Portland, Maine
Interesting.....
346157957_664892895478148_1287409434127185617_n.jpg
348377744_188283770831055_8211578595463516597_n.jpg

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
JCo with his never-ending pot stirring. He must be needing a boost in spirits after his hometown blood suckers were shutout & eliminated all in one 60-minute Game 7, especially with a goal disallowed in the 3rd period on a goalie intereference review. That's gotta hurt WAY more than sleeping on the dressing room floor.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
JCo with his never-ending pot stirring. He must be needing a boost in spirits after his hometown blood suckers were shutout & eliminated all in one 60-minute Game 7, especially with a goal disallowed in the 3rd period on a goalie intereference review. That's gotta hurt WAY more than sleeping on the dressing room floor.
Maybe they should set up the Steelheads in tents in Toledo. (They're still going to smoke the Walleye) ;)

In fairness, it does sound like a crappy situation. But there's a little more to the story, apparently.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Maybe they should set up the Steelheads in tents in Toledo. (They're still going to smoke the Walleye) ;)

In fairness, it does sound like a crappy situation. But there's a little more to the story, apparently.

Fort Wayne media jumping to conclusions about a story that doesn't even involve them? Shocking!!

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Growlers managed to tip the ice in Estero in their favor on Monday night. The two teams either will or already have shared a flight to St. John's to prepare for the next two (or 3 or 4) games in the Newfoundland springtime. I hope the air crew were prepared. :fight:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
BOISE — A perfect storm of weekend events in downtown Boise created a less-than-ideal hotel situation for the Toledo Walleye.

The players ended up staying in the suites inside Idaho Central Arena on Saturday night after Game 1 of the Western Conference finals against the host Idaho Steelheads.

No hotel rooms were available in the downtown area and vicinity due in large part to a concert by country music star Luke Combs on Saturday night at nearby Boise State University.

The lack of available hotel rooms also was because of the Idaho state high school sports tournaments being held in and around the downtown area. There also were several conventions in the city. Rooms were booked as far as a month in advance.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
"A little more context on this only-in-the-ECHL drama:

As our Walleye beat writer, Mark Monroe, reported, the Walleye arrived in Boise on Thursday, but the downtown hotel where they spent the first two nights was booked Saturday. No other downtown hotels were available, either, thanks to a perfect storm of conventions, Idaho state high school sports tournaments, and a concert Saturday night by country music star Luke Combs that drew some 40,000 fans to Boise State University’s football stadium.

We’re told the Steelheads — who as the host team are responsible for making the hotel arrangements — provided the Walleye with several options for Saturday, including a Hampton Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Express, and a Courtyard by Marriott.

But those were at least 40 miles away, and, really, not options at all.

Think about it: Imagine a playoff opponent of the Red Wings busing to Toledo after a game one night, then heading back up first thing the next day for a morning skate before an afternoon game.

Instead, the Walleye chose the closest place on the list, a three-star chain hotel 10 minutes outside downtown, because, hey, how bad could it be?

Well ...

Let’s just say they learned why it was available.

One player found mouse droppings in his room, others bed bugs, and, judging by the hundreds of online reviews of the hotel, those might have been the honeymoon suites. (One of the nicer reviews: “Found dirty socks in the drawer next to the bed with a sex toy.”)"

(paywall)

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
BOISE — A perfect storm of weekend events in downtown Boise created a less-than-ideal hotel situation for the Toledo Walleye.

The players ended up staying in the suites inside Idaho Central Arena on Saturday night after Game 1 of the Western Conference finals against the host Idaho Steelheads.

No hotel rooms were available in the downtown area and vicinity due in large part to a concert by country music star Luke Combs on Saturday night at nearby Boise State University.

The lack of available hotel rooms also was because of the Idaho state high school sports tournaments being held in and around the downtown area. There also were several conventions in the city. Rooms were booked as far as a month in advance.

@snowave beat you to this first report above.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Anyway, thanks for sharing the additional info.

Again, it sucks and I truly feel bad for the Walleye... but probably not anyone's fault. When there is an event at BSU (concert or big football game)... getting a room anywhere near downtown is next to impossible. Heck, same could be said for many cities when there is a big event at a stadium. (I remember trying to get a room near Pasadena/LA when the Rose Bowl was booked for U2. Nothing available for 25 miles in any direction! And that's LA)!

personally, I think getting all those beds and putting them into the suites is a generous idea and I'd be thankful the Steelheads were even able to do that.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
While both teams should carry some blame equally, I don’t blame either directly because I don’t believe there was any malice Idaho’s part nor do I believe that Toledo didn’t do its homework.

But...

As someone who worked in professional hockey, and traveled for that work within professional hockey I have to say that mistakes were made. When I was involved with the AHL, it was always the league that handled travel once you got to the conference finals and Calder Cup. I’m shocked that’s not the case in the ECHL although I do understand there is some cost constraints which likely prevent that, however, that would have prevented a lot of the mistakes that were made.

Once Idaho earned the top seed they should have been blocking off rooms in Boise, and especially when they learned of Luke Combs concert and other events, they should have been proactive. The ECHL has a block of dates for when each series is scheduled to be played regardless of opponent. Boise knew as the home seed they’d likely be playing last weekend before the playoffs begun regardless of whom they were playing.

Idaho wasn’t proactive enough so that leads to the second point. They shouldn’t have left it to Toledo to book its own rooms, and they should have maintained close consultation with Toledo about the marketplace. Idaho ownership owns multiple hotels in Boise including the one attached to the arena. Notwithstanding, the hotel’s Idaho did recommended to Toledo they should have been sounding the fire alarm about where Toledo eventually ended up.

And, Toledo should have known better than to book some two star dive that from all accounts wasn’t fit for man nor beast. Was it about saving a buck? That’s silly because this likely cost them a whole lot more in the end. You get what you pay for.

I commend Idaho for working to get something workable, but here’s the biggest point that I believe got lost in the story. There are minimum requirements for accommodations in the ECHL CBA when a team travels on the road. And, whether its the two star dive or the last minute slumber party accommodations, neither one of them met those guidelines and I can almost guarantee the PHPA is speaking with every player and there will be some sort of grievance filed to the ECHL at some point.

The league could solve all these issues by taking control of travel in the later rounds of the playoffs. It done already in the AHL where they handle all travel among the remaining teams, of course working with each host city, but the responsibility falls on the league to make sure each city is required to have designated hotels, meal plans and appropriate medical facilities available to the league for scheduling purposes, and if the perfect storm happens as did in Boise then the league will be make adjustments for the playoff format. An example was during the 2005-06 playoffs, the Portland Pirates went to the Eastern Conference Finals. Due to scheduling in the Divisional Finals vs. Hartford, Portland played a 2-4-1 series due to arena availability and other events. It continued in the Eastern Conference Final where it was a 2-2-2-1 series, again due to arena availability in both Hershey and Portland. Game 7 which would have been scheduled in Portland was played in Hershey – and history was written as Hershey won in OT, and went on to win the Cup.

Point is the league could have prevented many of these issues by taking a more proactive approach, but they didn’t, and under the circumstances kudos to Idaho for stepping up to the plate and coming up with a plan, but I hope there are some valuable lessons learned for the future.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
"A little more context on this only-in-the-ECHL drama ..."
One David Briggs of said Toledo Blade should be assigned to beat writing for a season in a Single A hockey town. Establishing credible perspectives are a key element of journalism.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Meanwhile, hockey plays on ...
ECHL TODAY - MAY 24
ECHL Today
6 hours ago

Western Conference Finals

Idaho Steelheads at Toledo Walleye 7:15 p.m. ET
Idaho leads series 2-0

Series Matchup Sheet
  • Idaho’s Wade Murphy leads the playoffs with 10 goals.
  • Toledo’s Sebastian Cossa is second with a 1.41 goals-against average.
  • Steelheads lead the playoffs with 42.38 shots per game.
  • Walleye are 8-0 when scoring first.
  • Game 4 is Friday at 7:15 p.m. ET at Toledo ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Newfoundland kills two 5-on-4 power plays in the first OT session, then wins Game #4 in the closing seconds of the 4th period on their own man advantage. Eastern Conference series is now tied 2-2.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

SCHEDULE ANNOUNCED FOR 2023 KELLY CUP FINALS

2023 Kelly Cup Finals
an hour ago

idh-fla-2023-kelly-cup-finals

The ECHL announced on Tuesday the schedule for the 2023 Kelly Cup Finals between the Idaho Steelheads and Florida Everblades.
[Everblades lead series 2-0]
Game 1 – Saturday, June 3 ... FLORIDA 3 at Idaho 2 (1OT)
Game 2 – FLORIDA 5 at Idaho 3
Game 3 – Wednesday, June 7 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Hertz Arena in Estero, Florida
Game 4 – Friday, June 9 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Hertz Arena in Estero, Florida
Game 5 – Saturday, June 10 at 7:00 p.m. ET at Hertz Arena in Estero, Florida *
Game 6 – Tuesday, June 13 at 7:10 p.m. MT at Idaho Central Arena in Boise, Idaho *
Game 7 – Wednesday, June 14 at 7:10 p.m. MT at Idaho Central Arena in Boise, Idaho *

* – If Necessary

Idaho defeated Toledo 4 games to 1 in the Western Conference Finals to reach the Kelly Cup Finals for the fourth time in team history and first since 2010. Florida defeated Newfoundland 4 games to 2 in the Eastern Conference Finals to reach the Kelly Cup Finals for the second consecutive season, and sixth time in team history, tied for the most in ECHL history. ...

Read more at: Schedule announced for 2023 Kelly Cup Finals

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad