Prospect Info: 2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Yo why do you take critical and rational thinking as being a hater?

We're not in elementary school, you gotta take constructive criticism and stop hiding behind your labels.

One thing the french of france do correctly is they're open to argue and have debates on anything.

Cut the beer and alchool and allow your selfs to grow intellectually.

And im not attacking you personally, im targeting any one who can't take a different opinion
You appropriated everyone’s opinion as though it were your own to make a point. That is not a debate.

You did not break down why you personnally think he is not ready, or even express it statistically. You stated “Its the opinion of the vast majority.”, which anyone could write about anything to try and make a point.

I agree he looks lost out there by the way.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'd support Slafkovsky spending time in the minors.

Tage Thompson played in the AHL for 70 games.
Mikko Rantanen played in the AHL for 56 games.
Slafkovsky's peers, David Jiricek and Simon Nemec, are both playing in the AHL.
More time in the minors or CHL would have helped Alex Galchenyuk and Jesperi Kotkaniemi, which I said at the time about two of the most rushed players in NHL history.

I think that caution is good. Can Slafkovsky learn by playing an ultraconservative game for ten minutes a game in the NHL? Maybe, but he'll probably learn more by being unleashed for twenty minutes a night in the AHL, where he can play on the first line, the PP, the PK, when the net is empty, etc.

Would you take the brightest medical student out of his first semester classes and put him in a trauma emergency room? Why or why not?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Tough guy enforcers don’t typically play against much less get allowed to target finesse players. Even if they do, they’re usually slower and more undisciplined than the player they’re trying to hit. If Slaf cannot hold his own against borderline AHLers then he surely can’t be expected to play against NHLers.

Are you talking about the AHL? Veteran tough guy types are often key players on AHL teams. The model is changing as the NHL changes, but slowly.

In any case I don't completely disagree with you. I don't think that sending Slaf to the AHL is a bad idea because of this issue alone. In fact, I don't actually have a strong opinion either way... but you were asking about the AHL... maybe ask some of the other guys who watch a lot of AHL games or watch some games it's fun.. it's really a very different league in some ways.

Reactions: cphabs and ReHabs

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

More time in the minors or CHL would have helped Alex Galchenyuk and Jesperi Kotkaniemi, which I said at the time about two of the most rushed players in NHL history.

I think that caution is good. Can Slafkovsky learn by playing an ultraconservative game for ten minutes a game in the NHL? Maybe, but he'll probably learn more by being unleashed for twenty minutes a night in the AHL, where he can play on the first line, the PP, the PK, when the net is empty, etc.

Would you take the brightest medical student out of his first semester classes and put him in a trauma emergency room? Why or why not?
Yes

:sarcasm:

1672237951421.jpeg

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I totally agree that if Jiricek and Nemec can apprentice in the AHL them Slaf should as well.
Playing 17 minutes a game, PP time and even killing penalties would do him good.
The only issue is there are no decent centers in Laval. Not a strong supporting cast at all.
It can't be that hard to trade for a great AHL center.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I totally agree that if Jiricek and Nemec can apprentice in the AHL them Slaf should as well.
Playing 17 minutes a game, PP time and even killing penalties would do him good.
The only issue is there are no decent centers in Laval. Not a strong supporting cast at all.
I said from
The get go that he should start in Laval….i just thought it would do wonders for his development but as you alluded to…no grade A C to feed him the puck….I’m ok with him being in Montreal though but i do have my preference

Ajhccwrs

Jun 17, 2017
I find the referenced concern is normally oh we did this to KK and AG well, I hate to burst your bubble but those to have glaring personality flaws. Slaf from this point doesn't show any of those. Those personality flaws ultimately were the factor in why they never became successful.

Slaf imo will achieve his potential whether he plays in the ahl or plays in the nhl hes just that type of person. He'll there has only been 2 wingers better them him this season. Dach and Cole.

Reactions: Pomee and jrom

DailyKaizen

So rushing an 18 year old to the NHL to play 10-12 minutes and rarely in the 3rd period is pulling a Tortoise or a Hare? Was it Tortoise or Hare when the Habs did it with Kotkaniemi?
Hmmm 🤔 perhaps I did not articulate myself well for which I apologise.

I get that sense that despite the negatives in his development there are some positives, I agree with the idea that things can be better but it's not like they are purposefully setting up Slaf to fail, adversity is an important tool for development.

I get the KK analogy but not everyone thrives or stunts their development by "being rushed", different players respond and develop at different rates...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

The problem is Slaf is NOT any of the above players and they are turning him into a grinding defensive-minded winger so the AHL won't help him. Slaf isn't the 'brightest medical student' in this scenario unfortunately.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Time will tell if they made the right pick and/or handled his dev properly.

That said Andre Tourigny (who coached Kucherov in the minors) mentionned in a recent interview that Kucherov started on the 4th with Tampa (with plugs) and then worked his way up. When Tourigny asked Kucherov how he felt about that he said “I’m in the NHL, no complaints here”. MSL played on the bottom 6, Lecavalier also, etc.

Reactions: Redux91

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He barely touches the puck all game. He needs more ice time while producing. Send him to the AHL.

Good players figure out the speed of execution, there's no excuse to have a kid that young struggling in the NHL just so that the féfans feel secure about the pick.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The problem is Slaf is NOT any of the above players and they are turning him into a grinding defensive-minded winger so the AHL won't help him. Slaf isn't the 'brightest medical student' in this scenario unfortunately.
Tage Thompson was 24 last year when he broke out… not 18

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
It's only puzzling if you can't see the big picture: Slaf is too raw and not NHL-ready. He was too raw and not NHL-ready in Rookie Camp, he was too raw and not NHL-ready in Training Camp, he was too raw and not NHL-ready by game 9 when he should've been sent down, he was too raw and not NHL-ready the c. four times he got blown up and caught with big hits, and he continues to be too raw and not NHL-ready to date.

For purposes of clarity: I define 'too raw' as "too often behind the run of play" and not NHL-ready as "not capable of contributing in a steady top6 role".

I've speculated that it's either his stamina holding him back or he makes too many mistakes reading the game and MSL has to pull the leash. I'm not sure what it is but the outcome is all the same: Slaf has not played enough minutes.

As the commentator above says, do we want a 1st liner or a plumber? I'm sure he can hang on and keep up in a Joel Armia-like role, but that's not what we want, now is it? I'm not sure why other commentators have to be so hostile to the notion of sending him down -- who does it benefit to keep him up right now?
Lots of pressure from the media and fan base to play the #1 pick. Most of these rookies on the team are going to implode at some point the Habs have been lucky to date. I agree, that he should have been sent down by game 9. Is it too late to send him for a conditioning stint? Not sure if that ship has sailed. Wondering if MSL has lost a bit of control regarding these rookies or is this just the way of the league when teams hit this point in the season and especially if you are a rookie.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

That said Andre Tourigny (who coached Kucherov in the minors) mentionned in a recent interview that Kucherov started on the 4th with Tampa (with plugs) and then worked his way up. When Tourigny asked Kucherov how he felt about that he said “I’m in the NHL, no complaints here”. MSL played on the bottom 6, Lecavalier also, etc.
Kucherov started on 4th line his rookie season vs Habs in 2014 playoffs and moved up to 3rd line by game 4 of sweep - as Jon Cooper said after the sweep it was part of the process of developing Kucherov

Jumbo Joe played 8-10 TOI his 18yr old rookie season.

As someone posted earlier, Habs fans love to talk about patience but don’t care to / understand the concept of the word

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

It seems odd to claim Galchenyuk is one of the most rushed players in NHL history given the fact that after being drafted he actually did go back to the CHL and played 33 games, scoring 27 goals and 61 points.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Yes absolutely correct, MSL alluded about this when he, in a press conference or interview brought up the “slow” adaptation and integration of Stamkos… he had to start from the bottom and earn/learn his way up, same with what they are doing with Slaf…remember Aesop’s fable of the tortoise and the hare? When it comes to player development it is more advantageous to view things and take actions with a long term view, being narrow minded or shortsighted is ruinous.
If the kid is only going to play 10 mins a night he is in the wrong league. There is no way to dress this up and turn it into something it isn’t. This is not beneficial to Slaf. He is losing development time in his prime years. Tortoise and Hare me arse.

Last edited:
Reactions: MilesNewton

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Kucherov started on 4th line his rookie season vs Habs in 2014 playoffs and moved up to 3rd line by game 4 of sweep - as Jon Cooper said after the sweep it was part of the process of developing Kucherov

Jumbo Joe played 8-10 TOI his 18yr old rookie season.

As someone posted earlier, Habs fans love to talk about patience but don’t care to / understand the concept of the word
The fact you had to go back 20 plus years to defend this nonsense with Joe Thornton is a testament to how stupid this is.

It seems odd to claim Galchenyuk is one of the most rushed players in NHL history given the fact that after being drafted he actually did go back to the CHL and played 33 games, scoring 27 goals and 61 points.
He missed an entire year of development. He was rushed to the nhl without a doubt. We were all waiting for this number 1 center to emerge, but Habs braintrust was actually doing everything they could to sabotage him. Dumb and dumber couldn’t run a beer league team.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He missed an entire year of development. He was rushed to the nhl without a doubt. We were all waiting for this number 1 center to emerge, but Habs braintrust was actually doing everything they could to sabotage him. Dumb and dumber couldn’t run a beer league team.
Playing more in the CHL wasn't going to help Galchenyuk learn anything, he didn't fail because he was rushed, he failed because as you say they did everything they could to sabotage him at every turn.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
We should stop looking at every detail and revisit in 2-3 years now.

We know He’s a talented power forward in the making. Hell grow slowly in his body with time and experience.

He’s a great prospect . For now, that page should be close. It doesn’t serve anything and it only puts pressure on the kid.

PATIENCE . 😊

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Playing more in the CHL wasn't going to help Galchenyuk learn anything, he didn't fail because he was rushed, he failed because as you say they did everything they could to sabotage him at every turn.

Chucky failed because of the white lady, actually. There's no special path of development, but many. What's the point of moaning about Slaf at this point? They decided to have him with the team, it might work in the end. Stop (not you Sorinth but everyone else) being shortsighted, stop being so emotive and be patient. Stick with the plan. You all remind me of my grand-mother's boyfriend at the christmas party. Stop watching JiC and have your own opinions please!

Reactions: jrom

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Galchenyuk failed due to two factors aligning - the speed of the game ramped up drastically year over year starting in 2015-2016 season and pace was never a strength of his + Galchenyuk proved time & again a complete lack of capacity to learn & grow - can’t teach stupid

Where there is a will there is a way.. Galchenyuk had nowhere near elite level hunger to improve his game

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yeah the Galchenyuk rushed argument doesn't hold water to me. He was annihilating the OHL in the lockout shortened year and then had 27P in 48 games as a rookie and played very well. The problems in his development path came after, he didn't bust because he played 48 very good NHL games instead of ~30 additional OHL games at 18.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Kucherov didn't start in the NHL on the 4th lime.

After being drafted, he spent considerable time in each of the Q, the KHL, and the AHL.

Reactions: ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille