2022/23 Roster Thread I: I Don't Know How Much Time I Have Left So I'm Going To Get Real Weird With It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oooooo this sounds fun.

Rakell has Chuck Fletcher written all over him. Replace JVR with a 29 year old LW sniper with rapidly declining sniping ability, little transition ability, and below average passing. Absolute case scenario, early in his 5 year contract, he might even produce similar to JVR! Or not!

I mean you have guys like Trocheck (not his best contract year) and Burakovsky, and I'm not even saying they couldn't in theory be better than JVR. But imagine this team in the place they're in packaging a 1st to hand out a big contract for post-prime years. Of course, now we have to get into the itty bitty detail of which free agents even want to play for Torts. This offseason will be a f***ing riot. I hope they offload JVR without any free agent guarantees.

I can't find any connections to Minnesota. Does he know Hayes or Atkinson?

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

budscweizer16

Jun 14, 2004
Prospect Park(outsid
I know I didn't just read a Risto = Andersson, Orlov, Theodore, Girard, Hanifin, etc statement.
Yea u did. The fact of the matter is almost all of these guys signed 2-3 years ago, some even more. at roughly the same price. those same calibre of players signing today would be closer to 6.5 mil. and not that provy is a world beater but i think we all understand the talent he has. did we get a good deal for provy... yes. but guess what, he makes roughyl 1.7 more than risto per year. when Risto gives u a physical presence and 30 pts this year hell be every bit worth that cotnract. i really dont think its that bad.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Yea u did. The fact of the matter is almost all of these guys signed 2-3 years ago, some even more. at roughly the same price. those same calibre of players signing today would be closer to 6.5 mil. and not that provy is a world beater but i think we all understand the talent he has. did we get a good deal for provy... yes. but guess what, he makes roughyl 1.7 more than risto per year. when Risto gives u a physical presence and 30 pts this year hell be every bit worth that cotnract. i really dont think its that bad.
First of all this couldn't be more wrong I'd love to have Theodore, Theodore is really good, risto is dog shit, orlov is also pretty good, so is girard they're all much better than risto, none of those players are comparable to him what so ever

Reactions: TheKingPin

budscweizer16

Jun 14, 2004
Prospect Park(outsid
Fletcher over the course of 3 seasons sinks what was a pretty decent team with good pieces to the bottom of the league, forcing him to a position where he had to trade the best player in the history of the franchise for a return on par with trades involving Brandon f***ing Hagel and Ben f***ing Chiarot (where Hampus Lindholm's return blew it out of the water) while simultaneously being a dick to Giroux and hamstringing the team's return (and future- which he destroyed in the first place) in the process.

Yeah, can't blame him

Oh look, someone else who thinks Fisto is going to have some eureka hockey moment despite 6+ seasons of dreadful play all while thinking the Flyers are going to afford Gaudreau simply by trading JVR.
......Between JVR, Konecny, and Lindblom. thats 15,5 mil on top of the 5 mil u already have and the additional 1 cap u got bc the cap went up. I get it, we have other holes. but these can be filled with some youngsters, which would be in our best interested anyway

First of all this couldn't be more wrong I'd love to have Theodore, Theodore is really good, risto is dog shit, orlov is also pretty good, so is girard they're all much better than risto, none of those players are comparable to him what so ever
Theodore is pretty good, you are correct. But i mean there are 10-15 guys around his hit on that page and the one before whom hes just as/or almost as good as. the difference isnt that big

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Risto isn't a physical presence. He's too lost on any given play to be a physical presence. Teams effortlessly bypass him. Even if by some miracle he hits 30 points, he'll be outscored on-ice by a greater amount, as is the case his entire career. He's a thorough negative. He's ass. He was not worth his original contract, he isn't worth this one.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The right move was to recoup what u lost and deal Risto at last years trade deadline. You wouldve almost made back what u lost, when u initially traded for him. It wasnt his fault we were soo bad, just a lost year. a year where u needed to make the smart move, trade him and cut your losses. it seems like everyone is in agreeance on that. The part I dont understand is how 99% of you think this is some awful contract.

View attachment 560978
hes right in line with alot of other average defenseman. He had a bad year but so did the whole team, hes got alot more offensively to give. hes still only 27 and to me the contract isnt close to as bad as everyone in here thinks.

one other thing, I actually do believer we are going to be able to get out from under JVR somewhat unharmed in the asset giving department. I feel as though the only way we have a shot in hell at Johnny is to rid ourselves of JVR. Luckily a team like arizona lets say, will realize that if they take him on just for 60 games maybe picking up, lets say a 4th round pick with him, they can then turn around and deal him again at the deadline for prob a 3nd round pick maybe even a 1-2 with retained money. Lastly I think after we rid ourselves of him, we sign Johnny 7 years 10.5 per.

I think you lack a basic understanding of good vs bad. You traded away a boat load of assets and then lost a ton of cap space for him. When they got him, they knew he was bad. They admitted his possession stats were terrible. But they said they have the coaches to fix that, who are all fired now. It’s a bad trade and sign because he’s a bad dman.

Giroux turns 35 next season. Malpractice would have been re-signing him when that significant cap space could be used on someone younger.
He would likely be the 2nd best player on the team. If you are tying to win, great. If you suck then you trade him for anther 1st and solid asset. It’s what teams do all the time. Maybe this time he will open it up more to teams like Tampa and the Avs.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well, apparently that was contingent on a handshake re-sign (b-b-but the team denied this not legal act!). Something always seemed fishy about this whole thing. It still seems fishy in that the idea of a return has never been mentioned, not even as an offhand remark. It didn't behoove the Flyers to leak that Giroux only wanted to go to Florida. In an ideal world, the only people who knew this were: Fletcher's staff, Giroux, Giroux's agent. Wherein Fletcher could still negotiate with other teams to raise Florida's asking price. Everything points back to Giroux and his team being disgruntled and leaking things, not that I fault him. This is where one mentions how feeble Fletcher is as some sort of a defense.

That's more like a fantasy world. Of course if Giroux and his family only want to go one location, it's going to come out. For one thing, he told other players on the Flyers that's where he wanted to go. That doesn't mean he was disgruntled, just that he only wanted to go to Florida, just like Hall only wanted to go to Boston.

The whole premise is faulty. Why would Giroux, who wanted to leave to chase a Cup at age 34, be planning to come back to Philly in 22-23? The odds of him actually winning a Cup were maybe 15% at best, and the Flyers are nowhere near Cup contender status.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Considering the Flyers situation, the #7 should only be playing when a callup can't get there in time. We have too many prospects who could be getting experience, who have more upside, or are already better than him. Their approach towards him, his role, and prospect development is all wrong.

And Seeler himself isn't the problem, but the process behind the Seeler.
This is as about as flawed as logic can get. A big part of the current problem is the lack of NHL ready prospects. I realize you don’t get it but you can wreck a prospect pretty quick by rushing them

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Risto isn't a physical presence. He's too lost on any given play to be a physical presence. Teams effortlessly bypass him. Even if by some miracle he hits 30 points, he'll be outscored on-ice by a greater amount, as is the case his entire career. He's a thorough negative. He's ass. He was not worth his original contract, he isn't worth this one.
Risto isn’t a physical presence? That’s hilarious. He has his warts but he is worth every penny we are paying him

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is as about as flawed as logic can get. A big part of the current problem is the lack of NHL ready prospects. I realize you don’t get it but you can wreck a prospect pretty quick by rushing them

None of them are being rushed by getting in some NHL game time to fill in for injuries. You can even rotate them in.

"Flawed" is blocking their development with a dead-end player when building for the future should be the team's priority.

Reactions: DancingPanther

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Risto isn’t a physical presence? That’s hilarious. He has his warts but he is worth every penny we are paying him

He had maybe five physical plays last season that were worth anything. Two that were really good. He had as many solid open-ice hits changing possession as Frost did. He was a shocking non-factor. He couldn't even reliably keep the crease clear. This was supposed to be his big selling point.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That's more like a fantasy world. Of course if Giroux and his family only want to go one location, it's going to come out. For one thing, he told other players on the Flyers that's where he wanted to go. That doesn't mean he was disgruntled, just that he only wanted to go to Florida, just like Hall only wanted to go to Boston.

The whole premise is faulty. Why would Giroux, who wanted to leave to chase a Cup at age 34, be planning to come back to Philly in 22-23? The odds of him actually winning a Cup were maybe 15% at best, and the Flyers are nowhere near Cup contender status.

I mean, if I'm creating a fantasy narrative -- which I never said was factual, just suspicious -- so are you, no? You're making your own assumptions about Giroux and his relationships and his psychological desires. Were you in the locker room, privy to these conversations?

From what we were told, leaving was immensely difficult given his loyalties, and it was a decision he grappled with in the late stages. Why is it such lunacy that he was willing to go to a playoff team this season and rejoin the only team he has ever known? You're assuming he wants to mercenary seek a Cup year after year; maybe his legacy as a Flyer was equally or more important to him? Having a 1 team trade list doesn't exactly scream, "Get me out of here." Athletes are slightly delusional, and it's quite probable he believed, with health, the Flyers could be a playoff team next season.

I'm sorry, but you'll never convince me there isn't something off with his exit. There's a lingering air of bitterness. It's palpable.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Almost half of that list could have a limb removed and feasibly still maintain a higher level of play.

There's a reasonable way to take a positive stance on Risto even if I strongly disagree with it. It's not this. We all get a little carried away sometimes.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
None of them are being rushed by getting in some NHL game time to fill in for injuries. You can even rotate them in.

"Flawed" is blocking their development with a dead-end player when building for the future should be the team's priority.
Your not blocking development. Rushing players to the NHL is not good development. Most of our prospects ceiling isn’t much more than Seeler on defense unfortunately. Zamula and maybe Attard are all we got. I count York as NHL ready.

Reactions: tucson83

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Your not blocking development. Rushing players to the NHL is not good development. Most of our prospects ceiling isn’t much more than Seeler on defense unfortunately. Zamula and maybe Attard are all we got. I count York as NHL ready.

Zamula is already better than Seeler. Likewise York, who was ready all year, but sat behind Seeler until injuries finally forced the team to do the right thing.

Players cannot learn to play in the NHL without playing in the NHL. Restricting them from doing so restricts their development.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I mean, if I'm creating a fantasy narrative -- which I never said was factual, just suspicious -- so are you, no? You're making your own assumptions about Giroux and his relationships and his psychological desires. Were you in the locker room, privy to these conversations?

From what we were told, leaving was immensely difficult given his loyalties, and it was a decision he grappled with in the late stages. Why is it such lunacy that he was willing to go to a playoff team this season and rejoin the only team he has ever known? You're assuming he wants to mercenary seek a Cup year after year; maybe his legacy as a Flyer was equally or more important to him? Having a 1 team trade list doesn't exactly scream, "Get me out of here." Athletes are slightly delusional, and it's quite probable he believed, with health, the Flyers could be a playoff team next season.

I'm sorry, but you'll never convince me there isn't something off with his exit. There's a lingering air of bitterness. It's palpable.
Not only palpable, but obvious. They didn't even put him out for the last draw with 30 seconds left. He finished the game on the bench despite being rested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad