Injury Report: 2022-23 Injury Thread Part 2: HF's longest ever thread

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The Avs did well to find Rodrigues for 2M. You need to find bargain bin players like that late in UFA to compete. You can't turn around and offer those same bargain bin players substantial raises.

Easy pass on Rodrigues if he wants anything more than 2M. Let's not forget he is still a very inconsistent, flawed hockey player who seemingly only produces when paired with MacKinnon or Rantanen.
Agreed.

I think the Avs also need to be looking at players who offer something if not scoring.

I think its perfectly fine for the AVS to be bargain shopping for depth players who can produce 30-40 like ERod types. But please, at least let them be useful in other ways when their production lulls. Be an energetic hitter, or good PKer or great F/O person, or solid defensively. Just please have redeeming qualities outside of the erratic production, because lets face it: all 30-40 point players have erratic production. Theyll produce 7 points in 10 games then go 10 games with no points.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Im so confused.

We have tons of money spent on wings already. Now understood, Landeskog is for sure gone for 1 season, but there's at least a partial chance he returns after that.

How could we possibly be looking to sign ANOTHER winger in the 6-7 million range when we have practically no centers?

Now, before I get bombarded about how the AVS don't prioritize the 2C spot... In reality, thats only been for 1 season because Kadri has been here for a few years before last season. So we never really needed a 2C. And last year, they used Compher as that spot. But we don't even have Compher anymore.

So how can we be spending big bucks on another winger?
I'm confused too. Which 6-7M winger are you referring to? We're discussing ERod here.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Worth noting that the Avs needed a 2C for ~2 seasons prior to getting Kadri (since the Duchene trade at minimum). With Duchene primarily focused on wing during the disaster season and even a bit prior and Soda being the post ROR 'solution'... you could argue a lot longer than 2 years prior to Kadri that the Avs put a high priority at 2C.
Yes, theyve often used 3C calibre players as their 2C.

But as of right now, we don't even have that on the roster. And even with Landeskog LTIR, if we use that money on Bert, we're in the same financial situation with only Mackinnon at center. And no safety net 3C to use in the meantime.

I'm confused too. Which 6-7M winger are you referring to? We're discussing ERod here.
There's a bunch of Bertuzzi discussion going on. Hench even mentioning that he wouldnt be surprised to see the avs try to acquire his rights to sign him. I'm just flowing with that discussion

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, theyve often used 3C calibre players as their 2C.

But as of right now, we don't even have that on the roster. And even with Landeskog LTIR, if we use that money on Bert, we're in the same financial situation with only Mackinnon at center. And no safety net 3C to use in the meantime.

There's a bunch of Bertuzzi discussion going on. Hench even mentioning that he wouldnt be surprised to see the avs try to acquire his rights to sign him. I'm just flowing with that discussion
The usage of 3C caliber players as 2C shows a general lack of priority on the position. In the realm of possibility along those lines they go out and get a guy like Bjugstad or Kampf and call that the answer at center. That wouldn't be prioritizing 2C as a position IMO.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Landeskog press conference:
IMG_0710.jpeg

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
The usage of 3C caliber players as 2C shows a general lack of priority on the position. In the realm of possibility along those lines they go out and get a guy like Bjugstad or Kampf and call that the answer at center. That wouldn't be prioritizing 2C as a position IMO.
You would think a C like Joe Sakic would realize the importance of the position. Getting a 4C and calling it good would be even worse than last year(JTC). I know you are not suggesting they do this but if it is even in the realm of possibility then we are f***ed.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
You would think a C like Joe Sakic would realize the importance of the position. Getting a 4C and calling it good would be even worse than last year(JTC). I know you are not suggesting they do this but if it is even in the realm of possibility then we are f***ed.
Personally, I think they realize the importance of the position. I think they were satisfied with their off-season last summer thinking that they'd give Newhook/Compher/Rodriguez a chance at #2C and if that didn't work, they could look to the trade market during the season since acquiring a player once the season is already under way, it would probably cost less against the cap. Then when they looked at the trade market, I don't think they liked the prices being given to the Stanley Cup Champions looking to repeat. I think other teams were trying to gouge the Avs much like other teams have been doing to TB the past 2-3 years.

When you look at our current situation on D, the way it worked out in the end is disappointing but it makes sense. The Avs need to have their defense situation sorted out and keep TWO of Toews/Byram/Girard and then they'll be able to work out the rest of their roster. You can't have each of those guys making $5M or more long-term... that's just not going to work. With a prospect like Behrens coming up, it makes sense that they end up trading Sammy G but at the same time, they need to get some sort of cap certainty with Byram.

I think there's going to be some sort of movement by the time the draft rolls around and they'll address the #2C slot in a big way.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Personally, I think they realize the importance of the position. I think they were satisfied with their off-season last summer thinking that they'd give Newhook/Compher/Rodriguez a chance at #2C and if that didn't work, they could look to the trade market during the season since acquiring a player once the season is already under way, it would probably cost less against the cap. Then when they looked at the trade market, I don't think they liked the prices being given to the Stanley Cup Champions looking to repeat. I think other teams were trying to gouge the Avs much like other teams have been doing to TB the past 2-3 years.

When you look at our current situation on D, the way it worked out in the end is disappointing but it makes sense. The Avs need to have their defense situation sorted out and keep TWO of Toews/Byram/Girard and then they'll be able to work out the rest of their roster. You can't have each of those guys making $5M or more long-term... that's just not going to work. With a prospect like Behrens coming up, it makes sense that they end up trading Sammy G but at the same time, they need to get some sort of cap certainty with Byram.

I think there's going to be some sort of movement by the time the draft rolls around and they'll address the #2C slot in a big way.

I love that some people still have confidence in Cmac. I hope you all are right and the rest of us are eating crow on opening night.

I would love to see a hockey trade that fixes the issue, or at least has a high chance of fixing it for at least the next two years if not longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad