Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Cooley will be better than Slaf offensively i don't think there's much doubt about it. But Cooley reminds me Zegras i.e. a guy i would not want to build a team around. Cooley 200 feet game needs A LOT of work and as a center i'm not sure he'll ever be able to reach a level good enough to be a 1st line center you want to build around.
So you’re implying that based on what you’ve seen, you’d prefer to want to build a team around Slafkovsky?

• Haha
Reactions: River Meadow

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I really couldn’t give a rat’s ass about Wright but his strengths are things I respect in prospects and his weaknesses I generally tend to forgive.

Even so, I’m certain he would’ve mustered more than 10pts in a half season. As would Cooley.

Does it matter “in the long term”? No, not really.

But the nonstop hyping of Slafkovsky after his disaster of a premier season is laughable.

I don't think you realize Wright actually did worse than Slaf in the nhl this season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ouf tu l'échappes là.

Nicholas worked with Brian Dumoulin, Boldy, Hathaway, Wahlstrom, Colin White, Hanifin, Donato, Alex Tuch, Charlie Coyle, etc, etc. He has a great reputation around the skills coaching world.

You are not hired from the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens if you dont know what you do on a skills perspective. There are tons and tons of skills coach, but Nicholas has been one of the best one on the planet.
I see no track records with teams and random names thrown around and the appeal to autorithy used.

You absolutely get hited by TO and MTL it you dont know what youre doing, you just have to know the right people.

Bergevin? Like lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Addik04

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I really couldn’t give a rat’s ass about Wright but his strengths are things I respect in prospects and his weaknesses I generally tend to forgive.

Even so, I’m certain he would’ve mustered more than 10pts in a half season. As would Cooley.
How are you certain of this? And even if they did, what does it mean?

That they would have had better rookie seasons?

Ok...and?
Does it matter “in the long term”? No, not really.
So why constantly bring that up as a talking point?
But the nonstop hyping of Slafkovsky after his disaster of a premier season is laughable.
No one has hyped Slafkovsky “disaster of a premier season”

The only thing I've seen is folks suggesting we shouldn't base a player’s career based on 39 NHL games.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So you’re implying that based on what you’ve seen, you’d prefer to want to build a team around Slafkovsky?

Slafkovsky is not a center. We are not building this team around him. He's going to be a big winger that will hopefully surround our top 6 center. Let's hope a good top 6 center his avalaible for us this year, What i'm saying is i don't think Cooley will be one. He'll do point but the rest i'm not sure.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
2 pts in 8 games (0.25 ppg), and struggled to be a regular
vs
10 pts in 39 games (0.26 ppg)
You assume that with more NHL experience and more minutes he would've kept the same pace. Slafkovsky struggled to be a regular and he had 39 match sample proving it. Only Canadiens were idiotic enough to keep him around after he was concussed twice and still looking at his skates.

Slaf on the other hand was in a 15 match pointless streak when taken out for the season. Even 20 point season could've been a struggle.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
You assume that with more NHL experience and more minutes he would've kept the same pace. Slafkovsky struggled to be a regular and he had 39 match sample proving it. Only Canadiens were idiotic enough to keep him around after he was concussed twice and still looking at his skates.
Ah, because Slaf played big minutes with good players i suppose?

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Slaf on the other hand was in a 15 match pointless streak when taken out for the season. Even 20 point season could've been a struggle.

You literally could make the same argument for Slaf. He played on the 4th line for most of the games.

Slaf was a regular in the lineup the whole time and he got concussed 0 times, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Neither should've been in the nhl this season, and Cooley could've very well struggled like them if he was put in the same position.

Last edited:

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
You literally could make the same argument for Slaf. He played on the 4th line for most of the games.

Slaf was a regular in the lineup the whole time and he got concussed 0 times, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Neither should've been in the nhl this season, and Cooley could've very well struggled like them if he was put in the same position.
Slaf only got worse with more experience. It is proven fact with game film to back it up. With Slafkovsky we know you can't make same argument for him. Shows how lost Habs were with this project.

He was taken out twice with head injury. Maybe he passed the protocol every time. That would be the silver lining and biggest positive of this season. Hopefully this upper body injury doesn't have anything to do with multiple head traumas.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Slaf only got worse with more experience. It is proven fact with game film to back it up. With Slafkovsky we know you can't make same argument for him. Shows how lost Habs were with this project.

He was taken out twice with head injury. Maybe he passed the protocol every time. That would be the silver lining and biggest positive of this season. Hopefully this upper body injury doesn't have anything to do with multiple head traumas.
Can you share?

Reactions: Andrei79

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Can you share?
It’s a bit hard to point it out by showing him on game highlight recaps because he didn’t have any highlights moments in his last stretch of games (it was 15 0-pt games or something).

Imagine the poor sap who endeavours to make a Slafkovksy Welcome To The NHL highlights compilation.

The collective self-induced delusion over Slaf is hard to understand. Was what @Hoochi Papa said really so outrageous that you had to bad faith fact check him on it? How about you people prove he had *good* performances in his last fifteen games?

Why is it always bad faith toxic optimism? We all want his success but it’s impossible to have a clear conversation about him when people out right lie about things.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jack Skellington

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Can you share?
It’s kind of hard to share something like that. You’d have to go back and watch the games. The stats during his final dozen games back that up tho. He was really poor for the majority of the season. And that’s while looking at him with the expectations of an 18 year old rookie. If he doesn’t look any better next season, there’s going to be reason to be very concerned regardless of how young he is. That said, I expect he will be better.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Man, Rehabs or Expat or whatever his name is, is going to be eating some crow as early as next season. The non-stop daily bashing and relentless arguing about Slaf is incredible.

YARN | Obsess much? | Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994 ...

Reactions: SlafySZN and Seb

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It’s a bit hard to point it out by showing him on game highlight recaps because he didn’t have any highlights moments in his last stretch of games (it was 15 0-pt games or something).
So in other words, and i'm saying this with the upmost respect, your entire evaluation is based solely on production?

I mean, that's fine...not personally how I like to evaluate players, I like to look at context and the entire picture.

But nothing wrong with just focusing on production either I suppose.
Imagine the poor sap who endeavours to make a Slafkovksy Welcome To The NHL highlights compilation.

The collective self-induced delusion over Slaf is hard to understand. Was what @Hoochi Papa said really so outrageous that you had to bad faith fact check him on it? How about you people prove he had *good* performances in his last fifteen games?
Self-induced delusion? That's ironic...I can't speak for others, but i've never talked about Slafkovsky looking amazing, so you'll have to point that criticism in the direction of the intended target.

As for as fact checking @Hoochi Papa ...I didn't do that, I asked him to share something he claimed. You see, in order to "fact check" a claim, evidence has to be provided, hence why I asked so I could "fact check it", not because I don't believe him but because if there's proof that can help my evaluation of him as a prospect, I want to see it.

He's the one who said there's evidence that supports his claim, I just asked to see it.

Seems reasonable to me.

As for me proving he had "good" performances the last 15 games...I don't think you're able to, actually let me rephrase that, I don't think you're willing to capture evidence of such without it being supported with production, so that would be a pointless exercise.
Why is it always bad faith toxic optimism? We all want his success but it’s impossible to have a clear conversation about him when people out right lie about things.
What have you read from me that suggests I have toxic optimism.

I'll repeat what i've been saying since DAY 1...it's too early to draw any real conclusions and i'm perfectly content with waiting until there's more information to draw real conclusions.

You want to be first...I prefer being certain.

I'm not a "hot take" kind of guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schooner Guy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It’s kind of hard to share something like that. You’d have to go back and watch the games. The stats during his final dozen games back that up tho. He was really poor for the majority of the season. And that’s while looking at him with the expectations of an 18 year old rookie.
It's not hard to provide proof of something you claim is a fact. He wrote, and I quote

"Slaf only got worse with more experience. It is proven fact with game film to back it up"

HE's the one claiming that it's a proven fact and even ads there's film to back it up.

Why is it hard or wrong for me to ask him to share what he claims exists?

If he doesn’t look any better next season, there’s going to be reason to be very concerned regardless of how young he is. That said, I expect he will be better.
When aren't Habs fans concerned?

See when Kent Hughes told us all that they weren't looking for the best 18-19yr old, they were looking for the best player when he's 22-23yrs old...I listened.

I know having to wait 3-5 years is unbearable for most Habs fans, but i'm good with it.

While I don't think he showed a ton this year, I saw a solid baseline and I fully expect that progression to continue and manifest itself next season. Now that doesn't mean I think he's going to score 40 goals, but I personally saw a lot of encouraging signs as the season ended, his icetime was ramping up, he was being more aware on the ice and just looked a lot more comfortable then he looked early on.

Now i'm not going to claim that that is a "proven fact with game film to back it up" like someone else said, that was just my evaluation of him.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I don't think you realize Wright actually did worse than Slaf in the nhl this season.
Wright mostly did not play.
Was scratched for extended periods of time.

Not the same context.

Has for Slaf, I’d like him to go in the AHL next year with :

Kidney, Mesar, Roy, Mailloux, Farrell, Struble, Mysak.

I know he won’t but I feel like a big reason why there was that much injuries is because you had players not NHL ready putting themselfs in dangerous situation because they were not quite there yet.

I would see a MTL team composed like that

Caufield Suzuki HP
Hoffman Dach Gallagher
Anderson Dvorak Gurianov
Pezzeta Belzile/Evans Ylonen/Heineman

Matheson Barron
Guhle Savard
Xhekaj Harris/Kovacevich/Edmunstund

That’s our team without moves of the summer but still we’ve got enough players to let the kids have a lot of icetime in the A.

Wright mostly did not play.
Was scratched for extended periods of time.

Not the same context.

Has for Slaf, I’d like him to go in the AHL next year with :

Kidney, Mesar, Roy, Mailloux, Farrell, Struble, Mysak. I’d even our NHL d that can be sent down without waivers in that group

I know he won’t but I feel like a big reason why there was that much injuries is because you had players not NHL ready putting themselfs in dangerous situation because they were not quite there yet.

I would see a MTL team composed like that

Caufield Suzuki HP
Hoffman Dach Gallagher
Anderson Dvorak Gurianov
Pezzeta Belzile/Evans Ylonen/Heineman

Matheson Barron
Guhle Savard
Xhekaj Harris/Kovacevich/Edmunstund

That’s our team without moves of the summer but still we’ve got enough players to let the kids have a lot of icetime in the A.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Apparently @417 got stuck in semantics and it's blown out of proportions. Of course there is game film of Slafkovsky being horrible on ice. I assume there is some kind of NHL season pass where you can rewatch his intangibles-laden 15 match drought.

With Wright it's a case of make believe. Maybe his next 31 games are as bad as Juraj's. Slafkovsky was proven horrible.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Apparently @417 got stuck in semantics and it's blown out of proportions. Of course there is game film of Slafkovsky being horrible on ice. I assume there is some kind of NHL season pass where you can rewatch his intangibles-laden 15 match drought.
This is hilarious....YOU make a claim, I simply ask you if you can share and somehow i'm stuck in semantics?

I didn't say you were wrong, I didn't say it's bullshit...I just asked if you could share.

Based on your reluctance to answer the question or provide evidence of this "proven fact backed by game film", i'm assuming you're "proof" is just feelings, which is fine and like your cohort @ReHabs , it's directly related to a lack of production, not necessarily how he was playing.

Yawn.

With Wright it's a case of make believe. Maybe his next 31 games are as bad as Juraj's. Slafkovsky was proven horrible.
Who cares about such tiny samples, no matter who you're talking about.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That is extremely misleading.

Wright was never given a chance in Seattle due to their depth and the fact that they were actually trying to make the playoffs from the moment the season started.

Wright may very well have outperformed Slaf in Montreal where he would have been given the chance to produce and there is zero chance that Seattle would have kept Slafkovsky with the team imo.

Slaf was very underwhelming to say the least and his performance should not be cited as a positive. He was only 18 and nobody should be concerned yet as he still has a ton of potential as does Wright who was given less of an opportunity due to no fault of his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad