NHL 2022-2023 Standings Watch - Updated 4/11

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Islanders hold serve against Buffalo last night.

They’re the very unsexy pick, but looking more and more likely to be Boston’s R1 opponent.

Ottawa and Buffalo still have games in hand but NYI is in the mix.

1678273035299.png

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Sure, but they both have to win all three games in hand to pull even with NYI.

Why are people sleeping on Florida? Have played more road games than
Ottawa and Buffalo. Granted have played a couple more games but they are still
talented and capable of a late burst. I would rather Ottawa, Buffalo or NYI than Florida.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why are people sleeping on Florida? Have played more road games than
Ottawa and Buffalo. Granted have played a couple more games but they are still
talented and capable of a late burst. I would rather Ottawa, Buffalo or NYI than Florida.

I sleep on no one. You could make an argument that any team could be a challenge in the first round, but also that the Bruins should win in no more than 5 against any team.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I sleep on no one. You could make an argument that any team could be a challenge in the first round, but also that the Bruins should win in no more than 5 against any team.

Florida is the only team I see amongst Ottawa, NYI, and Buffalo with depth up front
and a goalie capable of going off to create a 7 game series. Ottawa lacks good goaltending and NYI lack depth scoring.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Florida is the only team I see amongst Ottawa, NYI, and Buffalo with depth up front
and a goalie capable of going off to create a 7 game series. Ottawa lacks good goaltending and NYI lack depth scoring.
And Florida lacks defense. There’s a reason they’re fifth in the WC race by points percentage.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
And Florida lacks defense. There’s a reason they’re fifth in the WC race by points percentage.

They can be exploited on that 3rd pair for certain and Ekblad is prone to brain farts but
that lack of D can be compensated sometimes by effort and goaltending. Still doesn't change the fact they have a deep offense and a goalie who has played well in the PO before.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
and a goalie capable of going off to create a 7 game series.
Ottawa lacks good goaltending and NYI lack depth scoring.

You think so? Bobrovsky over the last 3 playoffs has an .899 SV% which isn't going to cut it for the playoffs. Knight has almost no playoff experience and hasn't exactly been great in his first 2 full seasons, sporting a .905 SV% for Florida.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If I had to pick a team I would prefer not to play in round 1 it would probably be the Islanders. They apparently have reverted back to the boring but effective 1-3-1 that they employed under Trotz and they have very good goaltending. They likely get back Barzal for the playoffs and they have tons of playoff experience. That being said I still think Boston wins that series in 5, possibly 6 games.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You think so? Bobrovsky over the last 3 playoffs has an .899 SV% which isn't going to cut it for the playoffs. Knight has almost no playoff experience and hasn't exactly been great in his first 2 full seasons, sporting a .905 SV% for Florida.
Capable of and doing ot are different.

But he is capable of doing it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Capable of and doing ot are different.

But he is capable of doing it.

That's fair, but couldn't you kind of make that argument for others as well though? It was mentioned by OP that Ottawa lacks good goaltending, but If Talbot isn't seriously injured and Ottawa makes the playoffs, isn't Talbot capable of going off to create a 7 games series?

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That's fair, but couldn't you kind of make that argument for others as well though? It was mentioned by OP that Ottawa lacks good goaltending, but If Talbot isn't seriously injured and Ottawa makes the playoffs, isn't Talbot capable of going off to create a 7 games series?
Yes I can. And I will. They are NHL goalies therefore capable. Doesn't mean they will.

Reactions: ON3M4N

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Bruins can clinch a playoff spot tomorrow if Buffalo and Ottawa both lose in regulation or OT and the Bruins win

Buffalo plays Dallas, Ottawa plays Seattle. It's doable.

Reactions: 13Hockey

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
As of today, the Bruins' most probable Round 1 opponents according to:

MoneyPuck
Islanders = 32%
Panthers = 22%
Penguins = 13%
Senators = 12%

HockeyViz
Islanders = 28%
Penguins = 21%
Panthers = 18%
Senators = 8%

Reactions: Comedy of Errors

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Well they ran up against a close to dynasty TB team twice, so that's nothing to hang your head about. He is playing well now, so we'll see.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well they ran up against a close to dynasty TB team twice, so that's nothing to hang your head about. He is playing well now, so we'll see.

They got swept last year by Tampa and went to 6 games the previous year. Bobrovsky in those games against Tampa had an .892 SV% which is awful. His numbers haven't been great this year either with a .907 SV% for the season. He's got a decent 5v5 GSAA which ranks 15th and right above him is Igor and right below him is Samsonov. In all situations though it drops down to 21st in the NHL. Personally I don't think FLA goaltending is all that great. Knight has promise, but still young. Doesn't help that their defense is meh and Bobrovsky has faced the 13th most HDSA/60 this season.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
As of today, the Bruins' most probable Round 1 opponents according to:

MoneyPuck
Islanders = 32%
Panthers = 22%
Penguins = 13%
Senators = 12%

HockeyViz
Islanders = 28%
Penguins = 21%
Panthers = 18%
Senators = 8%
Not scared of any of these teams

But I’d perfer if we avoid the Islanders

Sorokin career vs Bs
1.71 GAA
.938 SV%

Bob career vs Bs
3.72 GAA
.895 SV%

Jarry career vs Bs
3.14 GAA
.906 SV%

DeSmith career vs Bs
2.83 GAA
.924 SV%

Talbot career vs Bs:
2.66 GAA
.921 SV%

Forsberg career vs Bs:
2.72 GAA
.922 SV%

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Not rooting for any matchup, have learned that lesson way too many times. The east is absolutely stacked and any opponent will be tough, but we absolutely can and should beat any of them. Will be fun to see how the spots and matchups Pan out. Regardless of the outcomes there are going to be 2-4 cup contenders knocked out of contention in round 1… and that’s just the east.

superman9989

Jul 27, 2010
Worst part of the matchups Boston could see, we’ve had trouble with Ottawa and Florida even though we’re on a different level and in 2 games vs Pittsburgh we’ve had 2 injuries to important players. I’d hate for us to get a team like Pittsburgh and have more of our players injured or we are overwhelmed by a mediocre team

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
They got swept last year by Tampa and went to 6 games the previous year. Bobrovsky in those games against Tampa had an .892 SV% which is awful. His numbers haven't been great this year either with a .907 SV% for the season. He's got a decent 5v5 GSAA which ranks 15th and right above him is Igor and right below him is Samsonov. In all situations though it drops down to 21st in the NHL. Personally I don't think FLA goaltending is all that great. Knight has promise, but still young. Doesn't help that their defense is meh and Bobrovsky has faced the 13th most HDSA/60 this season.

Well those stats are all well and good but he certainly has the ability to play several games in a series at high level. To paraphrase the investment advisory,
prior results do not guarantee future performance.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well those stats are all well and good but he certainly has the ability to play several games in a series at high level. To paraphrase the investment advisory,
prior results do not guarantee future performance.

So then how can you say Ottawa lacks good goaltending?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Not scared of any of these teams

But I’d perfer if we avoid the Islanders

Sorokin career vs Bs
1.71 GAA
.938 SV%

Bob career vs Bs
3.72 GAA
.895 SV%

Jarry career vs Bs
3.14 GAA
.906 SV%

DeSmith career vs Bs
2.83 GAA
.924 SV%

Talbot career vs Bs:
2.66 GAA
.921 SV%

Forsberg career vs Bs:
2.72 GAA
.922 SV%

Sorokin is a very good goalie but I think they chased him early in the series.

Speaking of the NYI, three plays turned that series in NYI favor.
G2 with Lauzon deflecting puck past Rask on PK and coughing it up in OT and Pastrnak missing a completely empty net with no one near him late in 1st of G4. Should have known it wasn't going to be their series after those plays.

Reactions: 13Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad