GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft & Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
IMO the area where Sakic could be dropping the ball (depending on how it plays out) is with Erik Johnson.

$6M for a player who's role was already diminishing before he missed all but 4 games of the 2020-2021 season due to injury. Even is Johnson miraculously stays healthy in the regular season, it's pretty much a given he's going down in the playoffs - he's missed all of the 2018 and 2021 playoffs (16 games) and a third of the 2020 playoffs (6 games).

I know I'm basically preaching to the choir here but Sakic just needs to take the hit and buy him out if he's not movable. The extra $4M in cap space the next two seasons far outweighs the $2M in dead cap the next four.
Which makes me think he’s getting Kucherov’s disease.

Reactions: shadow1

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don’t think it’s horrible asset management at all.

That would imply that Joe should’ve traded them before becoming UFA.

Are you suggesting that he should’ve traded Landeskog or Grubauer last year?

I’m saying you sign them to market contracts and if the team doesn’t win you trade them like Tampa and other contenders have with their guys after a couple years before they decline. Gotta be a bit mercenary.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah yeah, I know. But an offer sheet for Sorokin would make a lot of sense to replace Gru.

My OS target (if Landy walks) would be Garland. 2 years x 5.5M. Walk him straight to UFA. Vancouver sucks right now and are tight to the cap so they’d probably have to do some shuffling in order to match and at the end of the day is it worth it for a guy who can walk after 2 seasons when their window clearly isn’t open during that time.

Compensation is a 1st and a 3rd which is well worth 2 years of Garland. Likely keeps us with some room to potentially land Danault. Losing Landy would hurt but replacing him with Garland + Danault makes Colorado’s forward group better.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Asset management isn’t just trades.

He could have made re-signing both last season a priority, depending upon which is true re: his Landeskog offers he could have not made half-assed long term offers alongside the more serious shorter offers, etc.

There really isn’t any other way to put it—if they both leave he’s made a gamble and messed up. They can try and sign others to soften the blow, but in UFA you’re likely overpaying, and in that case you should have just kept your own guys.

I don’t even want to talk about a trade. So many here want to see Landeskog walk because re-signing him would be a hamper on contending…well, the cost to trade for adequate replacements would also hamper contending. No one is giving us signing worthwhile for Kaut or Bowers. It’s going to cost us players we’ll actually need to count on this season and the next few with their cheap ELCs.

100%

Pretty much no way we come out ahead if they walk given the prices for UFAs and trades

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
My OS target (if Landy walks) would be Garland. 2 years x 5.5M. Walk him straight to UFA. Vancouver sucks right now and are tight to the cap so they’d probably have to do some shuffling in order to match and at the end of the day is it worth it for a guy who can walk after 2 seasons when their window clearly isn’t open during that time.

Compensation is a 1st and a 3rd which is well worth 2 years of Garland. Likely keeps us with some room to potentially land Danault. Losing Landy would hurt but replacing him with Garland + Danault makes Colorado’s forward group better.

What about Petey?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

He could have made re-signing both last season a priority, depending upon which is true re: his Landeskog offers he could have not made half-assed long term offers alongside the more serious shorter offers, etc.

There really isn’t any other way to put it—if they both leave he’s made a gamble and messed up. They can try and sign others to soften the blow, but in UFA you’re likely overpaying, and in that case you should have just kept your own guys.

I don’t even want to talk about a trade. So many here want to see Landeskog walk because re-signing him would be a hamper on contending…well, the cost to trade for adequate replacements would also hamper contending. No one is giving us signing worthwhile for Kaut or Bowers. It’s going to cost us players we’ll actually need to count on this season and the next few with their cheap ELCs.
Yeah, I’m not sure why a bunch of people want to get rid of him either.

Without even knowing any real details, I don’t really understand how people can be so adamant in either direction when we don’t know what’s going on.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I’m saying you sign them to market contracts and if the team doesn’t win you trade them like Tampa and other contenders have with their guys after a couple years before they decline. Gotta be a bit mercenary.
Understood. I justes wanted clarity on what you were saying.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
IMO the area where Sakic could be dropping the ball (depending on how it plays out) is with Erik Johnson.

$6M for a player whose role was already diminishing before he missed all but 4 games of the 2020-2021 season due to injury. Even if Johnson miraculously stays healthy in the regular season, it's pretty much a given he's going down in the playoffs - he's missed all of the 2018 and 2021 playoffs (16 games) and a third of the 2020 playoffs (6 games).

I know I'm basically preaching to the choir here but Sakic just needs to take the hit and buy him out if he's not movable. The extra $4M in cap space the next two seasons far outweighs the $2M in dead cap the next four.

Amen. What moron chooses to keep an off-injured borderline #4-5 defenceman who is guaranteed to miss playoff time, in lieu of keeping their captain and 1st line LW?

Reactions: shadow1

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What about Petey?
Vancouver will do whatever they can to keep him. The overpayment required to pry him away from Vancouver would be a crippling amount of AAV for Colorado.

With Garland you have that short span to UFA to hold over them. With Petey it would simply have to be an overpayment.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

If he walks, they're never going to replace Landeskog 1-for-1 or come close to it. It'll be about adding multiple complimentary pieces.

If we know two things about Colorado's front office it's that the pro scouting is excellent and Sakic gets great value in trades. The most expensive UFA Sakic has signed in the last five years was depth defenseman Ian Cole ($4.25 x 3). In that same time he's traded for multiple notable pieces (Kadri, Saad), which includes several RFA's (Burakovsky, Grubauer, Toews, and now Maltsev - obviously he's a depth piece though).

This could be the year the Avs make a free agency splash, but I think Sakic will be active in the trade market. Particularly if Grubauer walks, I expect them to trade for a goalie rather than sign one.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Vancouver will do whatever they can to keep him. The overpayment required to pry him away from Vancouver would be a crippling amount of AAV for Colorado.

With Garland you have that short span to UFA to hold over them. With Petey it would simply have to be an overpayment.

I was willing to pay Eichel 10 in a trade, so I’d probably give Petey an 7 X $10M offer sheet.

It would be an overpayment, but I think the Avs could find a way to make it work.

You’re right though, I suspect Van will just match anything.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If he walks, they're never going to replace Landeskog 1-for-1 or come close to it. It'll be about adding multiple complimentary pieces.

If we know two things about Colorado's front office it's that the pro scouting is excellent and Sakic gets great value in trades. The most expensive UFA Sakic has signed in the last five years was depth defenseman Ian Cole ($4.25 x 3). In that same time he's traded for multiple notable pieces (Kadri, Saad), which includes several RFA's (Burakovsky, Grubauer, Toews, and now Maltsev - obviously he's a depth piece though).

This could be the year the Avs make a free agency splash, but I think Sakic will be active in the trade market. Particularly if Grubauer walks, I expect them to trade for s goalie rather than sign one.

Okay that’s fine, but take a look at what Friedman thinks Blake Coleman would get in UFA (6x5)…at that rate just keep your Captain.

Now let’s look at trades…anyone worthwhile that would actively help the Avs will not cost us in the Kaut/Bowers/Ranta tier. We’re looking at the Byram/Newhook tier. And honestly we kind of need their cheap ELCs because they appear to be NHL caliber now.

Now that all said, if a Jack Eichel could only be had with Newhook and a 1st you do that…but that’s not the price. We’ve already seen insane trade prices; or we’ve seen Joe miss out on a legitimate Landeskog-level replacement in Buchnevich.

He cost to fill these holes if both leave are going to be expensive, and it will cost us things that we’d like to keep in order to continue contending. I continue to personally believe the best result for Joe is to make Landeskog the priority, and then turn to Gru…I feel there are more replacement level options in UFA for Gru than there is for Landy, and in addition to that I don’t think it’d cost as much to find a G in a trade as it would to find a legitimate Top6 LW option

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
Cannot believe anyone on here is willing to give Gabe 7-8 years at anything over $7M/year. Insanse. Would not be a great contract for us now, and would be awful in 3-4 years

Reactions: hughdreamz

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Cannot believe anyone on here is willing to give Gabe 7-8 years at anything over $7M/year. Insanse. Would not be a great contract for us now, and would be awful in 3-4 years

Yup. Captain, pope, I don't care. He's not worth more than 7.

Let him walk, but it's up to Sakic and Co to use that money wisely to minimize his depature as much as possible.

Captain MacKinnon is going be a hilarious wild ride. Give Makar MacKinnon's A to even out the crazy factor in the leadership group :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad