WC: 2021 USA Roster Talk

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
As Bonney posted above....we simply can't close the damn door against the Canucks.

No matter how pissed I might be with all the things that had to happen for Canada to even be in the QF let alone face us, ultimately it still comes down to playing the damn game and winning.

We just can't seem to do it no matter the why or how when it comes to Canada. Infuriating. For the handful of us who have been on here for all things team USA for almost 2 decades you think it would be easier to handle by now...but it isn't. 96 World Cup was the last time I watched us beat Canada for a Gold medal at the above 20 level..unreal that was 25 damn years ago..

And for this tourney doesn't seem to matter who we play in the semis like others have said...we simply can't win period to make it to a Gold medal game.

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Our junior success should show already at this level. There hasn't been any Canada fear in years. In fact, it has been the opposite. Why does it then continue to happen at this level? Who knows. In this tournament it is not obviously just about Canada but still...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I disagree that the Bronze is meaningless. While we're all rightly disappointed that the team lost and continues to blow it in semifinals, a bronze is still a worthy achievement, especially given our track record in this tournament. I hope the team comes out pissed off and finishes strong with a win and a medal. They deserve it.

Beyond this team specifically, improving our medal haul matters a ton. We only have 19 medals (2 gold, 9 silver, 8 bronze) in 70 tournaments, but 7 of those medals (1 gold, 5 silver, 1 bronze) are from Olympic tournaments that also counted as the World Championships, too, which aren't really the World Championships. Not counting the Olympic medals, we'd only won 3 bronzes between 1961 - 2012 since we've started a mini-medal run recently. 3 medals in 51 tournaments. That's pathetic, no matter how little Americans care about this tournament.

We've now won 3 bronze medals in the last the 7 tournaments, with a chance to make it 4 in 8. Don't tell me that doesn't matter. It helps to entice more players to consider this tournament as a worthy investment of their time. It helps USAH invest more resources into the tournament, which helps entice more players to consider this tournament as a worthy investment of their time. American hockey players don't care about the WCs for the most part. They don't grow up caring about it, watching it, or dreaming about playing in it. Improving our medal haul and going on a medal run will help change that, even if it takes time.

Last edited:

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Our junior success should show already at this level. There hasn't been any Canada fear in years. In fact, it has been the opposite. Why does it then continue to happen at this level? Who knows. In this tournament it is not obviously just about Canada but still...

The fact that we've still done squat at the senior level against Canada when it matters most since '96 probably doesn't help.

At the Olympics: 2 gold medal games (2002, 2010) and 1 semifinal (2014) - all losses

At IIHF Worlds: our only win in 3 meaningful games (2001, 2016, 2018) was the 2018 bronze medal game

ninja edit: Apparently we won the 2001 game as well

Last edited:

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
I disagree that the Bronze is meaningless. While we're all rightly disappointed that the team lost and continues to blow it in semifinals, a bronze is still a worthy achievement, especially given our track record in this tournament. I hope the team comes out pissed off and finishes strong with a win and a medal. They deserve it.

Beyond this team specifically, improving our medal haul matters a ton. We only have 19 medals (2 gold, 9 silver, 8 bronze) in 70 tournaments, but 8 of those medals (2 gold, 5 silver, 1 bronze) are from Olympic tournaments that also counted as the World Championships, too, which aren't really the World Championships. Not counting the Olympic medals, we'd only won 3 bronzes between 1961 - 2012 since we've started a mini-medal run recently. 3 medals in 51 tournaments. That's pathetic, no matter how little Americans care about this tournament.

We've now won 3 bronze medals in the last the 7 tournaments, with a chance to make it 4 in 8. Don't tell me that doesn't matter. It helps to entice more players to consider this tournament as a worthy investment of their time. It helps USAH invest more resources into the tournament, which helps entice more players to consider this tournament as a worthy investment of their time. American hockey players don't care about the WCs for the most part. They don't grow up caring about it, watching it, or dreaming about playing in it. Improving our medal haul and going on a medal run will help change that, even if it takes time.

You know what else stings?

Finland in 2019 managed to surpass our IIHF gold count at 3 to our 2. And they did it in less time.

We're such a joke at this tournament, it's comical.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

This year notwithstanding, a big driver is we always have a glaring red flag on our roster that Canada can usually avoid due to its depth, both in top players but overall as well, and because Hockey Canada and its players value this tournament a lot more than us unfortunately.

For example, when we attract some top forwards, we can't get a good goalie like when a washed up Schneider buried us 2 years ago. Or we'll get some good defenseman but they're all LHD, and we can't get any RHD to show up, so the lack of balance buries us, which was also an issue 2 years ago. Or we'll get a lot of exciting young/inexperienced talent but we're solely relying on them because the veterans we get are marginal. We rarely piece together a well balanced roster and even when we get close to it, anything can go wrong in a single tournament. See Russia this year, who had more normal top talent than anyone else by far and still bowed out in the QFs. The other top nations put together well balanced rosters here the majority of the time and that will translate to success more often than not.

Not to mention when we can attract some top talent, a lot of them are going to party first and play second. I think that's been a big reason why this year's team has been so successful beyond today's disappointment. They're just there to play hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOS358

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Yes, our depth has grown a lot during the years, but it is still not quite at the level that every year there wouldn't be that one weak area which let us down. Another big area is that our coaching depth is not that great. I actually think that Capuano has been one of the best in recent years.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yes, our depth has grown a lot during the years, but it is still not quite at the level that every year there wouldn't be that one weak area which let us down. Another big area is that our coaching depth is not that great. I actually think that Capuano has been one of the best in recent years.

Yeah, Capuano has done well here. I honestly wouldn't mind, or would prefer, we start going with young, non-NHL coaches here. The NCAA coaches are more familiar with coaching on the big ice than coaches who have been in the NHL for a long time, and it'd be a great development opportunity for them as well. What do we have to lose by giving the gig to Nate Leaman, Greg Carvell, etc? They'd have more time to prepare since the NCAAs end before the NHL season and I think we'd get some fresh approaches, too.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
My beautiful wife keeps asking me why do I watch the 96 World Cup games every few months with our little munchkins...

Sadly, now she finally understands why :laugh::shakehead

Want our children to know it actually did happen in our lifetimes!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
We somehow have a crap load of US GMs though...holy hell are there a lot with Drury, Guerin, Fitzgerald and Adams all getting roles past few seasons.

Not sure why we can't do the same for coaching honestly.

Reactions: William H Bonney

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Beyond this team specifically, improving our medal haul matters a ton. We only have 19 medals (2 gold, 9 silver, 8 bronze) in 70 tournaments, but 8 of those medals (2 gold, 5 silver, 1 bronze) are from Olympic tournaments that also counted as the World Championships, too, which aren't really the World Championships. Not counting the Olympic medals, we'd only won 3 bronzes between 1961 - 2012 since we've started a mini-medal run recently. 3 medals in 51 tournaments. That's pathetic, no matter how little Americans care about this tournament.

But will 4 medals in 8 years entice Trocheck and Umberger to play??:laugh:

Point taken though, tomorrow still matters and I will be there cheering them on. I guess knowing if there was ever the time to do it this was our best chance. I mean we couldn't get there with Kane, Eichel, Gaudreau, Atkinson, Lee, Larkin, Keller, McAvoy, etc...that was all on one damn team lol.

If we had the goalies this tournament for those from 17 and 18 we likely play for Gold. We just can never put all the right pieces together.

And I know Canada was without Miller but it was evident Matt Roy was a key piece for us that stabilized our back end. Not having him there was the biggest loss we could have had happen IMO. I came away very impressed by Roy. Very good young defender.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
But will 4 medals in 8 years entice Trocheck and Umberger to play??:laugh:

Point taken though, tomorrow still matters and I will be there cheering them on. I guess knowing if there was ever the time to do it this was our best chance. I mean we couldn't get there with Kane, Eichel, Gaudreau, Atkinson, Lee, Larkin, Keller, McAvoy, etc...that was all on one damn team lol.

If we had the goalies this tournament for those from 17 and 18 we likely play for Gold. We just can never put all the right pieces together.

And I know Canada was without Miller but it was evident Matt Roy was a key piece for us that stabilized our back end. Not having him there was the biggest loss we could have had happen IMO. I came away very impressed by Roy. Very good young defender.

Easy to say in hindsight but 2013 might've been our best shot at a finals appearance.

But leave it to us to go from trouncing Russia to getting shut out by Switzerland.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
As Bonney posted above....we simply can't close the damn door against the Canucks.

No matter how pissed I might be with all the things that had to happen for Canada to even be in the QF let alone face us, ultimately it still comes down to playing the damn game and winning.

We just can't seem to do it no matter the why or how when it comes to Canada. Infuriating. For the handful of us who have been on here for all things team USA for almost 2 decades you think it would be easier to handle by now...but it isn't. 96 World Cup was the last time I watched us beat Canada for a Gold medal at the above 20 level..unreal that was 25 damn years ago..

And for this tourney doesn't seem to matter who we play in the semis like others have said...we simply can't win period to make it to a Gold medal game.

Its going to happen eventually. USA hockey is getting better and better every year. Its like GB finally beating Dallas in the 90s. Washington getting over Pittsburgh in the NHL. Canada is a huge long arduous road. 96’ can happen again.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I had zero expectations for this team and ended up very impressed. It's a shame they weren't able to play for gold today but to end up in this tournament with only two losses, get the bronze and play such good team defense was a a real feather in the cap of Jack Capuano and his staff. Also nice to see some guys like Garland, Robertson, and Labanc step up. Hopefully this experience will help guys like Tage Thompson continue to develop and also get Brian Boyle a job! LOL.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
They showed up, played with heart and won the bronze.

I really liked this group and hoped better for them. This game was as one sided as can be despite massive power play time for Germany.

Garland has done himself good here and at least should get invited to training camp over the summer for the Olympics. Petersen should be there as well and possibly Robertson though I am okay if he doesn't get an invite yet.

You can tell how pissed they were about losing to Canada ...Wolanin, Boyle and Garland all made it clear in interviews how much that sucked...so good for them for giving a shit and destroying Germany.

We will take the bronze as those don't come too often for us past 20 years and hope for that Gold medal game against Canada in Feb.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I hope Matt Roy and Trevor Moore have continued success at the NHL level.

Enjoyed both immensely as players as Moore is that little spark plug swiss army knife player that does a lot of things right. I hope he can carve out a solid career with LA now...

I came away impressed the most with those 2 players, Garland, Blackwell and Zac Jones who I have felt since his draft was criminally underrated. Not anymore is he. Kid has ice in his veins and is a stud.

Boyle hope you sign somewhere as well. Heart and soul player thanks for coming to represent and lead us!

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017

1933 gold medal is not from Olympics, it was IIHF WC. The second gold medal is from 1960 Olympics. 1933 Ice Hockey World Championships - Wikipedia

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm really proud of this team. These guys all showed up because they love the game and wanted to represent their country. They were here to play hockey and that's it. They were fine with the COVID quarantines, bubbles, and basically just hanging out in a hotel when they weren't playing. And they're coming home on a high note with a win and the Bronze. They showed a ton of character, commitment, and resilience in a way other Team USA's would do well to replicate. A lot of us doubted them, myself included, and shrugged at a lot of the roster decisions, but they proved us wrong.

I hope USAH can learn something about how this team was built, coached, and bought in to the system and replicate it with future squads, too. It reminded me of a Team Finland and why they're able to be so consistent even when facing talent gaps.

As for today's game itself, I'm mostly proud of how the team rebounded from heartbreak and played well. I'm sure they still feel unlucky to not be playing for gold given their overall tournament but they didn't let that affect them today. They faced early adversity, but the PK and Petersen stood tall, and the team delivered a convincing win.

Full marks to guys like Robertson and Tennyson who struggled in the semifinal but were both excellent today, as were the normal guys like Garland, Wolanin, and Petersen. I also really liked Robinson's game today.

The celebration was great, too. You could tell how much this team, from players, coaches, and staff, had bonded throughout the tournament and they earned that celebration. And full marks to Boyle and Abdelkader. Their roster spots drew a lot of moans but they clearly delivered here in their roles. These guys are both future coaches and/or GMs if they want it, but I hope they get another chance in the NHL first.

E3NoVquVEAMkk4v

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Reading these threads make me realize just how much people don’t watch the Coyotes, haha. Garland has been the best forward on his NHL team for two years now. He’s the heart and soul of the Coyotes offense, and the only forward who can generate offense by himself. It doesn’t surprise me that out of all the Americans on the Coyotes roster that Garland was the one to answer the call for team USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad