2022-23 NCAA CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
'We're best buddies': Michigan's trio of Devils defense prospects reach Frozen Four

—————-

“Ethan is an unreal person, a special athlete and an elite skater,” Naurato said. “He’s pretty similar to Jacob Truscott (also a 2020 draft pick, by Vancouver). It is great defense first, but there’s way more offense in them. Ethan has been playing behind Luke Hughes, Owen Power, Nick Blankenburg, guys like that. He’s going to get his chance to run the power play coming up. He did it in juniors and has played there a little bit for us.

“I think what’s cool about him is he kind of already knows what he’s going to be if he makes it to the NHL, so he’s really putting a lot of pride into focusing on those things. Just look at the Devils. They’re going to have Dougie Hamiltonand Luke. So if those minutes are taken, how else does he fit? He takes a lot of pride in his defense.”
Not that I take "elite skater" as much more then a coach pumping up his players, but the point about playing behind the highest of high end guys, and the oppurtunities which will open up for him next year is interesting. And it's not so much him putting up points, but just taking a bigger role and expanding his game.

There is talk above about the Devils liking big mobile defenders, and I think we did put a focus on that for a bit, but Edwards and Casey buck that trend, at least in terms of size.

I don't really have high hopes for either guy at the NHL level but I'm interested to see what they can bring to Utica.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Looks like someone forgot to tell Quinnipiac they were just supposed to show up and get beat by Michigan.

Taking advantage of Luke's lack of positional play and getting all kinds of chances.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Looks like someone forgot to tell Quinnipiac they were just supposed to show up and get beat by Michigan.

Taking advantage of Luke's lack of positional play and getting all kinds of chances.
why do you hate Luke so much, brother. he's a fun and good player

you should try liking fun and good things some time, it's pretty nice

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Quinnipiac was the better team all year, they were literally the higher seed. 2nd only to Minnesota. Why are you pretending like this is some humiliating upset?

Michigan was 12-10-2 this year, can we stop pretending they're some invincible juggernaut?

Michigan’s goaltending has been questionable all year. I also feel there are too many offensive defenseman and not enough forward scoring.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What a silly take.
Not if you watched the game.

Having coached Luke and several of the Wolverines with the USA U20 team, Rand Pecknold had his team prepared to take advantage of the lack of structure in Michigan's game.

Teams with superior skills can get away with that against the Latvias or Wisconsins of the world.

Wouldn't be shocked if Quinnipiac does the same thing to Minnesota; though Bob Mosko has a lot more experience and the Gophers will likely learn from Michigan's experience.

Could be a great final tomorrow.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Not if you watched the game.

Having coached Luke and several of the Wolverines with the USA U20 team, Rand Pecknold had his team prepared to take advantage of the lack of structure in Michigan's game.

Teams with superior skills can get away with that against the Latvias or Wisconsins of the world.

Wouldn't be shocked if Quinnipiac does the same thing to Minnesota; though Bob Mosko has a lot more experience and the Gophers will likely learn from Michigan's experience.

Could be a great final tomorrow.
Quinnipiac was ranked higher than Michigan and has been a wagon all year, Michigan didn't lose because of Luke, Quinnipiac won because they were the better team and have been a top team all year. I don't get why your shtick is just be a negative person. Are you like the IRL too?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
7C226716-F4E0-442C-9C78-D3DEE5346236.jpeg

F8EC0C67-3C5A-4DBE-B4CF-7084AC0CDE00.jpeg

D8285589-F6D4-4DAD-AE2E-DAB65F74AEF0.jpeg
AAA1A469-3956-4D45-A985-DAF241BFEA32.jpeg

1B0206C1-DF45-4315-8017-44FA100A7ACF.jpeg

512B8A97-EF02-42B9-9B8B-C3381A8863F8.jpeg

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Quinnipiac was ranked higher than Michigan and has been a wagon all year, Michigan didn't lose because of Luke, Quinnipiac won because they were the better team and have been a top team all year. I don't get why your shtick is just be a negative person. Are you like the IRL too?
Who said they lost because of Luke?

Nothing to do with "negative schtick".

Pretty objective actually.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Pelicans now tied with KalPa at one game each in the best-of-seven quarterfinals in Finland.

KalPa won last game 3-0, scoring on pp, shorthanded and an empty net goal.

Vilen played 18 minutes (3rd most for Pelicans D) and was on the ice for the shorthanded and empty net goals.
Misread Finnish website and saw that Lahti Pelicans eliminated KalPa and are now playing Ilves Tampere in the semifinals - series tied at two games.

Vilen topped 20 minutes of ice time with +1 and one assist in a 3-2 win.

Also, Devils draft pick Jakub Malek made his second playoff start for Ilves.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
E0057126-A05E-424E-9081-5A28202A18BA.jpeg
649536FF-69BB-4A0B-A3CC-E01DA06B29B8.jpeg

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

(Actually this was a rumor since January, and the fans of this team have been talking about it like it was happening since then, so I’m not exactly surprised.)

His rights run out this June, so pour one out for Pasic. Good luck in your future endeavors Swedish buddy.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
View attachment 687270View attachment 687271

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

(Actually this was a rumor since January, and the fans of this team have been talking about it like it was happening since then, so I’m not exactly surprised.)

His rights run out this June, so pour one out for Pasic. Good luck in your future endeavors Swedish buddy.

Välkommen?
BE3453C6-C545-4956-8C67-19A611374563.gif

But in all seriousness, with Utica needing scoring I thought there was an outside chance they’d sign him.

Geez, I guess 52pts in the Swedish AHL and a nickel won’t get you a Charleston Chew these days.

IT0

Jul 21, 2011
.fi
Misread Finnish website and saw that Lahti Pelicans eliminated KalPa and are now playing Ilves Tampere in the semifinals - series tied at two games.

Vilen topped 20 minutes of ice time with +1 and one assist in a 3-2 win.

Also, Devils draft pick Jakub Malek made his second playoff start for Ilves.

vilen is going to finals ! good for him and the team ..and the city

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder if we tried there at all and if MacKinnon is going to get off his ass and sign someone at any point.

He needs to do a better job in Utica this season. I liked the Halonen and Parent signings but would like more.

Brown was a mediocre college player for three seasons before having a breakout season as a senior - playing on a team with some of the most dynamic players in college hockey.

Not sure how much upside there is but I'd imagine the Devils are quite familiar with him.

Between the guys in the pipeline and the signed veterans not sure how much of an upgrade he would be.

Comets are playoff bound while helping the younger players to develop. Seems like they are doing their job.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Brown was a mediocre college player for three seasons before having a breakout season as a senior - playing on a team with some of the most dynamic players in college hockey.

Not sure how much upside there is but I'd imagine the Devils are quite familiar with him.

Between the guys in the pipeline and the signed veterans not sure how much of an upgrade he would be.

Comets are playoff bound while helping the younger players to develop. Seems like they are doing their job.
Thompson hasn't scored a goal in the last 36 games!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job by Dineen and Co..
#32 PP out of 32 AHL teams. Great job Dineen and Co.
#27 PK out of 32 AHL teams (28 going into Wednesday). Great job Dineen and Co.
#32 in PPG scored.
Scored 210 vs 218 allowed.
Worst own zone defensive system I have ever seen in many decades of playing at various levels and following the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by doing their job at player development.
Player improvement? We should see significant improvement from season to season if players are developing.

1st of all there are not that many young players developing here any more anyways. There are 3 forwards.
1) Thompson is a disaster. 7 goals scored, the last of which was on January 13, 36 games ago. 24 points/55GP. In 21-22 he had 15Pts/6G/16GP. Can't imagine what he must be feeling. He is signed to a 1-way NHL deal next season for $762,500. Can't imagine how Fitz views that.

2) Foote has had a decent season with 37 pts in 55 GP. Last season 32 pts in 55 GP. Improved 5 points. His 37 points puts him at #3 in scoring for the Comets. That's #151 in the league.

3) Clarke had 24 pts in 52 GP in 21-22. In 22-23 he has more than doubled his output with 57 pts in 67 GP. He leads the team in goals with 24. That is very significant improvement for him. In comparison to the league, however his team leading 24 goals ranks him at #31. Not too shabby.

These 3 were supposed to replace the play of DeLeo, Green, Holtz, andZetterland

Talvitie is the only other forward prospect and he has fallen from 24 pts/12 G/68 GP in 21-22 to 13 pts/3 G/57 GP in 22-23. He isn't close to a threat to show up on the NJ roster. He has to hope they sign him to an RFA contract for next season. He would not be a key player for the Comets who are desperate to fill the middle slot with talent next season. That makes him expendable.

The Comets have had 3 defensive prospects in Utica this season. Can't count Bahl with only 3 GP here nor OK because he played 20 games, was injured, and traded.

1) Walsh put up 43 pts/9 G/70 GP in 21-22. In 22-23 he has put up 40 Pts (#2 on the team) 8 G/70 GP. It's a good season, but there was no improvement.

2) Groleau is playing his 4th season of hockey and has been unable to establish himself as regular game night player. He played 50 games in 21-22 and recorded 9 pts/2 G. In 22-23 he has only played 42 games and has recorded 10 pts/2G.

3) Vukojevic is in his 3rd pro season and has spent a significant amount of time out with a surgically repaired finger. He has been limited to 37 GP and 3pts, 1 of which was a goal.

S looking ahead:
- Thompson opens the season in Utica. It will take some amazing improvement for him to live up to that contract. He would have to blow the doors off the entire Devils camp to make their team.

- Walsh has had a good season, but the Devils have no room for him. He will be an RFA. What the Devils and Walsh decide is yet to be seen.

Foote and Clarke each still have another year on their ELCs. Unless the Devils make significant changes in their forwards, there's not much room at all.
- Foote is the only guy I see possibly sticking with NJ next year.

We must remeber that Holtz just may have the inside edge over anybody else under a NJ contract to replace any forward the Devils move out and he has 2 seasons left on his ELC.

- Clarke has had a very good season, but he is the kind of player who would have to be top 6. He is soft as far as players go. He doesn't kill penalties and is not strong defensively. There is no way he cracks that lineup.

Very possibly both are in Utica again next season and will be playing to make themselves valuable on the trade market and Walsh is in the same situation.

Groleau and Talvitie are RFA and could easily be passed over. My guess is a slight increase in salary and assigned to Utica as depth.

Vukojevic has another season to blow things up and become a valuable asset to NJ on the market by 24-25.

The Comets have Vuk, Vilen, Hatakka, and Wotherspoon under contract and I seriously believe the Devils will give Nemec more time in the AHL. He still needs work on his defensive game to be considered for time in the NHL. Playing him as a #7/8 would be foolish. The kid needs to play every day and take on much more responsibility. That's 5 and Groleau could conceivably fit in on the 3rd pair. Hayes is also RFA and has played a regular role since his arrival. At 23 I'd guess he is signed.
Russo is a UFA and I'd guess he moves on and another veteran would be signed to join Wotherspoon as the 2 veteran D-Men. That 2nd guy could be Walsh if he's willing.

One would hope the improvement of these prospects is much more significant if they are back here again.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Edit:
Don't know how that post got over here. It's the same post I started my coverage of the Utica/Syracuse game in the Utica thread.

Gremlins

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad