The Athletic - Boston 2021 NHL front office rankings: Bruins #8

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
They blew the Nash deadline when they wouldn't give up "A" prospects like Frederic, Lauzon, Vaakanainen and Zboril in a deal for McDonagh and Miller. I didn't hate the Nash deal though, but I don't think they beat Tampa regardless.
I think the reason they lost against Tampa that year was because of the injury to Riley Nash along with Rick and Carlo. The three players on the third line had 47, 41, and 33 points and all 3 were over half a point per game players. His injury before the end of season really destroyed any production we got from that line.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Take off the black and yellow colored glasses buddy. This team isn't a real contender. It's a one line team, like it's been for the last 4 years. You go from the perfection line to 3 4th lines, essentially. What a giant f*** you this must be to Hall. Signs here and the next order of business is that he learns he's going to be playing with a bunch of grinders slotting up, via the old center by committee.

The real question is how long before Hall turns back into the turd in the punchbowl and forces his way out of town like he did in Edmonton, New Jersey, and Buffalo.

I say 3 months into next season, but maybe we should make a poll? :laugh:
Love switching from criticizing Sweeney’s moves as a “giant f*** you to Hall” before calling Hall a turd in the punch bowl yourself. Keep all fires burning!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Take off the black and yellow colored glasses buddy. This team isn't a real contender. It's a one line team, like it's been for the last 4 years. You go from the perfection line to 3 4th lines, essentially. What a giant f*** you this must be to Hall. Signs here and the next order of business is that he learns he's going to be playing with a bunch of grinders slotting up, via the old center by committee.

The real question is how long before Hall turns back into the turd in the punchbowl and forces his way out of town like he did in Edmonton, New Jersey, and Buffalo.

I say 3 months into next season, but maybe we should make a poll? :laugh:
Yah, I e thought about this. Eeekk

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Love switching from criticizing Sweeney’s moves as a “giant f*** you to Hall” before calling Hall a turd in the punch bowl yourself. Keep all fires burning!

Didn't call him that at all. Just said he's had the propensity to do so since he's done so in 3 places so far. Can''t think that's not a realistic possibility here though, right? :laugh:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
18th is about right to me. Sweeney/Neely are average to below average overall. Sweeney is terrific at contract negotiations with his own players, offset by drafting and developing.

Any team with the Bergeron line should make the playoffs. Sweeney has never managed a season with a 2nd line. This season he reacts to Krejci leaving by signing more depth.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
18th is about right to me. Sweeney/Neely are average to below average overall. Sweeney is terrific at contract negotiations with his own players, offset by drafting and developing.

Any team with the Bergeron line should make the playoffs. Sweeney has never managed a season with a 2nd line. This season he reacts to Krejci leaving by signing more depth.

Vast majority of bruins fans will never admit that when you have the best line in hockey in their prime, that you have a very good chance to make the playoffs every year. It completely allows fans to deflect from the fact Sweeney and Neely have failed miserably to fill out the rest of the roster while having the best and one of the cheapest first lines in hockey.

Consistently overpaying for bottom 6 forwards and poor drafting of higher end players has destroyed what had a chance to be a dynasty.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Second round exit has nothing to do if you’re a Cup contender or not. This is more like achieving/underachieving and Bruins were too many times culprit of the later.

Colorado was a top Cup contender last year. They lost in round 2.

Habs were nowhere near a Cup contender. They lucked out even getting in the playoffs. They had a fluke run and were no match in the Final.

If a team regularly underachieves, did they really though, or is that what they really are? :naughty:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Vast majority of bruins fans will never admit that when you have the best line in hockey in their prime, that you have a very good chance to make the playoffs every year. It completely allows fans to deflect from the fact Sweeney and Neely have failed miserably to fill out the rest of the roster while having the best and one of the cheapest first lines in hockey.

Consistently overpaying for bottom 6 forwards and poor drafting of higher end players has destroyed what had a chance to be a dynasty.

Spot on.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Yup when you can’t draft well, you end up overpaying for bottom 6 players. Ideally you’re bottom 6 should be young players you drafted with a veteran on both lines and you spend big on your top two lines. The bruins didn’t even have to spend big on their first line. If you draft right you won’t need to spend $14m on a 3rd line or $5m on a fourth line. Instead you can beef up your 2nd line and afford a top pairing LHD

Reactions: Dreghorn2 and LSCII

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
DNQ
First round loss to Ottawa 2-4
Second round loss to TB 1-4
SCF loss to StL 3-4
Second round loss to TB 1-4
Second round loss to NYI 2-4

5/6 years second round losses or worse, never even taking any of those second round series to 7 games. Entering the current season with no bonafide 2C or 2RW. A prospect pool that consistently ranks near the bottom. All the ranking systems and number crunching don't mean squat. At some point results should probably matter. No amount of rationalization can erase that. I guess my idea of being consistently "competitive" in the playoffs differs from that of some. 5/6 years with second round exits or worse is merely a step above a participation trophy for a playoff team. 8th best front office, lmao.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think they’ve done more good than bad, and I think Sweeney is very bright, but I’m not convinced he can build a Cup winner. His teams always feel like they’re missing something.

Tampa, the last couple years felt like a team that was “over the top.” Like they had all the pieces and checked all the boxes. Sweeney’s teams are really good, but always feel like they’re missing a 2RW or a top4 D or net front presence, or size on the backend... And I don’t think that’s just a case of Boston fans being too hard on their own team, because you can literally point at the best team in our division and say they have those things.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think they’ve done more good than bad, and I think Sweeney is very bright, but I’m not convinced he can build a Cup winner. His teams always feel like they’re missing something.

Tampa, the last couple years felt like a team that was “over the top.” Like they had all the pieces and checked all the boxes. Sweeney’s teams are really good, but always feel like they’re missing a 2RW or a top4 D or net front presence, or size on the backend... And I don’t think that’s just a case of Boston fans being too hard on their own team, because you can literally point at the best team in our division and say they have those things.

This is what bothers me. I understand that there’s not always the opportunity to acquire those players in an offseason or two, but it taking 5 years of not getting either a 2nd line RW and top four LHD when those have been the biggest needs for the entire Sweeney tenure, it starts to get to the point where it’s just mismanagement.

Then poor drafting had lead to this team not having young guys on cheap contracts filling out the bottom six, which has resulted in overpayments for numerous bottom six forwards and bottom pairing defenders.

Of course the bruins got Hall, but according to quite a few reports Hall wasn’t accepting trades to anywhere except Boston so he more or less forced his way here and Sweeney got him cheap. At least he still pulled the trigger though.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’m just curious as to who the public is in the public opinion. From another city on the outside looking in, you can probably just glance over and be like ya they are always in the playoffs so it must be going well, so things grade higher. Whereas fans have certain expectations for what the team should be doing and are more aware and locked in on the issues with the team and the hurdles they haven’t been able to get past.

For sure if you’re on the outside looking in as say a devils fan or a lesser team you are going to view the bruins as one of the better run teams because they have had a good run of making the playoffs.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

It seems to me Sweeney is loyal to a fault, allowing his players to prove they aren't good enough rather than anticipating it. Last season, both Krug and Chara walked, and the logic behind it, 'we need to see what we have with the kids.' Regardless if you think the Bruins should've signed Krug, Chara, or neither, it was apparent from day one that neither Lauzon nor Zboril were going to give them 20 minutes a night. While Lauzon became a steady 5-6 guy, the Bruins were short-handed on defence all year and needed to dip in the waiver wire to get Tinordi. There aren't many cup winners who had to get a waiver defencemen to play regularly. Had this been an 82 game season, this strategy would've been disastrous- it was almost ruinous over a 56 game season. The Bruins needed to get one player to play 20 minutes a night to replace the two players going out, and leave one spot for a kid.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It seems to me Sweeney is loyal to a fault, allowing his players to prove they aren't good enough rather than anticipating it. Last season, both Krug and Chara walked, and the logic behind it, 'we need to see what we have with the kids.' Regardless if you think the Bruins should've signed Krug, Chara, or neither, it was apparent from day one that neither Lauzon nor Zboril were going to give them 20 minutes a night. While Lauzon became a steady 5-6 guy, the Bruins were short-handed on defence all year and needed to dip in the waiver wire to get Tinordi. There aren't many cup winners who had to get a waiver defencemen to play regularly. Had this been an 82 game season, this strategy would've been disastrous- it was almost ruinous over a 56 game season. The Bruins needed to get one player to play 20 minutes a night to replace the two players going out, and leave one spot for a kid.
This is not just a Sweeney mistake. In Bruins history since 1970, besides the smallest haul in what was the best ever Bruins lineup... missing a key player to put the Bruins over the top has been an every year kind of thing. The only exception is 2011.

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
In the poll, Bruins were edged out by the Kings for #7, which scored 3.6. So Kings' fans like their FO slightly more than B's fans.

Kings playoff record since winning the Cup in '14:
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
R1 Loss
DNQ
R1 Loss
DNQ

Life must be real good in LA.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The got 2 fraudulent Cups

team in 12 years picked
1 Stranmah
2. Heds
3. Drouin
6 Connolly
10 slats

they have blown every other year

when there was no covid and no cap crap they got swept by Columbus who the Bruins wiped out

you guys here try way to hard but you are dealing with me remember- Hockey genius

imagine Bruins picking every other year in top 10

they forced Callahan into retirement when he was only forward who’s balls were outside his body vs Columbus

then they shopped for LTIR like they were in early at Cosco

the apologists here are hilarious

From 2000 to 2017, the Bruins have had 20 first round picks to the Lightning's 16.

The Lightning have had 7 Top-10 picks in that time to the Bruins 5.

BOSTON

Jonsson - bust
Kessel - traded
Hamill - bust
Seguin - traded
Hamilton traded

TAMPA

Alexeev - bust
Svitov - bust
Stamkos - homerun
Hedman - grandslam
Connolly - traded
Koekkoek - traded
Drouin - traded

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
From 2000 to 2017, the Bruins have had 20 first round picks to the Lightning's 16.

The Lightning have had 7 Top-10 picks in that time to the Bruins 5.

BOSTON

Jonsson - bust
Kessel - traded
Hamill - bust
Seguin - traded
Hamilton traded

TAMPA

Alexeev - bust
Svitov - bust
Stamkos - homerun
Hedman - grandslam
Connolly - traded
Koekkoek - traded
Drouin - traded
Cups fraudulent

Just left Bruins season ticket holder cookout for best and brightest and took a survey

fraudulent Cups although prevailing view was they were smart to use that loophole

OReilly & Bourque were there and I’m seriously pissed I forgot to ask them

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa had 3 top 3 picks

Bruins 1

last 10 years Bruins 0
Last 10 Tampa 3

Tampa since 2009 have had 5 top 10 Picks own record performance

Bruins 0

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I bet the Tampa GM could have handled an inherited core a lot better than donny did wasting many years of prime years. Core was inherited, all he had to do was fill the holes

Reactions: UncleRico

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
In the poll, Bruins were edged out by the Kings for #7, which scored 3.6. So Kings' fans like their FO slightly more than B's fans.

Kings playoff record since winning the Cup in '14:
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
R1 Loss
DNQ
R1 Loss
DNQ

Life must be real good in LA.

Ya but luc robitaille has been part of that front office for 14 years now and rob Blake has been for 8. So their president and GM have held front office positions for at least one cup and luc has for two cups.

Neely was VP for one but Sweeney hasn’t brought a cup as GM. I guess it all cracks down to whether you’d prefer the two cups and a roughly 50% chance of making the playoffs or being in the playoffs every year pretty much with one cup and your current GM not brining any.

Personally I’d prefer the multiple cups because no one cares for teams who lose in the playoffs.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I will never understand holding onto players to let them walk in free agency. The Krug situation blew my mind to be honest. Gave him a deal in the offseason, he either rejected or there was no response and then we let it play out for him to walk.

Especially after seeing the haul Justin Faulk got, the bottom level price was already set for a krug trade. I know the team wanted a cup run and that’s why they kept Krug, but you just can’t keep doing that with every upcoming free agent and gambling like that with getting nothing in return.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I don't think you can fairly say that Sweeney can build a cup winner when he built a team that got to game 7 of the SCF on home ice during his tenure. Team was good enough to win, just didn't have the gumption to get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad