2022/23 Roster Thread I: I Don't Know How Much Time I Have Left So I'm Going To Get Real Weird With It

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If I had a guess, I would say that JvR, Konecny, Lindblom, and Provy get shopped.

JvR and Konecny get moved to make way for Gaudreau's contract, Provorov gets moved for a cheaper and maybe younger LD - and Lindblom is moved to clear cap.

Just a guess.

Looking at the Provy contract, not sure if I would move that - pretty solid when you look at the rest of the cap hits for D-Men around his age/slightly younger. I think he will bounce back.

Gaudreau - Coots - Cam
Farabee - Hayes - Tippett
x - Laughton - Brink
x - Frost - Allison

x - Ellis
Sanheim - Risto
x - Attard

I guess they'll look at Chychrun - and whoever they take at 5...if they make that pick, better be in the lineup opening night. This team is going to have a ton of holes if they sign Johnny.
Chychrun with max retention for JvR+5th overall+???

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He would likely be the 2nd best player on the team. If you are tying to win, great. If you suck then you trade him for anther 1st and solid asset. It’s what teams do all the time. Maybe this time he will open it up more to teams like Tampa and the Avs.
If Chuck re-signed Giroux, I’d be calling for his firing. That’s how idiotic it would be.

It makes ZERO sense for them to invest one of their biggest contracts in a 35 y/o Giroux.

Hell, Kadri turns 32 next season — they’d save 3 years by signing him instead, & I’m not crazy at all about *his* age.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's more like a fantasy world. Of course if Giroux and his family only want to go one location, it's going to come out. For one thing, he told other players on the Flyers that's where he wanted to go. That doesn't mean he was disgruntled, just that he only wanted to go to Florida, just like Hall only wanted to go to Boston.

The whole premise is faulty. Why would Giroux, who wanted to leave to chase a Cup at age 34, be planning to come back to Philly in 22-23? The odds of him actually winning a Cup were maybe 15% at best, and the Flyers are nowhere near Cup contender status.
The other issue is what makes people think anyone would pay significantly more?

I mean show me a TDL rental trade for a top six 34 or so year old forward that garnered significantly more than a 1st rd pick, a "B asset" and another asset?

Colorado made it clear when there were rumors about them trading for Giroux that Byram and Newhook were off the table - so what other Avs prospect is significantly better than Tippett?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It’s not the offseason until we get a tattoo artist making trade threads.

Oh God, this ones back too? Amazing how some people only show up in the off season to talk about making the team worse.

I feel like theres a word for this, and it's even mentioned in the site rules, but I can't put my thumb on it.

Reactions: Magua

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Colorado lucked out by Giroux forcing FL.

Lehkonen is a better playoff fit for them. He’s been a buzzsaw.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Zamula is already better than Seeler. Likewise York, who was ready all year, but sat behind Seeler until injuries finally forced the team to do the right thing.

Players cannot learn to play in the NHL without playing in the NHL. Restricting them from doing so restricts their development.

This is something every NHL team understands except for the Flyers

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Chuck re-signed Giroux, I’d be calling for his firing. That’s how idiotic it would be.

It makes ZERO sense for them to invest one of their biggest contracts in a 35 y/o Giroux.

Hell, Kadri turns 32 next season — they’d save 3 years by signing him instead, & I’m not crazy at all about *his* age.
Ummmm, no, the idiotic part is that you still think Cuck is a good GM.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Ummmm, no, the idiotic part is that you still think Cuck is a good GM.
He’s not an idiot, & he at least isn’t dumb enough to invest substantial cap space in a 35 y/o Giroux. Maybe you are.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maata #22, started at 19, never developed past a 3rd pair guy.
Pouliot #8 played 34 games at 21, 22 games at 22, 11 games at 23, didn't start until he was traded to Vancouver at 24 and was a JAG by 26.
Sundqvist played 18 games at 21, 10 games at 22, didn't start until he was traded to St Louis at 23.

Guentzel played 3 years in college, an 11 games AHL cameo, started the next season in the AHL, 33g 21-21 42, a tad bit more impressive than Frost in the AHL at 22.

Sheary, 4 years college, then 1 1/2 AHL seasons before coming up at 23 years old

Rust, 4 years college, then 1 AHL season, 11 game NHL cameo, started next season in the AHL before coming up at 23 years old.

It was the highly drafted players who were rushed, and who also failed.
The later picks who went to college were well marinated and didn't get to start until they were 22-23 years old.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He’s not an idiot, & he at least isn’t dumb enough to invest substantial cap space in a 35 y/o Giroux. Maybe you are.

He traded a premium for Ristolainen and resigned him long-term for 5-6x what he's worth, signed Yandle, and signed Thompson. He once traded Brent Burns for Setoguchi after being unsure if he's a dman or a winger. He's a f***ing idiot.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Maata #22, started at 19, never developed past a 3rd pair guy.
Pouliot #8 played 34 games at 21, 22 games at 22, 11 games at 23, didn't start until he was traded to Vancouver at 24 and was a JAG by 26.
Sundqvist played 18 games at 21, 10 games at 22, didn't start until he was traded to St Louis at 23.

Guentzel played 3 years in college, an 11 games AHL cameo, started the next season in the AHL, 33g 21-21 42, a tad bit more impressive than Frost in the AHL at 22.

Sheary, 4 years college, then 1 1/2 AHL seasons before coming up at 23 years old

Rust, 4 years college, then 1 AHL season, 11 game NHL cameo, started next season in the AHL before coming up at 23 years old.

It was the highly drafted players who were rushed, and who also failed.
The later picks who went to college were well marinated and didn't get to start until they were 22-23 years old.

None of them failed due to being rushed. None of them were highly drafted either. All were able to contribute utility on a contending team.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Maatta is an interesting case. We look back now knowing what happened to him, but he was considered a high-end young Defenseman his rookie year. Then he managed to have two shoulder surgeries, cancer, and the mumps all wiping out year 2 and he never looked like the same guy.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Maata is an interesting case. We look back now knowing what happened to him, but he was considered a high-end young Defenseman his rookie year. Then he managed to have two shoulder surgeries, cancer, and the mumps all wiping out year 2 and he never looked like the same guy.

No I'm sure that was all caused because he wasn't kept in a huge plastic bag full of spiede sauce for five or six years.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It didn't behoove the Flyers to leak that Giroux only wanted to go to Florida. In an ideal world, the only people who knew this were: Fletcher's staff, Giroux, Giroux's agent.
If it didn’t behoove the Flyers to leak this info, then who stood to gain from it? The answer is G and his agent. We don’t know but it certainly looks like Fletcher wasn’t going to re-sign/extend Giroux at the numbers that he felt that he deserved. It would have been a 35 contract with all of the issues that could come with it. My read, and I could be wrong, is that Giroux felt that the Flyers were disrespecting him and decided to stick it to them. Since the parting of the ways neither side has shown any desire to come back together. There has to be bad blood going both ways here now.

budscweizer16

Jun 14, 2004
Prospect Park(outsid
He had maybe five physical plays last season that were worth anything. Two that were really good. He had as many solid open-ice hits changing possession as Frost did. He was a shocking non-factor. He couldn't even reliably keep the crease clear. This was supposed to be his big selling point.
Stop it. “5 physical plays” 🤣🤣🤣🤣 u guys do remember we had Andy Macdonald not that that long ago. He was making 5 mil if I’m not mistaken. No I’m not comparing anything except the 5 mil. All I’m saying is U can do worse with 5 mil.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Stop it. “5 physical plays” 🤣🤣🤣🤣 u guys do remember we had Andy Macdonald not that that long ago. He was making 5 mil if I’m not mistaken. No I’m not comparing anything except the 5 mil. All I’m saying is U can do worse with 5 mil.

Ristolainen was not a physical standout at all.

MacDonald and Ristolainen are about as bad a use of 5 mil as you can conjure without giving that amount to Yandle and Thompson.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad