Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He was playing along a 6th rounder and made him score 9 pts and he was part of the leadership group.

He's the real deal but he's misunderstood as a player because we're only judging him based off his production and not what he brings on the ice and off the ice.

Collberg was not playing with stars either. People were really excited when we drafted him.

Then, similar pattern of people blaming linemates, coaches, usage etc for the lack of production.

I do think Mesar is a good prospects but look at our list of young wingers:
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Newhook
Heineman
Farrell
Roy
Ylonen
Mesar
Tuch
Guindon
Rohrer
Pitlick
Harris

Then you have guys like Mysak, Davidson, Biondi and Kidney who could switch to the wing at the NHL level.

That's 17 names for 8 spots, not counting vets, FAs, trade and the 2024 draft. He needs to start to show more or he's going to get blocked by others who do (like Roy).

Last edited:
Reactions: Don D

Jul 6, 2016
Collberg was not playing with stars either. People were really excited when we drafted him.

Then, similar pattern of people blaming linemates, coaches, usage etc for the lack of production.

Caufield
Slafkovsky
Newhook
Heineman
Roy
Ylonen
Mesar
Tuch
Guindon
Rohrer
Pitlick
Harris

Then you have guys like Mysak, Davidson, Biondi and Kidney who could switch to the wing at the NHL level.

That's 16 names for 8 spots, not counting vets, FAs, trade and the 2024 draft. He needs to start to show more or he's going to get blocked by others who do (like Roy).
I think Davidson has more chances to play at NHL level than Mesar.

Jul 6, 2016

Caufield
Slafkovsky
Newhook
Heineman
Roy
Ylonen
Mesar
Tuch
Guindon
Rohrer
Pitlick
Harris

That's 16 names for 8 spots, not counting vets, FAs, trade and the 2024 draft. He needs to start to show more or he's going to get blocked by others who do (like Roy).
Besides the three first names on your list, nothing to right home about. They should had drafted a forward with their 1st overall pick last Summer, and they must do it this year.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Mesar is so much better than he's getting credit for. I have a feeling he's going to surprise a lot of people.
Desire to succeed is where he falls short. World is full of it's and buts folks that never amount to much. Lots of guys with near the same skill level, desire is what makes the big leagues, and I don't see it with him. Look at Gally, he willed himself onto the team.

Jul 6, 2016
Jared Davidson, 21 years old C/W, drafted #130 in 2022 by Montreal. Playing for Laval this year and currently has 12 points in 29 games in his rookie season.
+ the guy is gritty and has guts.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Besides the three first names on your list, nothing to right home about. They should had drafted a forward with their 1st overall pick last Summer, and they must do it this year.

The 3 top guys take 3 spots in the top9 wings. 3 left

Anderson is here for a while so another spot gone. 2 top9 wing spot left.

I'd be really surprised if none of Heineman/Farrell/Roy make it. 1 top 9 wing spot left.

So if one of the other 11 prospects (or the 2024 picks) makes it, you have your top9 wings filled.

Then in the 4th line you either have some of them or some cheap vets.

Obviously, the more make it, the better it is because you can package the extras for assets/upgrades.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
By reading the thread on him since he was drafted, you'd think we used a top 10 pick on Mesar.

In the last 10 or so years in the last 1/3 of the first round there have been few picks like Pastrnak, Oettinger, Thompson, Boeser, Kempe, McCann and Konecky who have amounted to anything really good. Other than that, most teams are lucky just finding regular NHLers like Sandin, Beauvillier, Roslovic, Tolvanen, Frost etc.

HuGo took a chance on a highly skilled guy with top 6 potential which is the right move as opposed to the Bergevin era when we'd take guys with lower ceilings like McCarron/Juulsen/De la Rose with late firsts/early seconds. We have a lot of quantity in our prospect pool to fill out our roster in the future, but we lack high end talent which is why it makes sense to take some risks at the draft on boom or bust guys.

He's had some downs since being drafted, but when he's been on he has shown he has a lot of skill and potential which could be further unlocked under MSL and Adam Nicholas.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Mesar is a strange player. He looks super skilled when you watch him play, but he doesn't produce as much as he looks like he could. Looking at him in the OHL, he is a much better skater than the ones around him and is a better stickhandler and passer than most. I am not convinced he is a hard worker though. I see a lot of fancy plays that go nowhere because his play lacks conviction.

It may be why he looks better in international play... Does he care more?

He may be a guy who will look better in the pros because he will start putting in more effort. He may also be one of those guys who are very frustrating because they never do as much as they look like they could.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Mesar is a strange player. He looks super skilled when you watch him play, but he doesn't produce as much as he looks like he could. Looking at him in the OHL, he is a much better skater than the ones around him and is a better stickhandler and passer than most. I am not convinced he is a hard worker though. I see a lot of fancy plays that go nowhere because his play lacks conviction.

It may be why he looks better in international play... Does he care more?

He may be a guy who will look better in the pros because he will start putting in more effort. He may also be one of those guys who are very frustrating because they never do as much as they look like they could.
The speed and skill are undeniable for sure. Perhaps as he matures he will put things together

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Next year;

1000001527.jpg

Last edited:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
There is no question he is talented. I'm not sure at all how he fits on the team though. The teams needs an elite second line. Can we use him to build one? Do you need a player like him to build a Cup contender? If the answer is no to one or both of those questions, then he should be used to get someone who does and you do this as soon as possible.
I agree with this. I’ve felt for a while now that he should be packaged to get a better fit in the top six

What's your definition of an Elite 3rd liner?

I'm thinking it'd be prime NJD John Madden, and Newhook is far from that.
Danault would be an elite 3rd liner as well

Last edited:

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Danault would be an alert 3rd liner as well
Danault would be AWESOME to have behinf a prime pair of Crosby and Malkin for example, yes, but I'd say Danault is a very good 2nd line C on a contender.

Completely off topic though, this is the Mesar thread and the discussion was about Newhook. At this point, to me, Newhook is very far from an elite 3rd liner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don D and L4br3cqu3

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Danault would be AWESOME to have behinf a prime pair of Crosby and Malkin for example, yes, but I'd say Danault is a very good 2nd line C on a contender.

Completely off topic though, this is the Meat thread and the discussion was about Newhook. At this point, to me, Newhook is very far from an elite 3rd liner.
Agreed he’s not that atm. I get a feel with Newhook that he has more to offer. He just needs time to settle in( injuries don’t help). I feel like he has another gear with steady linemates. Starting to see it with Roy. Imagine Dach between those two…..

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Completely off topic though, this is the Meat thread and the discussion was about Newhook. At this point, to me, Newhook is very far from an elite 3rd liner.

Skates very well, sees the ice, handles the puck pretty well, I just think he's not a '3rd line player' at all, he has the dispositions of a top-6, but to be a top-6 he'll have to produce more. In his case, I think a broad 'top-9' player would fit, cause I think he'll be able to slot everywhere in the lineup, but won't excel anywhere. A jack-of-all-trades type.

And since this is a Mesar thread and we definitely are off-topic, in his case, he reminds me of Tyler Ennis/Oleg Petrov, speedy, flashy, turns on a dime and handles the puck very well, but ultimately a complementary player. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Don D and MasterD

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Mesar is extremely slippery and probably up there with Hutson as the prospects with the highest skill. He will definitely need to work on his consistency and strength. My biggest concern with him is that he will be patient and hardworking enough to do what it takes to take his game to the next level. As mentioned above this type of prospect is in line with a late 1st rd pick.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I don't put any judgement of him bases on his OHL stats. So I believe that Mesar have much more talent than his actual stats.

we don't even know his actual ice time, hes at 1.36 in the ohl right now and hes playing second line minutes
when he was playing on the first line he was sitting at 2.0

hes the real deal

Reactions: HankyZetts

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Mesar is extremely slippery and probably up there with Hutson as the prospects with the highest skill. He will definitely need to work on his consistency and strength. My biggest concern with him is that he will be patient and hardworking enough to do what it takes to take his game to the next level. As mentioned above this type of prospect is in line with a late 1st rd pick.
Agreed kid is thick and will make Newhook expandable soon. Too much talent

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad