Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: The frenzy is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Whoever scheduled Free Agency Day on the Full Moon has a great sense of humor. Some GM's will become lunatics tomorrow.

Malkin almost got Nuke money on his new deal. Valeri sets the standard now.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I’m going to be working from home so it’ll be easy enough to have Twitter open on my laptop beside me while I work. I don’t need the TV coverage and all the filler nonsense.

Reactions: Avsboy

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Prediction Tomorrow:

- Trocheck, Tierney, Lyubushskin
- Mack re-signing
- ~5 minor league deals to fill out the 50 man roster

Lekky re-sign in a couple days after the dust settles on UFAs and Mack

Also, GDT thread for Free Agent Frenzy and lock this?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I agree with what you're saying that it's cyclical but at the same time, the very best teams don't tend to stay down too long and some teams that are 'up-and-coming' never truly get over the hump.

The difference is usually good management vs bad management. Knowing when to 'go for it' and when to hold back usually separates the good ones from the bad ones.

Out of the teams you listed, I believe you are right with New Jersey though they'll have to proceed carefully and build it the right way without trying to take shortcuts. Los Angeles looked a lot better when Alex Turcotte was supposed to be a top notch prospect. The jury is still out on Byfield as well but if neither pan out, that's going to hurt their chances going forward.

As far as Ottawa goes, I just don't think Dorion is a good enough manager to get it done. They'll end up a good team though for sure at some point but probably not a true contender. I think Mr. "The Rebuild is over" is going to find a way to f*** it up.

Lastly, the NYR's core is probably older than ours. Apart from Fox, Shesterkin and the 2 "Top-2" wingers they got in recent drafts, they are severely lacking in the young center department. Panarin is 30, Zibanejad is 29, Kreider is 31. If they sign Kadri as rumored, that's not going to add to getting younger.

I would add Detroit to the list as I think they've done a good job since Yzerman took over. You can tell he's not going to rush it and he's going to build that team the right way.

That's definitely true... Unfortunately the very best teams that dont tend to stay down long, do so because they draft exceptionally well. The Avs are not one of those teams, unless we start getting hits on our draft picks that aren't 1st rounders, it'll be a painful rebuild in ~3-5 years from now. Sort of like how Philly never gets over the hump because they try rushing that process instead of being patient.

Dorion has made some fantastic moves this past week. If anything I think Melnyk clearly had a massive impact on what he was able to do before and now that he clearly has more freedom to act as he wants, that team is going to take huge strides quickly IMO. I follow them closely, one of my best friends is a die hard Sens fan and this past week has given them more optimism then the previous 5 years pretty much since the cup run.

As for the Rangers... For them I think it largely depends on Laf/Kakko and whether or not they take that next step developmentally. I also think they're a team with a shorter window. I had said anywhere from ~3-5 years is a teams true contention window, I suspect NYR will be a 3 year team honestly, unless LAF/Kakko take huge steps.

Detroit is another up and coming team, but I think they've had some iffy drafts of late. I think they're a year or two behind the other guys at this point.

Reactions: Bender

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Prediction Tomorrow:

- Mack re-signing

I could see that.

Lando-Nuke-Mack
Lehky-Trocheck-Rants
Hook-Tierney-JTC
Cogs-Meyers-LOC
MacDermid

Toews-Makar
Byram-EJ
G-Lyubushkin
MacDonald

Georgiev
Frankie

Also gonna start the GDT, but may not make it live. I recall issues with live threads during the trade deadline.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Prediction Tomorrow:

- Mack re-signing

I think Lyubushkin is the most anti-Avs defensemen and the Avs will definitely stay far, far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad