Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I very strongly disagree. Both of them provide things that Barabanov doesn’t.

He’s not a good player. I’m okay with him in the top 6 if he’s insulated with Timo and Couture or Hertl but I don’t love it.

If the Sharks are going to play their two best forwards together you need to have someone like Barabanov play above their individual level well adding something and getting results. Barabanov does both of those things, he brings a high hockey IQ and looks like a top 6 forward, even though he isn't one.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I very strongly disagree. Both of them provide things that Barabanov doesn’t.

He’s not a good player. I’m okay with him in the top 6 if he’s insulated with Timo and Couture or Hertl but I don’t love it.
And Barabanov provides things that neither Kunin nor Lindblom will bring. Barabanov has a history of producing with Hertl. Granted, Barabanov is nothing without Hertl but what other options do you have that don't involve causing Barabanov to be dead weight?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And Barabanov provides things that neither Kunin nor Lindblom will bring. Barabanov has a history of producing with Hertl. Granted, Barabanov is nothing without Hertl but what other options do you have that don't involve causing Barabanov to be dead weight?
Timo and Barabanov seemed to have better chemistry than Bara and Hertl. I think if you put them together with Couture in the middle it could work pretty well without him being deadweight.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Timo and Barabanov seemed to have better chemistry than Bara and Hertl. I think if you put them together with Couture in the middle it could work pretty well without him being deadweight.

I think the plan is to utilize Couture in a shutdown role which is why I think Lindblom was acquired. He is good defensively while not being a complete blackhole offensively.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Barabanov and Hertl have played well together since Barabanov came aboard. It's the only spot in the lineup where he plays well. I would trade him if that's not the plan anymore.

He’s not that good defensively. If anything that’s why Lorentz was acquired.
Lorentz is nothing but a 4th liner. This team should sign him to a one year deal and let him walk after that.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Barabanov and Hertl have played well together since Barabanov came aboard. It's the only spot in the lineup where he plays well. I would trade him if that's not the plan anymore.

Lorentz is nothing but a 4th liner. This team should sign him to a one year deal and let him walk after that.
They won’t trade him due to him JUST signing an extension. I’d rather throw him on the third than play him with Hertl.

Lorentz is a really damn good defensive forward. If the play is to create a shutdown line, he needs to be there.

This is the right year to look for buy low candidates like Lindblom. Same with Kumin. I hope we sign a couple more like this.
Are either really buy low?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They won’t trade him due to him JUST signing an extension. I’d rather throw him on the third than play him with Hertl.

Lorentz is a really damn good defensive forward. If the play is to create a shutdown line, he needs to be there.
It's a new GM so I wouldn't put it past them to trade Barabanov if something makes sense that isn't on his ten team no-trade list. As for Lorentz, he's a 4th liner not a shutdown player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I see 1 real third line, 1 real fourth line and a hodge bodge of other things.....
Pretty much but you make due with what you have at this point. This team isn't going to be good for a long time until they start stockpiling young assets that can develop into something meaningful. If they had the capability of turning their best players into those things then it would've helped but they don't. They need to get rid of everyone and lose properly and find a young game-changing talent to build around. Everything else is just filler until that happens.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's a new GM so I wouldn't put it past them to trade Barabanov if something makes sense that isn't on his ten team no-trade list. As for Lorentz, he's a 4th liner not a shutdown player.
I just genuinely do not see it. They already struggle enough to get FAs now we are trading one we just signed.

Lorentz has some of the better defensive stats on a good canes team. Lindblom should not be on a shut down line. Lorentz should.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Lindblom on the top line seems like a bad idea. If he's going to work here, it's going to be as a 3rd liner. Same with Kunin.

Right now, I feel like this is what our lineup looks like after the moves thus far.

Eklund-Hertl-Barabanov
Bonino-Couture-Meier
Lindblom-Bordeleau-Kunin
Viel-Reedy-Lorentz

Ferraro-Karlsson
Megna-Merkley
Vlasic-Knyzhov

Nieto and Simek as extras
I do actually like that 3rd line. Lindblom is supposedly good on the boards and just being solid positionally and playing a steady game. Kunin should be able to get in on the forecheck and has a decent shot/knack for scoring goals even if he's not a great distributor/playmaker. Should help insulate Bordeleau a little bit as an undersized rookie.

Reactions: anthonyyy

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I just genuinely do not see it. They already struggle enough to get FAs now we are trading one we just signed.

Lorentz has some of the better defensive stats on a good canes team. Lindblom should not be on a shut down line. Lorentz should.
It's a business where things change. When management changes, that's all the reason you need to move on from anyone still on the roster. This pretty much goes one of three ways. Either he stays and plays with Hertl and continues what he's been doing which is serviceable for a time, he stays and doesn't play with Hertl then gets bought out next year because he will be very obviously terrible anywhere else in the lineup, or you trade him now.
I do actually like that 3rd line. Lindblom is supposedly good on the boards and just being solid positionally and playing a steady game. Kunin should be able to get in on the forecheck and has a decent shot/knack for scoring goals even if he's not a great distributor/playmaker. Should help insulate Bordeleau a little bit as an undersized rookie.
I'd be fine with Lindblom and Kunin around Bordeleau on the 3rd line. That's a line and level where all three stand to benefit considering where they are. Kunin and Lindblom are struggling to maintain playing even just at a 3rd line level. Bordeleau needs some insulation to develop and for the guys around him to create space for him. That is something I feel Kunin and Lindblom can do at that level. It's just that the lines above them will suck. But we're rebuilding whether they want to say it that way or not so they need to make lineup decisions that would help develop the younger talent on the team including Eklund, Bordeleau, and Merkley.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Nino Niederreiter seems like a guy Grier would like if he is in the market for a forward. Wouldn’t be opposed if it’s for 4 years or less and cheap.

Reactions: themelkman

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

If you are talking about a bottom 6 shutdown line sure, but, if you are looking to shelter an offensive 3rd line and give Couture's line the hard match-ups Lindblom is a much better fit. While he might not be as good defensively as Lorentz (debatable) he brings offensive potential that Lorentz just doesn't have.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Nino Niederreiter seems like a guy Grier would like if he is in the market for a forward. Wouldn’t be opposed if it’s for 4 years or less and cheap.
I'd expect him back in Carolina after Marchment cucked them at the last minute for Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad