Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Marc-Antoine Godin of The Athletic said that Adam Nicholas has been sending videos to Slaf on Matthew Tkachuk, showing him what he does so well, combining offensive skills, grit & physicality. And the plan to mold him isn't a one-season thing. It's a gradual process.
Why draft matt tkachuks brother when you can draft someone else a few years later and try to turn them into a tkachuk?

In all seriousness though he needs to watch those guys and strive for that playstyle, them or Nichushkin

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Why draft matt tkachuks brother when you can draft someone else a few years later and try to turn them into a tkachuk?

In all seriousness though he needs to watch those guys and strive for that playstyle, them or Nichushkin
If I remember correctly, the narrative around Tkachuk at that draft was he was the safe pick with a 50 or so point ceiling. I remember because I admittedly was one of those people. I’ll eat crow on that one. Doesn’t excuse the guys who actually get paid to do this tho. They let our team become so centre starved that they played Drouin at this position for a year straight after the Desharnais era. They had no idea what to do to fill that void and we were all restless at the time leading to them going off the board on a long shot in Kohtkaniemi.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Can't wait to see him back in the lineup. Losing an entire season of development sucks.

just more of the same failed management in Montreal, nothing changes here. Rush a kid for no reason, he gets hurt, loses an entire year where he could have been in the AHL at a better speed/pace for his growth. Kent and his homeboys are just as failed as the gong show before him, the system here is flawed from top to bottom. Now we have a collection of injured rookies who are a year behind, and for no good reason at all.

Lex Luther ' may' or may not be better at drafting, but his handling of talent is beer league skill level at best and is a total bust so far in his young career. He can redeem himself by firing the entire training staff, but you know he won't because the Canadiens are just an old boys club that put their buddies first, players second, fans a distant third.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I want him to play like Rantanen, their skillset are much more complimentary, but what do I know, Im not Adam Nicholas, the guy who developped *checks notes* absolutely no one.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
just more of the same failed management in Montreal, nothing changes here. Rush a kid for no reason, he gets hurt, loses an entire year where he could have been in the AHL at a better speed/pace for his growth. Kent and his homeboys are just as failed as the gong show before him, the system here is flawed from top to bottom. Now we have a collection of injured rookies who are a year behind, and for no good reason at all.

Lex Luther ' may' or may not be better at drafting, but his handling of talent is beer league skill level at best and is a total bust so far in his young career. He can redeem himself by firing the entire training staff, but you know he won't because the Canadiens are just an old boys club that put their buddies first, players second, fans a distant third.

You're just repeating the same dogma. Repeating a dogma doesn't make it true. There is no science backing your dogma; other than a casual agreement among certain posters.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You're just repeating the same dogma. Repeating a dogma doesn't make it true. There are is no science backing your dogma; other than a casual agreement among certain posters.

ok and go ahead, prove me wrong. Tell me the rash of injuries aren't from rushing a bunch of kids for reasons other than poor roster management, and not in the name of the betterment of the rookies. The history of man games lost isn't a big secret in Montreal from the year prior, so what was going to make it better this year?

Go ahead and show me where 18 year old kids should be playing on a rebuilding team, surrounded by other kids, and where it has worked.

Its irresponsible , but go ahead and show me otherwise.

Reactions: Wats

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Habs drafted a physical specimen, and are trying to mold him into what they want him to be.

It's an interesting idea.

Will it work?
He could be entering college as a 240lbs freshman with nhl experience. I think the kid has potential. (Edit - he’s 19 now. Note quite a bust yet, but would be a sophomore I guess).

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He could be entering college as a 240lbs freshman with nhl experience. I think the kid has potential. (Edit - he’s 19 now. Note wuite a bust yet, but would be a sophmore I guess).

this...

for all the talk about Cooley, can you imagine what Slaf would've done in the NCAA had he played there this season?

He was a dominant goal-scoring force at the Olympics, outshining any of the team US players, including several college stars.

Put him in the NCAA this year, and he's a hobey baker finalist and the same fans that are all concerned about his 18-year old NHL debut season and projecting him to be not worth the draft spot would be planning his HOF party and praising he wisdom of the habs scouting dept.

Time will tell who from the 2022 draft class emerges as the best player from that year, but at this point, there is no reason to doubt that Slaf could wear that mantle... it just isn't going to be the immediate slam dunk that generational talents like Crosby/McD are.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I want him to play like Rantanen, their skillset are much more complimentary, but what do I know, Im not Adam Nicholas, the guy who developped *checks notes* absolutely no one.
He said he’s watching Matt Tkachuk and Matthews videos. But yes, i also think Rantanen could be a closer comparison.

Adam Nicholas helped the development of many players and kids by the way…

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He said he’s watching Matt Tkachuk and Matthews videos. But yes, i also think Rantanen could be a closer comparison.

Oh yeah, who ?

The great kids he developped in Toronto or the great kids he developped in NY ? Both are development desert.

Reactions: Wats

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Slaf talked about watching Rantanen's videos earlier in the season. He's probably sampling various players to look at very specific things from each ones.

I don't think the process is about copy-pasting a single player.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Slaf talked about watching Rantanen's videos earlier in the season. He's probably sampling various players to look at very specific things from each ones.

That’s true!

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
More skill, less IQ/grit version of Brady was what I had in mind when we took him. He could learn a lot from both Tkachuks. Studying video and developing players with an actual plan is a great change but I feel like what Slaf really needs is some confidence. He seems like a player that is really dependent on it. He looked legitimately unstoppable at the WC against some pretty decent competition.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

Slaf's injury could be a blessing in disguise. He went back to school and watched a lot of videos. Next year he's going to shoot a lot more hopefully.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
If I remember correctly, the narrative around Tkachuk at that draft was he was the safe pick with a 50 or so point ceiling. I remember because I admittedly was one of those people. I’ll eat crow on that one. Doesn’t excuse the guys who actually get paid to do this tho. They let our team become so centre starved that they played Drouin at this position for a year straight after the Desharnais era. They had no idea what to do to fill that void and we were all restless at the time leading to them going off the board on a long shot in Kohtkaniemi.
Bud we played Drouin at center THIS YEAR. This is how much of a joke this franchise has become

We will find out later, its been tough getting a hold of the game Operation so this crank medical staff can pass their exam
They asked ChatGPT where to cut, should be fine

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

These are good players to try to emulate................that being said, he needs to keep his head up in the NHL. Learning to do that, will be a huge win for him and the habs.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad