Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I've said this a few times, but it bears repeating -- in most drafts the gulf between the #1 and #2 pick is larger than it is this year between the #1 and #7 pick. It's almost uncanny how tight the rankings -- both mine and the consensus -- are between the top 7 players: Beniers, Clarke, Eklund, Guenther, Hughes, Johnson & Power.

Seems we agree. The top 7 are pretty much almost equal to me.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I see many fans sayig how important it is to draft Luke Hughes so he doesn't end up in Vancouver in fear that Jack might bounce when he hits UFA. I kind of think that's a silly thing to think about, especially since Jack is team controlled for a long time still.

How do you guys feel about it? Curious to hear your thoughts.
I am not really scared of it happening but it may be a possibility. I just think Luke could be a dominant player and would go a long ways to have the two of them on the team together for various reasons.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I am not really scared of it happening but it may be a possibility. I just think Luke could be a dominant player and would go a long ways to have the two of them on the team together for various reasons.

Brandt Clarke could also be a dominant player. Though he is not the elite skater which Luke Hughes is, I'd have to rate literally every other aspect of Clarke's game a bit higher than Hughes, and Clarke is a RD which is more needed in the Devils organization.

Owen Power could also be a dominant player, and he gives 6'6 of excellent skating and a litany of hockey tools. Though he plays the same LD position as Hughes, Power is a completely different type of player -- one which the Devils would also very much benefit from.

I'm not saying Hughes would not be a great pick for the Devils. He would be a terrific pick. But I do also feel that people are getting a bit too stuck on the idea of needing to draft him because of his last name. People are making -- I'll use the word silly -- suggestion that the Devils should trade up from #6 to get Hughes in a draft with incredible parity in the top 7.

If the Devils win the lottery? Or even the 2nd or 3rd pick? Hughes might be the Devils pick, but then again he might not. But the likely scenario for the Devils draft has the Devils picking in the 5th-8th neighborhood, in which case the Devils pick will be largely defined by what the teams drafting ahead of them choose to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad