Blue Jays GDT: 2021 v12 | Next: Thu, Sept 30| vs NYY | 7:00pm ET/4:00pm PT | Kluber vs Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I read a lot of complaining about the Umpire at the end of the last thread. How about instead of complaining how about some stats. FYI the real time ball strike technology isn't there yet...... I also think people will be shocked to see some of the pitches that are actually strikes. Especially curveballs at the bottom of the zone.

There was one really bad one but that's really it. Overall it was a below average game but nothing shockingly bad.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I read a lot of complaining about the Umpire at the end of the last thread. How about instead of complaining how about some stats. FYI the real time ball strike technology isn't there yet...... I also think people will be shocked to see some of the pitches that are actually strikes. Especially curveballs at the bottom of the zone.

There was one really bad one but that's really it. Overall it was a below average game but nothing shockingly bad.

+1.93 runs for Tampa in a game where they lost by 2 runs seems pretty bad

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I mean that strike 2 on Valera was f***ing atrocious. That doesn't paint the picture of an umpire that had a good game, it pretty much lined up with what I watched live. Kulpa is one of the worst umpires in the entire league and he is a f***ing asshole to boot.

He is my pick for worst Umpire in MLB and honestly it is a stacked ballot.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Why does it seem like every time I see one of the umpire stat sheets they always favour the other team lol

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Do you not see that pitch way below the strikezone? That was to Teo in the 9th inning. To have that many incorrect calls go against the Jays in the last inning is terrible. All 3 outs that inning had bad strike calls.

Reactions: sabresEH

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Kevin Cash is great at bullpen management. If a reliever is struggling he yanks him immediately. Other managers would have left Robertson for another couple of batters and the game would have been blown.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Do you not see that pitch way below the strikezone? That was to Teo in the 9th inning. To have that many incorrect calls go against the Jays in the last inning is terrible. All 3 outs that inning had bad strike calls.

Shitty timing for sure, but there were 8 other innings in the game too.

Kulpa is ranked very low relative to the rest of MLB umpires but it's not like he is 50% like I read so much on message boards and twitter. I highly doubt anyone here could do better.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Kulpa is ranked very low relative to the rest of MLB umpires but it's not like he is 50% like I read so much on message boards and twitter. I highly doubt anyone here could do better.

Well yeah I haven’t committed any time to umpiring so I’m sure I’m pretty shit at calling a game too, but 90% isn’t 100%. The entire point of these conversations is that umps like Kulpa have too much of an influence on the game. There is video/audio evidence of him talking to Hinch and suggesting that he can do anything he wants (when it comes to gamecalling). That’s just bad business and can affect millions of dollars for owners, players, staff, sports betting, etc etc.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Well yeah I haven’t committed any time to umpiring so I’m sure I’m pretty shit at calling a game too, but 90% isn’t 100%. The entire point of these conversations is that umps like Kulpa have too much of an influence on the game. There is video/audio evidence of him talking to Hinch and suggesting that he can do anything he wants (when it comes to gamecalling). That’s just bad business and can affect millions of dollars for owners, players, staff, sports betting, etc etc.

You sure you want the robo umps? All these scorecards come in the next day when they can analyze data. Real time still has problems.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Would Jays ever consider moving someone else into the 1 hole and move Springer down? He is definitely not himself, and I think it is going to hurt us soon.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Those previous innings only make it worse because he established what he considered to be the strike zone - see those three balls at the top of the zone - and then completely changed his mind.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Those previous innings only make it worse because he established what he considered to be the strike zone - see those three balls at the top of the zone - and then completely changed his mind.

The game didn't begin in the 9th inning. The Jays had 8 other innings available to score more than 2 runs and not give up 6 runs.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Brooks Baseball is pretty quick (with the actual Pitch F/X graphs).

Here are some graphs:
Screenshot_20210921-185743_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-185826_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-185851_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-185917_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-185946_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-190056_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-190123_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-190148_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-190213_Samsung Internet.jpg

Baz is the established strike zone (Ray's lines up well). The Rays relievers got this strike zone outside of one pitch. Only Saucedo got calls in this strike zone of all Toronto's relievers.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You sure you want the robo umps? All these scorecards come in the next day when they can analyze data. Real time still has problems.

Obviously the robo umps are still prototypes, but having an established and consistent strike zone is better than having someone choosing what is a strike or a ball because he feels like disciplining a team for being mad at him.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Quick last minute change.... Anthony Castro, it's your first career start just need to survive 6 batters. Manoah, you're out of the bullpen today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad