2021 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Where is Yevgeni Kashnikov? I figured he'd be listed for sure.

In the MHL I didn't have an impression that he was good in his own zone at all, very dangerous on the PP though, but for me it wasn't something that good so it would compensate the defensive game issues. As for his time in the Q, I didn't actually see him there, but since he ended up as the 7th D there I don't think it was due to him being too good.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Probably should also write about how I value them in terms of which potential draft picks I'd think would be a fair value for them:

1st round:
Chibrikov
Kisakov
Svechkov

2nd round:
Chayka
Kirsanov
Poltapov

3rd round:
Lukashevich
Zugan
Kostenko
Bardakov

4th round:
Katelevskiy
Grushnikov
Makarov
Safonov

5th round:
Pylenkov
Petrov
Machulin
Fedotov

6th round:
Ivantsov
Kondyrev
Guslistov
Guskov

7th round;
Buruyanov
Steklov
Lazutin
Alalykin
Motorygin
Galenyuk (maybe)

As for others, I personally wouldn't go for them, but it obviously totally doesn't mean that they don't have the chances.

Bob's scout poll results to compare (with the change comparing to his April rankings in brackets):

#17 (+13) Fyodor Svechkov
#24 (-2) Nikita Chibrikov
#26 (-7) Daniil Chayka
#38 (+24) Prokhor Poltapov
#54 (-19) Alexander Kisakov
#60 (+8) Artyom Grushnikov
#72 (-3) Ilya Fedotov
#73 (-9) Kirill Kirsanov
#88 (NA) Dmitri Kostenko
#92 (-25) Matvei Petrov

Lukashevich was previously #90, now not in the Top100. Actually it is very hard to find the reasoning for most of these changes other than that there is a lot of turbulence.

Reactions: Leopain

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
What do you think of Maxim Nevolin?

Last year I had put a question mark on his skating (adjusted by his size). As for this year I just don't have anything to comment on him really: he played in his 3rd full MHL season and my rule of thumb in that kind of cases is to ignore that at all actually, as for the VHL and KHL games, he played mostly a 13th forward minutes there - so in the end due to that I just don't have any thoughts on his performance and development this season at all basically.

Last edited:
Reactions: EXTRAS

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Only Svechkov was selected by the Predators in the first. A bit surprising, since I expected at least Chibrikov go somewhere there too, but might be not a bad thing, as teams are more patient with the non-first round picks. Not to mention that yesterday it was quite a ****show overall and, as I always say it, it is the second day of the draft where the best part of it is.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Only Svechkov was selected by the Predators in the first. A bit surprising, since I expected at least Chibrikov go somewhere there too, but might be not a bad thing, as teams are more patient with the non-first round picks. Not to mention that yesterday it was quite a ****show overall and, as I always say it, it is the second day of the draft where the best part of it is.
It is by now a circus. And in a very bad way. Poltapov as the first 2nd round pick. Fedotov early in the 2nd and no Chibrikov. This is really Y.Svechnikov over Kaprizov all over again.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It is by now a circus. And in a very bad way. Poltapov as the first 2nd round pick. Fedotov early in the 2nd and no Chibrikov. This is really Y.Svechnikov over Kaprizov all over again.

Looks like teams are going for the raw talents like skating more this year than usually, might be due to the lack of scouting opportunities this year.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Looks like teams are going for the raw talents like skating more this year than usually, might be due to the lack of scouting opportunities this year.
This will account for many disappointments for NHL teams. But I could not care less as long as Chbrikov is picked by a good team.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
This will account for many disappointments for NHL teams. But I could not care less as long as Chbrikov is picked by a good team.
I do not understand why any European should care about this circus.

It is really sad that there is ZERO media articles about financial compensation for European (Russian) players by NHL clubs. I noticed just this tweet. To translate from Swedish, some irrelevant Swedish football player has much bigger transfer value (transfer fee) than world-class hockey player from Europe. :(

Sadly, when European media are commenting on NHL draft, they undirectly or even directly support this unfair model.

Reactions: Atas2000

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Hard to believe you looked at 70+ players but Buffalo just drafted their third Russian forward and it's someone not mentioned here.

Did you have any thoughts about CSKA right wing Stiven Sardarian?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Hard to believe you looked at 70+ players but Buffalo just drafted their third Russian forward and it's someone not mentioned here.

Did you have any thoughts about CSKA right wing Stiven Sardarian?

It happens every year actually, so it is something I'm used to. :) As for thoughts, I actually already answered that kind of question about him on the first page.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
It happens every year actually, so it is something I'm used to. :) As for thoughts, I actually already answered that kind of question about him on the first page.

Sorry I missed it. Must have spelled it incorrectly when I checked.

Reactions: Caser

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Do you know anything about:
Draft#:198 *
Ivan Vorobyov
Ht/Wt:5'11"/156 lbs
Position:RW
Team: Khanty-Mansiysk 2 (RUS)

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

How about Vyacheslav Peksa, the keeper the leafs drafted who played with Artur Akhtyamov last year.

Don't see him mentioned anywhere in this thread, and I can't find anything about him.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
i actually am surprised by the Sabres by taking not just one, but TWO russians!

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Damn, thats even more Russians than the sabres drafted the past decade
They talked about in their press conference reevaluating their draft process with new management and more comfortability drafting Russians and Czechs. Worth noting a lot of Russians played a lot more hockey than their NA counter parts in the last two years.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
anything on krill tankov?

He kind of was under the radar for me, so can't really tell anything unfortunately.

Do you know anything about:
Draft#:198 *
Ivan Vorobyov
Ht/Wt:5'11"/156 lbs
Position:RW
Team: Khanty-Mansiysk 2 (RUS)

Seen him some time in the MHL and in the Sochi tournament, he didn't leave much of an impression, but was getting his points somehow. I'd trust your scout though, he usually knows what he is doing.

How about Vyacheslav Peksa, the keeper the leafs drafted who played with Artur Akhtyamov last year.

Don't see him mentioned anywhere in this thread, and I can't find anything about him.

Because it's either a genius pick or just a waste of it. Really, when at his age a player is just a unremarkable backup in the MHL it makes you doubt his future in hockey at all.

i actually am surprised by the Sabres by taking not just one, but TWO russians!

They took 4 this year

Because MHL youtube streams are for free.

Most Russian players drafted since 2003. Solid draft

I wouldn't judge it by the numbers though, but overall it was weird but ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad