NHL 2022-2023 Standings Watch - Updated 4/11

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Imagine if Buffalo still had Ullmark? That was an amazing deal that Sweeney made.
The Sabres have not played a playoff game since losing in the first round in 2011.

@Chainshot feel free to interject but many Sabres fans believe the team has never recovered from this.

They tanked to get McDavid and wound up with Jack Eichel and that did not end well.

When Buffalo joined the NHL in 1970 it was the #19 TV market in the US, today it is ranked #53 BELOW Providence.

WNY loves hockey but the population shrank after the steel mill closed in the late 70s and unlike Pittsburgh, they couldn't reinvent themselves overnight. The Sabres have also been hampered by tougher border controls since 9/11. When I was younger crossing the Peace Bridge was as easy as crossing the Mystic-Tobin Bridge in Boston............not anymore.

As a city, Buffalo is starting to bounce back similar to Detroit.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Sabres have not played a playoff game since losing in the first round in 2011.

@Chainshot feel free to interject but many Sabres fans believe the team has never recovered from this.

They tanked to get McDavid and wound up with Jack Eichel and that did not end well.

When Buffalo joined the NHL in 1970 it was the #19 TV market in the US, today it is ranked #53 BELOW Providence.

WNY loves hockey but the population shrank after the steel mill closed in the late 70s and unlike Pittsburgh, they couldn't reinvent themselves overnight. The Sabres have also been hampered by tougher border controls since 9/11. When I was younger crossing the Peace Bridge was as easy as crossing the Mystic-Tobin Bridge in Boston............not anymore.

As a city, Buffalo is starting to bounce back similar to Detroit.

Not sure if the Miller-Lucic incident still has much bearing honestly. More that the ownership change injected a meddlesome fanboy who has hired a series of novices to be in positions of roster authority that have consistently gone sideways. Be that LaFontaine being hired to be team president who then hires Tim Murray to Murray's assembly of a nuthouse roster in terms of off the ice stuff to Botterill thinking he was the smartest guy in the room despite the evidence that he was most certainly not. Three important hires, the third of whom hired two of the most incompetent coaches I have ever had the misfortune of watching, and none of them with any prior experience doing the job they were asked to do at the level they were expected to do it.

As far as their TV market size issue, while the NY side of the Niagara frontier has shrunk, the Ontario side has grown but is outside their viewing radius. They draw well from the Niagara Region, upwards of a third of the season ticket base were Canadians, but the increase in border transit issues from increased screening times after 9/11 to COVID stuff, plenty have simply stopped making the trip.

As for Ullmark, I loved the guy and was disappointed that he signed with a divisional foe. But I don't begrudge him his success nor that he's grown considerably as a tender since getting to Boston. Think of his first year with the Bruins contrasted to this season - he's put in the work and improved above what he did in Buffalo. Not to say he wouldn't have done so but there is a big difference skating behind the defensively responsible machine that is the Bruins vs. just about everyone else in the league.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As far as their TV market size issue, while the NY side of the Niagara frontier has shrunk, the Ontario side has grown but is outside their viewing radius. They draw well from the Niagara Region, upwards of a third of the season ticket base were Canadians, but the increase in border transit issues from increased screening times after 9/11 to COVID stuff, plenty have simply stopped making the trip.
@Chainshot - The Sabres did get approval from the Canadian government to beam MSG-B to cable and satellite providers in Ontario between the Welland Canal and the Niagara River but only Bell carried the games, Rogers and Cogeco declined. The Red Wings have never applied for a waiver in the Windsor area.

Terry Pegula made some bad hires and honestly once he bought the Bills the Sabres became an afterthought.

KeyBank Center has aged badly and frankly it was hurt from the start as the Knox Family was not as wealthy as many thought and shortcuts were made during construction that can not be easily fixed today.

John Rigas was thought to be a savior in 1997 but.........................

Tom Golisano got tired of his toy and found Pegula.

When Buffalo was awarded an expansion franchise in 1970 the logical owner should have been Jeremey Jacobs but he deferred to the Knox brothers as he was preoccupied with trying to clean up the tarnished legacy of his father.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
@Chainshot - The Sabres did get approval from the Canadian government to beam MSG-B to cable and satellite providers in Ontario between the Welland Canal and the Niagara River but only Bell carried the games, Rogers and Cogeco declined. The Red Wings have never applied for a waiver in the Windsor area.

Terry Pegula made some bad hires and honestly once he bought the Bills the Sabres became an afterthought.

KeyBank Center has aged badly and frankly it was hurt from the start as the Knox Family was not as wealthy as many thought and shortcuts were made during construction that can not be easily fixed today.

John Rigas was thought to be a savior in 1997 but.........................

Tom Golisano got tired of his toy and found Pegula.

When Buffalo was awarded an expansion franchise in 1970 the logical owner should have been Jeremey Jacobs but he deferred to the Knox brothers as he was preoccupied with trying to clean up the tarnished legacy of his father.

If I were to expand on the issues with construction of the arena in the '90's, I would probably A) bore the pants off anyone who reads it and B) lose my moderating status. :biglaugh: Suffice to say, I have some strong opinions regarding the politics of arena construction in my old home town, as well as the graft that goes along with public works construction in many cities in the NE.

As all of this now relates to the team, the foundation of suck was tempered in the crucible of stank that was the involvement of Larry Quinn as team president or even going back further to his time helming the KBC construction project.

Suffice to say, the current owners have had some issues and it looks like in similar fashion to the Bills, they may have lucked into hiring a seemingly competent GM and coach.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Very quietly Detroit is making a playoff push

1676615391115.png

1676615432310.png

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
We have a 15 point lead on the division with a game in hand through 59 games.

Absurd. Three separate 7 game winning streaks this season.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins are going to win the Presidents' Trophy which carries baggage.

Who they meet in Round 1 is IMPOSSIBLE to project. I sense it will be Buffalo.

1677583075534.png

1677583144058.png

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Bruins have just been the model of consistency on this pace all season. Huge dropoff after the top six in the east. Pittsburgh and then Ottawa/Buffalo/Islanders fighting for that last spot to get eaten by the Bruins.

Points over 500 chart for the east.
bruins03052023.png

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I just don't want Ottawa in the first round. I'm confidant in the Bruins but Ottawa has given them problems and have nothing to lose. Either they finish WC1 and take on Carolina or don't get in.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Avs shutout Vegas. They're going to top the west again and be the team to beat in that conference. They stay healthy now and they have a very clear path back to the finals.

I think Vegas or Dallas will give Colorado everything they can handle. If Stone comes back healthy they will beat the Avs. If not still a battle royal. Colorado will be sweating bullets all playoffs regarding Maker's concussion issue.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I think Vegas or Dallas will give Colorado everything they can handle. If Stone comes back healthy they will beat the Avs. If not still a battle royal. Colorado will be sweating bullets all playoffs regarding Maker's concussion issue.
The West is a complete crapshoot the way I see it. The Stars have impressed me the most this season. They have unbelievable firepower and great D.

It likely comes down to injuries and which goalies can catch fire. There is such a fine line dividing the Western teams. An argument can be made for 6 or 7 of those teams having a good shot at making it to the SCF. It could be darkhorse city in the West this playoffs.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
The West is a complete crapshoot the way I see it. The Stars have impressed me the most this season. They have unbelievable firepower and great D.

It likely comes down to injuries and which goalies can catch fire. There is such a fine line dividing the Western teams. An argument can be made for 6 or 7 of those teams having a good shot at making it to the SCF. It could be darkhorse city in the West this playoffs.
On the note of the underdog, I am not a Korpi fan, but watch for the Kings to make a run now that they have decent goaltending.

Reactions: missingchicklet

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
On the note of the underdog, I am not a Korpi fan, but watch for the Kings to make a run now that they have decent goaltending.
Yeah, for sure they are still in the mix if they can get hot goaltending. They have scored more goals than the Stars and are right there with the Kraken in that dept. Only Edm is above those teams in goals scored. LA, Vegas, and Dallas are all within a point or two of each other for conference leader. Kings DIFF of only +3 is well behind the other Western contenders, but that is because of all the goals they allow. A hot goalie there puts them in the mix big time. Fun team to watch.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
radar to LTIR who saw that coming?

might help tampa but vasi has been up and down

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Agreed. I'm not saying that Colorado are obviously going to be the last man standing in the west, just that there's no team that poses an insurmountable obstacle to them. They still have every chance to push for another finals appearance if they can stay healthy and find form at the right time. But absolutely Vegas or Dallas can beat them, perhaps the Kings on a hot run or even the Oilers if they can actually get some half-decent defense and goaltending for more than 5 mins.

It's fine margins in the west for sure, and the Avs don't feel as dominant as they did last year. But they've still got every chance. How motivated are they though for another long run? That could be a significant factor.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad