GDT: 2021 World Juniors (Edmonton) - USA WINS THE GOLD!!!!!!!

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
The refs have been fine this game. The refereeing has actually been pretty good this whole tournament. I hope the NHL is watching.

This is one of the best run international tourneys period and it was never going to biased as some eluded it could. These refs are as the kids auditioning for bigger and better things on a world stage. The five reffing supervisors are from 4 countries, Canada, Denmark, USA and Austria and run by the IIHF.

Anyways good game, USA played a text book perfect game. Reminded me on how the Bruins play at their best.

Reactions: Gordoff

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Good point and you got your wish already

he took over in 2015 and has added many scouts AFTER that draft

not sure how long he was in the job but the only 2 individuals that took Zach Sensyshyn out week of draft were Keith Gretzky & Kyle Dubbas

I remember having a talk with Dom a few years ago about some of the scouts added and he knew them or of them and filled me in and was complimentary

Don Sweeney was hired as GM April 2015 the Draft was 2 months later and Keith Gretzky was head of scouting

I know I’m not as smart as 80% here when it comes to hockey but I’m confident to say Don Sweeney in 2 months before draft didn’t overhaul the scouting staff or go against the board

Keith Gretzky was replaced within a year of Sweeney taking over

I know it sucks for many here who live in a delusional Bruins Sweeney world but you guys do provide entertainment for moi

Not sure how I missed this but...

Senyshyn was a Dean Malkoc decision.

Let's remember the Bruins OHL scout (and only scout) at the time was Mike Chiarelli. Peter Chiarelli was already the Oilers President and GM and Mike was on his way to join the Oilers.

Even with Mike Chiarelli at the OHL helm, the Bruins didn't have an OHL scout. His history:

2008 - Michael Hutchinson (3rd round), Jamie Arniel (4th round)
2009 - Lane MacDermid (4th round) Tyler Randell (6th round)
2010 - Tyler Seguin (1st round) Jared Knight, Ryan Spooner (2nd round)
2011 - Dougie Hamilton (1st round) Alex Khokhlachev (2nd round) Anthony Camera (3rd round)
2012 - Malcolm Subban (1st round), Seth Griffith, Cody Payne (5th round)
2013 - Mitchell Dempsey (7th round)
2014 - none.

Seguin and Hamilton were obvious picks. Even I couldn't screw that up.

Not bad eh?

Lets look at the OHL only shall we:

2008 - Hutchinson over Adam Henrique. Arniel over T.J. Brodie
2009 - MacDermid over Ben Chiarot. Randell over Jordan Noel
2010 - Spooner and Knight over Tyler Toffoli
2011 - Khokhlachev over Brandon Saad. Camera over Josh Leivo
2012 - Subban over Tanner Pearson. Griffith and Payne over Colin Miller
2013 - Dempsey was the 2nd last pick

Those are against my rankings in each year. I don't think they had quality eyes in the OHL

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Zegras looks like a bonafide star. I really enjoyed watching Boldy play the most - the Wild got a really good one there. Kaprizov/Rossi/Boldy is a hell of a stable for them.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I knew it would be a tight game. But never in a million years did I think Canada would be skunked. Hats off to the USA, they sure have Canada's number in the Gold Medal games lately.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Congrats to the Americans.

I had six bets on this. I end up with 3 jerseys of my choice because I did pick the USA in 3 bets.

Think I'm going to go with Zegras, Sanderson and Knight jerseys.

Dom, my math skills are sliding -
but is it really betting if you place three for both sides? That more just seems like holiday gift-giving.

Reactions: DominicT

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I knew it would be a tight game. But never in a million years did I think Canada would be skunked. Hats off to the USA, they sure have Canada's number in the Gold Medal games lately.

Canada getting shut-out was the biggest surprise for me. Not surprised the States won as they had an excellent team and it's down to one game, however, not only shutting out that Canadian roster but also limiting their prime chances so much isn't something I expected.
I will try and watch the game again but it seemed like the U.S. barely touched the puck in the second half of the game but Canada barely got off a shot from the slot all night. The U.S. deserves a tonne of credit for that win. Third period especially I expected a flurry of goals from Canada and they could barely generate any opportunities.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CAN_ES (2).jpg

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I thought both teams looked nervous and jittery at first, neither one was making many clean plays or passes. US shook off the nerves first, and had that 7-8 minute stretch where they had Canada hemmed in their own zone with a heavy forecheck both down low and along the wall with the D pinching, leading to the Turcotte opening goal. Hard to judge the 2nd goal, US took possession right at the start of the period, US got a bit of a lucky break with how the puck hit off the back of the net fooling Levi and opening up the back-hand roof opportunity for Zegras.

After that I thought both teams kind of settled in and Canada began to get some zone time. US did a very good job stopping both the rush and the cycle. Cam York in particular made a few very nice defensive plays stopping rush chances. Knight was solid, wasn't tasked with being spectacular as the US team D did a fine job keeping Canada to the outside. Overall I don't think it will go down as an all-time classic goal medal game. The better team last night won. US best players (Zegras, Turcotte, York, Knight) outplayed Canada's best players (Cozens, Byram, Levi).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
well earned win for USA. Outplayed Canada for most of the first 2 periods then really limited the Canadian chances offensively with solid positioning in their own zone. Knight had to make some saves but it`s not like he was peppered with scoring chance after scoring chance, his teammates really forced TC to play from the outside and never allowed them to establish any inside the hash mark kind of game.

Congrats, now, I`m off to some socially distanced nation hockey summit:sarcasm:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Let's remember the Bruins OHL scout (and only scout) at the time was Mike Chiarelli. Peter Chiarelli was already the Oilers President and GM and Mike was on his way to join the Oilers.

Even with Mike Chiarelli at the OHL helm, the Bruins didn't have an OHL scout. His history:

2011 - Dougie Hamilton (1st round) Alex Khokhlachev (2nd round) Anthony Camera (3rd round)
2014 - none.

Not bad eh?

Those are against my rankings in each year. I don't think they had quality eyes in the OHL
Thanks for the in depth post.
I would agree, Malkoc made some HUGE mistakes.
Who was the scout in 2014 and 2015 for the Bruins that covered the OHL?
They missed picking Andrew Mangiapane ( as did many other teams) who I have know since he was 8 years old.
Went in the 6th round, great pick by the Flames.
We picked Hughes one selection before Mangy.
I am pencilling him in for 20 goals this year, perhaps more if he gets first line miuntes on the PP.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thanks for the in depth post.
I would agree, Malkoc made some HUGE mistakes.
Who was the scout in 2014 and 2015 for the Bruins that covered the OHL?
They missed picking Andrew Mangiapane ( as did many other teams) who I have know since he was 8 years old.
Went in the 6th round, great pick by the Flames.
We picked Hughes one selection before Mangy.
I am pencilling him in for 20 goals this year, perhaps more if he gets first line miuntes on the PP.

Mike Brother of Pete Chiarelli

The word "covered" is used loosely

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

2014 - none.

Not bad eh?

Jeekers this is gross!

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

2014 - none.

Not bad eh?

Thanks for this
They really have to get their crap together in regards to the drafts
Are they spending enough money on their scouting department who knows but the drafting off the board has to stop
Stop trading away first rounders

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thanks for this
They really have to get their crap together in regards to the drafts
Are they spending enough money on their scouting department who knows but the drafting off the board has to stop
Stop trading away first rounders

The scouting department under Sweeney has more then doubled I all areas, Europe, USA and Canada.

And they are doing more crossover scouting.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

2014 - none.

Not bad eh?

Pretty embarrassing for the Bruins of all teams to not invest more into scouting. This isn't the Florida Panthers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad