Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Let’s Run it Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Lol. Jack Johnson is not getting 1M per.

I don't know why you keep bringing up this supposed "Stanley Cup tax" as if the Avs now have to overpay players because they won the Cup. It's insane.
Precisely. Jack John should thank the gods that he gets a check with the name of an NHL hockey team next year. He apparently got nothing but a PTO last year, and did nothing to establish that he warrants anything more than league minimum. I just don't see any team automatically bumping him in salary because he was on a cup winning team...as the worst player on the roster by a mile.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Again, you are underestimating how ruthless that management group is. Management will do what they can to ice the best team to win in the now. The locker room understands the bigger picture.

Take age out of the equation then, Nichushkin is a better player than Palat.
How ruthless that management group is? How are they ruthless? What have they done that's ruthless besides what they did to McDonagh?
Apparently the Pens were offering 6M X 2 to Malkin, then offered 6M X 3..but Malkin wants the Letang contract (6M X 6).

That'd be a f***ing terrible contract. Pens aren't winning another cup with that core and missed their chance to trade Malkin and Letang last year. Now what do you do with that team?

Let Malkin walk, trade Crosby and enjoy Letang finishing his career in a rebuild. That's the only way out at this point.

Missed a golden opportunity to get a nice kickstart for that rebuild with the return from Letang and Malkin trades.
Are you seriously saying a team that just finished the season with 103 points and took the Rangers to 7 games with a 3rd string goalie and injured Crosby/Malkin should blow it up?

Come on. That team does not need to blow it up and rebuild. This isn't Chicago. Crosby and Letang are still playing at incredibly high levels. 3 years from now? Yeah, it's gonna be ugly. But the next couple of years? That team absolutely still believes it can contend.

If anything the bad contract given out was to Jeff Carter. No reason for him to be given that.

Reactions: MoreLikeTurdCrapley

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Anyone who thinks a Girard trade will return some legit #2 Center or top 6 forward should look at what the Canes got for Tony DeAngelo.

"The Hurricanes are receiving a 2022 fourth-round pick (No. 101 overall), a 2023 third-round pick, and second-round pick in 2024 from the Flyers in the deal for DeAngelo, who signed a two-year, $10 million contract with Philadelphia after the trade"

And DeAngelo is arguably much better than Girard.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Sorry if this has been discussed already but what’s a realistic return Avs could provide for Patrick Kane? You’re basically getting a one year rental but given his skill level would have to imagine it starts with Newhook plus a first if not (much) more. I do think the Avs would obviously be a preferred destination for him.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Anyone who thinks a Girard trade will return some legit #2 Center or top 6 forward should look at what the Canes got for Tony DeAngelo.

"The Hurricanes are receiving a 2022 fourth-round pick (No. 101 overall), a 2023 third-round pick, and second-round pick in 2024 from the Flyers in the deal for DeAngelo, who signed a two-year, $10 million contract with Philadelphia after the trade"

Girard is signed for many more years at a reasonable cap hit, going into his prime. No attitude problems. Not comparable.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

TDA has been on 5 teams in 7 years. I think this factors into his trade value and don’t agree that he’s way better than G sorry.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Girard is on a team friendly contract through the 2026-2027 season, isn't a massive distraction, hasn't bounced around from team to team and outside of fan interest, does not appear to be on the trading block.

Cost control years adds more value to a player similar to baseball.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If anything, the fact DeAngelo with all the baggage he comes with, as an RFA.... Still managed to fetch a 2nd + 3rd + 4th, all that does is solidify even further the absolute haul Girard would get.

Not to mention Romanov getting the 13th overall pick as well.

Girard would fetch a kings ransom if the Avs traded him. 23 years old signed for 5 more years at a great cap hit and an already established #3 PMD.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Sorry if this has been discussed already but what’s a realistic return Avs could provide for Patrick Kane? You’re basically getting a one year rental but given his skill level would have to imagine it starts with Newhook plus a first if not (much) more. I do think the Avs would obviously be a preferred destination for him.
I could see us making a move for Kane at the deadline if we need a scoring punch but I don't see it as a off-season move that Sakic will make.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
I love that he didn't just say DeAngelo is better than Girard (which is ridiculous obviously) but he said DeAngelo is "much" better than Girard.

I mean, what do you even say to something that stupid?

T-minus 10 seconds until he lashes out and calls everyone here "sheep" now.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
If anything, the fact DeAngelo with all the baggage he comes with, as an RFA.... Still managed to fetch a 2nd + 3rd + 4th, all that does is solidify even further the absolute haul Girard would get.

Not to mention Romanov getting the 13th overall pick as well.

Girard would fetch a kings ransom if the Avs traded him. 23 years old signed for 5 more years at a great cap hit and an already established #3 PMD.

I don't buy the team friendly contract bit. If anything he is overpaid for what he brings. Literally the only thing he offers is puck moving. That's it. He can't defend. He can't play on the PK. He can't run a PP. He doesn't put up points.

Maybe some team will value his puck retrieval but I think he is massively over-rated on these boards.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I don't buy the team friendly contract bit. If anything he is overpaid for what he brings. Literally the only thing he offers is puck moving. That's it. He can't defend. He can't play on the PK. He can't run a PP. He doesn't put up points.

Maybe some team will value his puck retrieval but I think he is massively over-rated on these boards.
He was one of the best transition and possession D in the entire league 20-21. He did fall off after the Vegas series, but got back to his ways towards the end of the season. He absolutely holds more value at his age and contract. Tony D can't even stay on the same team.

MoreLikeTurdCrapley

Jun 30, 2019
8CEEB289-6EF5-436E-A964-636166BEC75A.gif

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I love that he didn't just say DeAngelo is better than Girard (which is ridiculous obviously) but he said DeAngelo is "much" better than Girard.

I mean, what do you even say to something that stupid?

T-minus 10 seconds until he lashes out and calls everyone here "sheep" now.

It's ok that fans over value their own players. It happens with every fan base.

DeAngelo 5'11, 180
270 GP, 157 points, .58 PPG

Girard 5'10, 170
340 GP, 144 points, .42 PPG

DeAngelo scores more. Is as good of a puck mover as Girard, can run a PP1 and actually isn't a liability as a defender.

Girard is a nice player but I think people should temper their expectations about what he will return in a trade.

Reactions: AvStock

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's ok that fans over value their own players. It happens with every fan base.

DeAngelo 5'11, 180
270 GP, 157 points, .58 PPG

Girard 5'10, 170
340 GP, 144 points, .42 PPG

DeAngelo scores more. Is as good of a puck mover as Girard, can run a PP1 and actually isn't a liability as a defender.

Girard is a nice player but I think people should temper their expectations about what he will return in a trade.

wtf? A liability as a defender is exactly what deangelo is and Girard isn’t.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
How ruthless that management group is? How are they ruthless? What have they done that's ruthless besides what they did to McDonagh?

Ask Tyler Johnson who also had a NTC. Extended JT Miller 5 years, traded him to a not so good Vancouver team a year later. This loyalty thing is a two way street, if that's what it's about why is Palat testing free agency?

Any GM out there would take Nichushkin over Palat hands down, this isn't some hot take.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Girard's abilities or attributes aren't really the issue. He's a nice puck moving D-men on a great contract. The issue is that he, and Newhook, are really only expendable assets that we have that could be used in a big trade. We have nothing else that's gonna move the dial should we need to acquire a 2C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad