Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Sheng reported that the Sharks demand a 2nd for Reimer and are willing to wait for their price to be met

GMMG: "Can you ever really have too many goalies?"
Other GMs: "Well, the point of diminishing returns is typically-"
GMMG: "That was a rhetorical question, idiots."
I can tell you one thing: Adin Hill will not be traded.

Kähkönen: 6' 2"
Reimer: 6′ 2″
Hill: 6' 6"

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
an extra first for 1 year of monahan's contract ? wish the sharks could have done that...
Weird trades this year. Debrisket for virtual nothing, now capdumping Monahan with a 1st. Don't think GMMG is even getting close to these phone calls.

Can't help but think Calgary is digging themselves a serious future cap hell-hole while also avoiding the best draft in years.

But f***!! Monohan and a 1st? Would hope our GM swings a deal like this someday.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Weird trades this year. Debrisket for virtual nothing, now capdumping Monahan with a 1st. Don't think GMMG is even getting close to these phone calls.

Can't help but think Calgary is digging themselves a serious future cap hell-hole while also avoiding the best draft in years.

But f***!! Monohan and a 1st? Would hope our GM swings a deal like this someday.
I wouldn't say getting Korchinski is nothing for Debrincat given where Chicago is at in the early stages of a rebuild. Calgary's window is basically the next two years while they have a reasonable amount of depth on their team. They probably will end up in a cap hole after that depending on who they decide to keep and who they decide to let go but it's an understandable gamble to take for their situation.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I wouldn't say getting Korchinski is nothing for Debrincat given where Chicago is at in the early stages of a rebuild. Calgary's window is basically the next two years while they have a reasonable amount of depth on their team. They probably will end up in a cap hole after that depending on who they decide to keep and who they decide to let go but it's an understandable gamble to take for their situation.
That's the same justification that was used for the Couture, Vlasic, Burns contracts though. I guess as long as Calgary fans know what is on the other end then it's okay

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Well according to our board's favorite contrarian it wouldn't matter because the only thing we could have acquired with the 6 million dollars for bottom of the lineup players would have been a 4th in 3 years at the TDL.
You’re right, Mike Grier should have refrained from signing anyone and just kept his roster unfinished well into August on the off chance some team would be willing to give up a 27th-32nd overall pick to dump salary. The Sharks’ future hinges on the chance to draft the next Ozzy Wiesblatt.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You’re right, Mike Grier should have refrained from signing anyone and just kept his roster unfinished well into August on the off chance some team would be willing to give up a 27th-32nd overall pick to dump salary. The Sharks’ future hinges on the chance to draft the next Ozzy Wiesblatt.
This just in, first round picks are bad, fourth line grinders are good.

What about trading $6M salary for the chance to draft the next Filip Bystedt? Someone needing to shed salary was extremely predictable; I predicted it.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
But does the Sharks future depend on signing Luke Kunin as a space filler to finish bottom 10 in the league regardless? I feel like one of these is a better option, and it's the one where you might have the chance to draft the next David Pastrnak, Travis Konecny, Shea Theodore, Ryan Hartman, Jake Oettinger, Phil Danault, Evgeny Kuznetsov rather than watch Kunin and Sturm put up 20 points.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's the same justification that was used for the Couture, Vlasic, Burns contracts though. I guess as long as Calgary fans know what is on the other end then it's okay
If you're a playoff team feeling like you're close to Cup level then they're justifiable to a degree. I think the Couture and Burns contracts were justifiable for those reasons. Vlasic should've been dropped because he had already shown signs of decline and wasn't likely to be a healthy contributor at his pay rate. Honestly, if they had let go of Vlasic then, they probably still compete now. I don't think Calgary should feel like they're competitive with the changes they had to make but now that they've already chosen to commit to Huberdeau, you're building around him like it or not. Two years time will be pivotal for Calgary but their window is only clearly open for the next two seasons.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This just in, first round picks are bad, fourth line grinders are good.

What about trading $6M salary for the chance to draft the next Filip Bystedt? Someone needing to shed salary was extremely predictable; I predicted it.

But does the Sharks future depend on signing Luke Kunin as a space filler to finish bottom 10 in the league regardless? I feel like one of these is a better option, and it's the one where you might have the chance to draft the next David Pastrnak, Travis Konecny, Shea Theodore, Ryan Hartman, Jake Oettinger, Phil Danault, Evgeny Kuznetsov rather than watch Kunin and Sturm put up 20 points.
Of course teams needing to shed salary was predictable, the cap has been flat for years. My point is about how ridiculous it is to blame Grier for the Sharks not being in a position to take on significant cap dumps for picks as if he's the one responsible for the egregious Karlsson, Vlasic, Labanc, Couture, Hertl and Jones contracts not to mention the looming Kane grievance.

He did an incredible job just to maneuver out from under (most of) Burns' deal. The other big contracts are unmovable. So by griping about him not pulling off the Monahan trade you are essentially saying he should have left every cent of cap space he inherited unused into mid-August hoping to capitalize on a situation like this then somehow cobble together a full NHL roster with like $3. In fact, even if you replace every single one of Kunin, Lindblom, Sturm, Nutivaara and Benning with league minimum players the Sharks STILL wouldn't have enough cap space to add Monahan.

Some of you don't seem to comprehend how throughly Doug Wilson f***ed this team's long term cap situation. They were never going to be in a position to take on significant salary dumps and won't be in the near future.

Reactions: DG93 and jarr92

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Of course teams needing to shed salary was predictable, the cap has been flat for years. My point is about how ridiculous it is to blame Grier for the Sharks not being in a position to take on significant cap dumps for picks as if he's the one responsible for the egregious Karlsson, Vlasic, Labanc, Couture, Hertl and Jones contracts not to mention the looming Kane grievance.

He did an incredible job just to maneuver out from under (most of) Burns' deal. The other big contracts are unmovable. So by griping about him not pulling off the Monahan trade you are essentially saying he should have left every cent of cap space he inherited unused into mid-August hoping to capitalize on a situation like this then somehow cobble together a full NHL roster with like $3. In fact, even if you replace every single one of Kunin, Lindblom, Sturm, Nutivaara and Benning with league minimum players the Sharks STILL wouldn't have enough cap space to add Monahan.

Some of you don't seem to comprehend how throughly Doug Wilson f***ed this team's long term cap situation. They were never going to be in a position to take on significant salary dumps and won't be in the near future.
I think almost everyone understands that the DW era contracts are the key problem here and are mostly just expressing frustration at management's apparent continued lack of commitment to prioritizing getting futures. And yes, a camp dump at the scale of Monahan was likely out of reach, but smaller ones might not have been. I get that the bolded is rhetorical, but for the sake of argument, if replace all 5 with league min, it's only 125K short, which is readily covered by the impending goalie trade. This is obviously EA NHL 23 levels of management, but it's not unreasonable to hope the sharks make moves similar to this for futures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad