WJC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
A few brief observations....

In my view, I haven't seen anything from Holts to warrent his early draft pick. He hasn't got the speed or puckhandling skills to create any offense and his shot has really looked average at best. He overhandles the puck and snaps mediocre shots at the goalies chest plates! I just don't see his greatness!

Raymond also has looked mediocre. No flair, not much speed or playmaking skills. I do know that he has an upside but we haven't seen it this year. He really hasn't impressed this tournament.

Viktor Söderström is a player I really liked last year, but this year he has looked insecure, sloppy and uninspired.

Making some kind of conclusions based on a short tournament instead of regular season is not a sign of great scouting. Again, aside from Filip Forsberg all swedish top players looked mediocre or bad at WJC.

Reactions: funky

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
He said Sweden should win this. Thats never a good sign against Finland.

When? And if so, why would that be surprising or even noteworthy? It definitely is not cupboard material anyway, sorry. :laugh:

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
A few brief observations....

In my view, I haven't seen anything from Holts to warrent his early draft pick. He hasn't got the speed or puckhandling skills to create any offense and his shot has really looked average at best. He overhandles the puck and snaps mediocre shots at the goalies chest plates! I just don't see his greatness!

Raymond also has looked mediocre. No flair, not much speed or playmaking skills. I do know that he has an upside but we haven't seen it this year. He really hasn't impressed this tournament.

Viktor Söderström is a player I really liked last year, but this year he has looked insecure, sloppy and uninspired.
Raymond and Holtz have never really had that chemistry that some have claimed. I have never really seen it. My feeling has always been that what they’ve previously achieved have been based on individual performances, not sensational team play. It’s painfully obviously now that they are expected to carry this team. A good coach would see that and act. But of course I could be completely wrong on this.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
When? And if so, why would that be surprising or even noteworthy? It definitely is not cupboard material anyway, sorry. :laugh:
If you belive in jinx it is. We usually loose when players say things like that. Its not a big deal but i will blame Gunler If we loose...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Holtz and Raymond are 2 and 4 in the tournament for high danger chances and leading the tourney in shots. They need to start burying if this team is gonna do anything

Reactions: r0bert8841

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Broberg has a sulky demeanor for sure....

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Tough interview for the coach, great feeling by the interviewer to keep it going way too long. Arsehole. Doing her job sure, still being an ass.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cant believe after two players of the game Soderblom wasnt picked for a top 3 player. I thought after that showing tonight Raymond coulda stepped into the top 3. But picking who they did kinda shows the coaches were a bit out to lunch.

Also, its absolutely crazy that Neiderbach almost wasnt invited to try out for this team. He was clearly the best center on the roster, without him they wouldve got killed down the middle. Whichever line he centered was actually the best for Sweden in most of the games

Reactions: r0bert8841

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
A rough ending, but not unexpected when you lose your head coach and multiple important players due to covid. A couple thoughts I had:
  • Sweden lacked defensive structure, too many times players were running around. Too soft on pucks, too many turnovers. A lot of this can be attributed to the coaching situation. But also losing a ton of depth due to covid.
  • Line combinations could have been better. Niederbach to 1C should've been done from the start.
  • Broberg shouldn't have been playing if he was that injured, was a liability vs good teams. His puck skills and hockey IQ have been a little bit exposed in this tournament. He looked much better last year.
  • Raymond and Holtz - Would've been nice if they would've produced more. Raymond got on the scoresheet in the final game, but other than that not much production. Raymond did create a number of chances though. Holtz was a black hole on in-zone offense, he killed quite a few plays with shot attempts. Same thing on the PP. If those shots were going in like normal, nobody would have a problem with it.
  • Goaltending was solid, probably cost them vs the USA but kept them in the game vs Finland.
  • Costmar and Soderblom both were great, excited to see their development going forward.
Also it's a short tournament during a pandemic where Sweden didn't get to practice until 3 days before their first game, so its hard to draw conclusions from.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
A rough ending, but not unexpected when you lose your head coach and multiple important players due to covid. A couple thoughts I had:
  • Sweden lacked defensive structure, too many times players were running around. Too soft on pucks, too many turnovers. A lot of this can be attributed to the coaching situation. But also losing a ton of depth due to covid.
  • Line combinations could have been better. Niederbach to 1C should've been done from the start.
  • Broberg shouldn't have been playing if he was that injured, was a liability vs good teams. His puck skills and hockey IQ have been a little bit exposed in this tournament. He looked much better last year.
  • Raymond and Holtz - Would've been nice if they would've produced more. Raymond got on the scoresheet in the final game, but other than that not much production. Raymond did create a number of chances though. Holtz was a black hole on in-zone offense, he killed quite a few plays with shot attempts. Same thing on the PP. If those shots were going in like normal, nobody would have a problem with it.
  • Goaltending was solid, probably cost them vs the USA but kept them in the game vs Finland.
  • Costmar and Soderblom both were great, excited to see their development going forward.
Also it's a short tournament during a pandemic where Sweden didn't get to practice until 3 days before their first game, so its hard to draw conclusions from.

Svenska Ishockeyförbundet needs to step up and overhaul the programme, we can't keep going like this every year.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Cant believe after two players of the game Soderblom wasnt picked for a top 3 player. I thought after that showing tonight Raymond coulda stepped into the top 3. But picking who they did kinda shows the coaches were a bit out to lunch.

Also, its absolutely crazy that Neiderbach almost wasnt invited to try out for this team. He was clearly the best center on the roster, without him they wouldve got killed down the middle. Whichever line he centered was actually the best for Sweden in most of the games

They always pick 3 last year eligible players. Usually guys who have been with this team since U16.

Reactions: newfy

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Broberg has a sulky demeanor for sure....

Very bad choice for a captain.

4 of the 5 Detroit players this tournament were impressive in Raymond, Niederbach, Soderblom and the very limited viewing we saw of Gustav Berglund. Johansson was too reserved in this tournament and played way more timid than he does in the SHL.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Very bad choice for a captain.

4 of the 5 Detroit players this tournament were impressive in Raymond, Niederbach, Soderblom and the very limited viewing we saw of Gustav Berglund. Johansson was too reserved in this tournament and played way more timid than he does in the SHL.
Based on the pick, Raymond wasnt that impressive. Neither he or Holtz lived up to the hype. I don't think either will be ready for the NHL next season so they may have an actual chance with competent coaching next season at the WJC.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Svenska Ishockeyförbundet needs to step up and overhaul the programme, we can't keep going like this every year.

Like what?

They’ve won their group for 14 straight years before this year and went out in the QFs once during that period under rather special circumstances.

The team never clicked this year but again, special circumstances. Their headcoach is not there. They didn't get to train for a long period because of corona and they're missing rather important players.

It's not perfect, but a large overhaul? That would be one heck of an over-reaction.

Btw.
However picked the top-3 players probably did it after the first game. Söderström? That pairing with him and Johansson was terrible.

Söderblom deserved it, even Raymond would have been a good pick.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
You can't blame Broberg, he was clearly hurt. But the rest of the team, jeez..

Exept Söderblom of course ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad