Prospect Info: 2021 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #6

Who is the Devils' #6 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Went Bahl here, since he got some time last season and I thought he looked good. The potential is there.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Someone please vote for Stillman for me, I left my deceased grandfathers ballot at home!

im just kidding lmao. But for real lets get Stillman the win here, even though I can see every argument for Bahl there as he had a steady NHL showing.

But im all about shiny toy syndrome

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Not sure if it’s been said already but are we all voting on where we see these prospects NOW… or are we voting on who we think is going to be the best player?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Bahl. Add Gritsyuk.

I had him at third and will be disappointed if he is not in the NHL this year.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Bahl is a weird case. He was honestly decent in his short stint in the NHL, but he was simply not good in the AHL. Don't really know how that happened, and because of it, he's a tough guy to get a read on.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Not sure if it’s been said already but are we all voting on where we see these prospects NOW… or are we voting on who we think is going to be the best player?

giphy.webp

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
A little bit of recency bias, a little bit of him being a new type of player for the prospect pool that we have sorely lacked and people getting excited even if he doesn't necessarily deserve to go this high. He should go more like 9, but if he had had a normal season this past year, he might actually have been deserving of 6.

I don’t see his ceiling as any lower than Bahl or Clarke as far as total on ice impact.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Bahl should not have this many votes IMO. He had a rough season in AHL followed by a short stint in the NHL where he wasn’t awful but wasn’t good either. There was other young defensemen who were better than him in Binghamton and should be rated very similarly or even slightly better who are getting way less votes(eg Okhotiuk).
Feel like people are a little too excited by the fact that he’s so big was good in the OHL and didn’t fall apart in his short NHL stint. It’s hard to see him being more than a bottom pairing guy. Players like Stillman and Clarke should be ahead.

Add Daws

Reactions: bossram

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Bahl should not have this many votes IMO. He had a rough season in AHL followed by a short stint in the NHL where he wasn’t awful but wasn’t good either. There was other young defensemen who were better than him in Binghamton and should be rated very similarly or even slightly better who are getting way less votes(eg Okhotiuk).
Feel like people are a little too excited by the fact that he’s so big was good in the OHL and didn’t fall apart in his short NHL stint. It’s hard to see him being more than a bottom pairing guy. Players like Stillman and Clarke should be ahead.

Add Daws

But are we voting on where we see these prospects NOW… or are we voting on who we think is going to be the best player?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
But are we voting on where we see these prospects NOW… or are we voting on who we think is going to be the best player?

Yes.

It’s however you would choose to value a prospect; so it’s likely some combination of how you view them now and how you think their future will go.

If people solely based the list on how good they thought the players were right now then the list would mostly go in order of age.

Reactions: Darkauron

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Yes.

It’s however you would choose to value a prospect; so it’s likely some combination of how you view them now and how you think their future will go.

If people solely based the list on how good they thought the players were right now then the list would mostly go in order of age.
giphy.webp

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I vote by first who I think will be a NHL player...2nd, who I think will most likely reach the largest portion of their potential.

I think floors and ceilings are largely bullshit based a pre-draft narratives. I think anybody who has followed those pre-draft profiles for any significant amount of time, have seen how wildly inaccurate they could be.

Pre-draft you have a Adam Larsson as smooth skating 2 way defender with ceiling of Lidstrom...Bullshit --- He didn't miss his "ceiling" the narrative was bullshit from the very beginning.

--- "Pro scouts know more than you bro..."

“He’s much better now than Lidstrom was at the same age,” Tommy Boustedt, the Swedish hockey federation’s national director of development, said in a phone interview from Sweden. “If he hadn’t played for our under-18 team in April he would have played on our men’s national team in May, he’s that good.
“I think he will be, in the end, one of the best defenders our country has ever produced.”

Scout’s Honor:

“Great tournament,” one scout said of Larsson’s WJC, which was all the more impressive because he was battling through a groin injury. “He stepped up and made himself a factor. He was moving his feet more, just a lot more involved than we had seen him. From the blueline in, he’s a lot more dangerous offensively than (Victor) Hedman at the same age.” (TSN)

One European NHL scout from a Western Conference team told NHL.com that Larsson might be ahead of where Victor Hedman was at the midway point of his draft year two years ago. Hedman was chosen by the Tampa Bay Lightning with the No. 2 pick in 2009.
“Hedman was allowed to do more with his home team in Sweden, so they let him be more active with the puck and try different things,” the scout said. “I think Adam Larsson plays a safer game. I certainly think he has the same potential as Hedman. He’s every bit as good with the puck and he might be a touch tougher. Hedman is a little bigger, but they’re both unbelievably good skaters. I think I would take Larsson over Hedman if I could, based on what I’ve seen the last three years.”
(NHL.com)

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is where it gets to be a bit of a mis-mash.

I'd go Stillman though. It's hard to evaluate because there wasn't an OHL season, but he was a pretty highly-regarded 16 year old. I think he has the most upside, so that's the pick.

Reactions: HyperX

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Quick vote for Stillman! Hes a first round pick!

Dont let Chase down! Hes easily the most well-spoken prospect weve ever had - that counts for something!

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Who we think is going to be the best player. Which is kind of what I’m arguing. I just think some people are overexcited about Bahl all of the sudden and he’s getting way too many votes because he played in the NHL for a bit this year and didn’t shit the bed. He had a bad season before that and if anything his stock as a prospect has gone down IMO. Coming into the season I would’ve hoped for more from him. I don’t think he’s a guy with much more potential than a big third pair dman.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I struggle to choose Stillman here, if you had me rank 21 draft prospects before the draft I would have had Salminen ahead of Stillman. Now the Devils taking Stillman in the first made me look closer and like what I see but...not THAT much more. Need to see him crush it in the OHL next season before I feel confident Fitz didn't reach big time.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
From the first poll:

:laugh: why stop there? here's what i said in 2020:

i say this every year, but can’t we define what we’re judging? apologies if i missed it. is it nhl readiness? potential ceiling?

i'm sure i said similar things in 2019 and 2018, but i'm too lazy to go back and look. this is like asking a group of 100 people if the weather was warm or hot yesterday, without defining what those terms actually mean.

but i promise i'm never bringing it up again. i give up! upwards and onwards with essentially meaningless conclusions! :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad