2021 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Only Svechkov was selected by the Predators in the first. A bit surprising, since I expected at least Chibrikov go somewhere there too, but might be not a bad thing, as teams are more patient with the non-first round picks. Not to mention that yesterday it was quite a ****show overall and, as I always say it, it is the second day of the draft where the best part of it is.
Caser, thanks for the work you put into this.

I am venturing into this thrtead for the first time, as the Jets have not selected a Russian prospect in the first 5 rounds of the draft since they returned to Winnipeg. I think they had some PTSD from dealing with Burmistrov, a Thrashers 1st rounder who was rushed to the NHL and never panned out. This year they drafted 3 Eastern Europeans, including Chibrikov, who was a steal in the late second round.

I'm wondering if you could provide an evaluation of Dmitri Kuzmin and also Dmitri Rashevsky, an over-ager who has evidently blossomed late.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Caser

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I wouldn't judge it by the numbers though, but overall it was weird but ok.

While I agree that the numbers don't tell the story of the quality of this Russian class, I do think it tells a story of a shift in philosophy of NHL teams towards Russian prospects.

There was a noticable difference between how teams like Lightning, Caps and Leafs viewed Russian prospects vs teams like Ducks, Sabres and Flames. Some teams were staying away. This is clearly changing.

There are a number of teams that are thawing their relationship to Russian prospects. Sabres sure as heck seem to be. There wasn't long ago where Sharks were one of the latter group, now they seem to be firmly on the bandwagon, same goes for Habs. Even Kings picked a Russian player.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
It is time for the annual write-up on Russian draft-eligible prospects. Last year I had an impression that diving too deep in the details might be not the most entertaining way, so I'll try to make it shorter this time.

64. GK Kirill Gerasimyuk
65. RW Semyon Demidov
66. LHD Gleb Ivanov
67. LHD Yaroslav Busygin
68. W Ivan Vorobyov
69. LHD Alexei Yegorov
70. RHD Bogdan Krokhalyov

As usually any questions, comments, your own opinions on the topic or maybe even your own rankings are welcome.

Panthers grabbed Gerasimyuk in the fifth round. Always difficult to project with goalies but any thoughts?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Why is it the cynic in me suspects this is for pure economics like in the 1990's and early 2000's when clubs would draft players from Europe and Russia figuring they'd never have to sign them?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Caser, thanks for the work you put into this.

I am venturing into this thrtead for the first time, as the Jets have not selected a Russian prospect in the first 5 rounds of the draft since they returned to Winnipeg. I think they had some PTSD from dealing with Burmistrov, a Thrashers 1st rounder who was rushed to the NHL and never panned out. This year they drafted 3 Eastern Europeans, including Chibrikov, who was a steal in the late second round.

I'm wondering if you could provide an evaluation of Dmitri Kuzmin and also Dmitri Rashevsky, an over-ager who has evidently blossomed late.

Thanks in advance!

Possibly they thought that there is a chance to get Kraskovsky after next season, which should make it easier for Chibrikov and others to adapt. Not like I really think it should matter so much, but who knows.

Can't say anything aabout Kuzmin, as he is not Russian and didn't play there. As for Rashevsky last season I wrote this about him: "I like his hands and goalscoring talents (shot and positioning), but that's basically all. Can't call him a great skater, wasn't looking like a big fan of the defensive game. Can execute a good pass, but not exactly great at that. Didn't look too good at the physical game too (although he looks like he has gained some power this season). So yeah, I can't call myself a big fan of him." This year I didn't focus on him that much, but I didn't have an impression that something would drastically change.

While I agree that the numbers don't tell the story of the quality of this Russian class, I do think it tells a story of a shift in philosophy of NHL teams towards Russian prospects.

There was a noticable difference between how teams like Lightning, Caps and Leafs viewed Russian prospects vs teams like Ducks, Sabres and Flames. Some teams were staying away. This is clearly changing.

There are a number of teams that are thawing their relationship to Russian prospects. Sabres sure as heck seem to be. There wasn't long ago where Sharks were one of the latter group, now they seem to be firmly on the bandwagon, same goes for Habs. Even Kings picked a Russian player.

I think this year we have to look at relationships with Russian players through the prism of the pandemics and have to remember that for the most of the teams, if their representatives didn't see it - it didn't happen. So it's not like it is proRussian and antiRussian, more like who have local scouts or someone who they can trust there and who just haven't.

Panthers grabbed Gerasimyuk in the fifth round. Always difficult to project with goalies but any thoughts?

I liked his overall size and mobility, but I had doubts about what is going on in his head - for example at the start of the U18 tournament it looked like he can't stop a beach ball. For me it was a red flag, that's why I have ranked him so low.

Why is it the cynic in me suspects this is for pure economics like in the 1990's and early 2000's when clubs would draft players from Europe and Russia figuring they'd never have to sign them?

Doubt that, as a drafted player takes a reserve spot, it would be more valuable just to package the pick to a team that wants it in a trade.

Reactions: scelaton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad