Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Last night he got the winning goal and the assurance goal, they din't even give him a third star

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I think he proved everyone he's a really good prospect

WJC
Mesar 5GP 2G 7 A 9 P
Rehkopf. 5GP 2G 2 A 4 P (top 4 in the league with less games)

I don't understand why so many are this skeptical about his skills, he showed his skills are translatable

If he adds a shot he can develop into a generational talent but right now its pretty avg and inconsistant

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018

WJC
Mesar 5GP 2G 7 A 9 P

I don't understand why so many are this skeptical about his skills, he showed his skills are translatable

If he adds a shot he can develop into a generational talent but right now its pretty avg and inconsistant
Count me as a Mesar fan, and I do see some quality NHL translatable skills in his game.

It's really going to be the physical/athletic/strength aspects to me that he's going to have to develop and adjust to as he plays against the stronger competition of the NHL. There is a question mark there for me as to how far he can take that aspect of his game to allow him to use his other skills effectively. Lots of time left for him to grow and develop though.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

WJC
Mesar 5GP 2G 7 A 9 P

No one should be skeptical about his skills at this point.

The effort seems to be consistent. If last year can be mostly wrote off due to the goofiness in Kitchener then we should be fine.

Really at this point I think he just needs to bulk up and stay consistent and stay engaged with his feet moving. If all that happens he can be a very good player. Many times this year, not unlike Hutson, he lead a few comebacks and seems to be pretty clutch. That's always a good sign.

All in all, people should be pretty stoked about him. I don't think he's quite a slam dunk and he has to work on things but I don't think there's much valid reason to bet against him.

Decision-making at times MIGHT be a concern if anything. I feel like at the beginning of the year that was a bit more worrisome an issue than it is now. If there's one thing that isn't immediately obvious as a weakness that COULD show up in the pros, I think it may be that one.

But again, WAY more positives than serious cons at this point.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
He's definitely the shiftiest and most dynamic forward prospect we have. Besides the need to get stronger, not sure about the IQ/mental aspect, that will determine how far he makes it with the Habs.

Reactions: Pomee

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Just noticed that he now has only 38 points in 29 games...

What happened to him after the WJC ? I remember he had close to 1.8 ppg before leaving to Europe.

Was it the injury?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just noticed that he now has only 38 points in 29 games...

What happened to him after the WJC ? I remember he had close to 1.8 ppg before leaving to Europe.

Was it the injury?

Yes, he came back from the WJC and got hurt pretty shortly after. If I remember it was a head injury, so those usually take a bit to come back from.

Also, the Rangers acquired Eduard Sale so the team got deeper offensively which means he will have less touches and minutes than he did prior to the trade.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Yes, he came back from the WJC and got hurt pretty shortly after. If I remember it was a head injury, so those usually take a bit to come back from.

Also, the Rangers acquired Eduard Sale so the team got deeper offensively which means he will have less touches and minutes than he did prior to the trade.

That's a shame and I was hoping he could push for a spot on the Slovak WC roster and be on the team with Slaf (If Kitchner drops in the playoffs)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's a shame and I was hoping he could push for a spot on the Slovak WC roster and be on the team with Slaf (If Kitchner drops in the playoffs)

He still could - I would expect him to find his rhythm again. There's just valid reasons as to why his production has dropped a bit since coming back, the injury being the biggest issue.

Reactions: Pazucha

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am a Kitchener season ticket holder. To start the year Kitchener were assumed to be a 7/8 seed or possibly miss the playoffs. They are running with four 16 year olds in their lineup and other than a few NHL drafted players they were pretty weak.

Kitchener brought in a new coach from Finland and started the first half of the year off on fire. Their top six were scoring goals at will and their depth players were contributing as well. Now the team has lost 6 of their last 7 and it is if the wheels have fallen off. They got hit with injuries and had to call two more 16 year olds up to take their place. They added Eduard Sale at the deadline but he only has 4 points in his first 10 games. Mesar missed a few games with an injury too.

It is not so much Mesar who has had his game slip over the last month as much as it is the whole team.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I am a Kitchener season ticket holder. To start the year Kitchener were assumed to be a 7/8 seed or possibly miss the playoffs. They are running with four 16 year olds in their lineup and other than a few NHL drafted players they were pretty weak.

Kitchener brought in a new coach from Finland and started the first half of the year off on fire. Their top six were scoring goals at will and their depth players were contributing as well. Now the team has lost 6 of their last 7 and it is if the wheels have fallen off. They got hit with injuries and had to call two more 16 year olds up to take their place. They added Eduard Sale at the deadline but he only has 4 points in his first 10 games. Mesar missed a few games with an injury too.

It is not so much Mesar who has had his game slip over the last month as much as it is the whole team.

I have been following him closely for 2 years, i know he's not the issue.

Maybe hes indeed a bit injured atm but 100% hes not jelling with his teammates as he should

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Seriously guys when I view the 2022 draft like this:

1st : Slaf, no change.
26: Hutson, what a steal, even in this range.
33: Beck, no change, big big fan of him.
62: Engstrom, amazing pick at this range, top 3-4 D potential.
75 : Mesar.

Sooo it's will be fine if Mesar don't be the top 6 player that Habs scouts see in him.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Seriously guys when I view the 2022 draft like this:

1st : Slaf, no change.
26: Hutson, what a steal, even in this range.
33: Beck, no change, big big fan of him.
62: Engstrom, amazing pick at this range, top 3-4 D potential.
75 : Mesar.

Sooo it's will be fine if Mesar don't be the top 6 player that Habs scouts see in him.

I think if we give him 2 slovaks or 2 other slavs as teammates he's going to thrive.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Mesar has struggled since coming back from injury. Kitchener up 4-3 in 2nd. No points for Mesar.

Everytime I watch Mesar, I come away disappointed. Soft, low complete, low confidence, small. What did they see there? I'm not willing to give up on him, but he's been underwhelming. 39 points in 31 is brutal for a D+2 prospect with his profile. When was the last time on of our firsts performed this bad post draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad