a very NHL like game but just needs to add mass, strength and work on getting his shot on net more. I hope they don't rush him though as he could be a very solid NHLer kind of a better Dvorak hopefully if not maybe something more if the offense is better then i've seen.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Heinemann can be an interesting option. We forget about him, but he has third line wing write. All over him. Very agressive, a skate and has a helluva shot
Maybe, but he hasn't yet shown an ability to make an impact at the NHL level. For some players, it takes a while to figure the NHL level. Some never do. Heineman hasn't broken through yet. Could be next year, but I don't think it will be right from camp.

Reactions: Big Lurk

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I feel the Guhle trade to the Oil Kings is what helped push him into elite prospect territory. Hopefully the Beck trade to Saginaw is doing the same thing. Better opportunity, teammates, success.
I like his consistency with SAG.
He' been held off the scoresheet only 3 times in 26 games.
By contrast it was 11 times in 25 games with PBO.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
A limited skill, 4th line forward should score about 8 goals from tapping in rebounds, deflecting a shot in, puck bouncing off helmet into net.

Add speed and a legit shot then add in another 5-6 goals off rushes.

And the kid is a basic passer but works hard and is smart ?

Sounds a lot like Danault.

He isn't going to be just a 4th line C. My belief is he is a terrific 3C or a 2C. It will take a few years but I think he is a prospect with promise.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
A limited skill, 4th line forward should score about 8 goals from tapping in rebounds, deflecting a shot in, puck bouncing off helmet into net.

Add speed and a legit shot then add in another 5-6 goals off rushes.

And the kid is a basic passer but works hard and is smart ?

Sounds a lot like Danault.

He isn't going to be just a 4th line C. My belief is he is a terrific 3C or a 2C. It will take a few years but I think he is a prospect with promise.
I was able to catch the Saginaw Spirit's game against Guelph last night and here are my comments:

I though Beck played an effective, efficient game and was one of the more notable players on the ice. I can tell you that the Guelph announcers have a very high opinion of Beck's level of play and commented that Montreal, with Suzuki and Beck, will soon have a strong pair of centers going forward. Beck showed speed, vision and his usual high compete / motor. He had 6 shots, with some puck-luck could have had a couple of goals and made the important play in the waning seconds of the game that allowed the Spirit to tie up the game with their goalie pulled for an extra attacker.

I really can't understand the Saginaw coaching staff's use of Beck. Early in the game, they didn't even have him on the first power play unit. But when the Spirit fell behind, they were double shifting Beck on the Power Play and he played most of the overtime period. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

The more I watch Beck play, the more I see a # 2 center. I fully agree with the Guelph announcers, who stated with a level of certainty that Beck will be a main offensive player for the Canadiens in the future. He certainly has all the tools. And the attitude. This kid is a born leader.

Other notes: With Montreal having Winnipeg's first round draft choices I always take the opportunity to scout those players who should be available at the lower portion of the first round. One of these players is Jeff Luchanko, of the Guelph Storm. This kid, who has a late August 2006 birthdate, is 5' 11" and, 183 Lbs., has scored 20 goals and 69 points so far, has great hand skills and was one of the fastest players on the ice. If he falls to us, he's a player I would take in a second. He will be an offensive star at the next level.

I was also very impressed with Vancouver's draftee, Vilmer Alrikson. This kid is 6 ' 6" can skate like the wind, is physical and has excellent hand skills. He took a penalty late in the game that will probably get him suspended, but if you like Florian Xhekaj, then Alrikson is FX on steroids.. The Canucks stole this kid in the 5th round.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I was in a dilemma last night.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch Beck or Laval.
I opted for Laval mostly because of the Reinbacher situation and how a win would be ideal.
Tonight instead of getting a chance to watch Beck I get an early start in Calgary. :mad:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
his dad is a fine musician, his grandad was an amazing Guitar player back in England.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I don't know why, but I feel like a Roy, Beck & Mesar line could be good.
I feel like we would need a touch more size on a real 3rd line (like an Armia except.. not Armia lol)

When it comes to Mesar, it feels more like, it's top6 or its nothing sadly,
With Roy it feels like he could handle it for sure, but no PP time would be wasting him
And Beck well, 3rd line C from the gods as far as I'm concerned lol

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I don't know why, but I feel like a Roy, Beck & Mesar line could be good.

They have potential to become a really good 3rd line on a very good team. Offensive and two-way ability aswell. I think Mesar will fit perfectly with Roy and Beck, they will help him to show his offensive talent. Mesar can become a good two-way offensive 3rd RW, for sure.

Reactions: HomaridII

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Personally I think he’s gonna be a better version of Jake Evans but not that much better

Much stronger with a much better shot than Evans......a more plausible piece to a championship team than Evans by a significant margin. There is no scenario where a serious contender envisions Jake Evan s as a contributor in their top 9.

I see Beck as a name more in the tradition of blue collar warriors like Skrudland, Keane, Gainey, Jarvis and Carbonneau. Not to suggest that he is the same as all of these guys as they have different strengths and weaknesses but they were all elite two way 3rd liners that played for the crest on the front of their jersey. They were integral ingredients that helped to inspire sacrifice and dedication from the players who played on the lines above them..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1