Reilly Walsh

Colton White
Yegor Zaitsev
Fabian Zetterlund

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Tyce Thompson and Jaromir Pytlik went way too early in these rankings.

Walsh went too low. (Should be behind Stillman, ahead of Okhotyuk)

Voting Zetterlund with this one. Add Talvitie.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
McCarthy for me too. Then it's time to give the goalies some love, maybe with Zeterlund sprinkled in there.

Reactions: OmNomNom

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
guaranteed zetterlund wins this because of the Mr. Universe picture that was just posted lol. same way salimen got voted in after somebody posted an article they wrote about him.

anyway, voted daws add...talvitie, i guess

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
guaranteed zetterlund wins this because of the Mr. Universe picture that was just posted lol. same way salimen got voted in after somebody posted an article they wrote about him.

anyway, voted daws add...talvitie, i guess

I don’t want Zetterlund to find out I didn’t vote for him. He can rip a phone book apart.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That’s great we have good pack of prospects we have some promises about. And some of them will surprise us positively. Some negatively, but the amount is good.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It’s insane how deep this pool is now…especially compared to 5 years ago. We’re 15 prospects in and there’s still legitimate NHL upside for a handful of guys not yet on the list.

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the athletic just did a writeup on our prospects, they have some different ideas than we do lol

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
the athletic just did a writeup on our prospects, they have some different ideas than we do lol
It’s three tiers, with A, B, C grade within the first tier and the names are in alphabetical order within tiers. After the top two tiers the prospects with a greater likelihood of playing some NHL games seemed to rate higher that guys with higher ceilings. (Masisak never actually says what the tiers specifically mean *shrug*)

#1a(2)/#1b (1): Mercer is alone in Tier #1b so he’s #3 after Holtz & Hughes.
  • Wheeler had Holtz 18th on his top 50 and Mercer a HM. Not a shocker.
Tier #1C (3): is the same three as our #4-#6.

Tier #2 (4): is the same as our #7, #8 and #10 plus one.
  • Masisak puts Walsh at #9 and posters who were complaining that #14 is probably low for Walsh aren’t wrong. People just aren’t that into him for a number of reasons, the big one being the existence of Hamilton and Smith don’t make him the most helpful 22 yo RHD prospect right now. (The Top Shelf list from the other thread unfortunately included Ty Smith instead of Walsh so there aren’t other any new prospect lists from prospect sites to compare to yet.)
Tier #3 (7): This does differ a lot (and gets a little weird for me), with Thompson being the only player on are list being included in the seven players here. The other six include:
  • Two goaltenders: Daws & Schmid. For me, the prospect list is more “who the f*** knows” then usual in many ways including the pile up at goal. I hate the Málek pick (at 100 in terms of value) but he’s lurking, Brady’s bout with mono made last season an even bigger mess so he could surprise with the starter role and these two are going pro. I see the argument for them to be in Tier 2 but all these goalies with questions make my head hurt *shrug*
  • AHL Forwards: Studenic & Zetterlund Masisak basically says they can make the team.
He has a quote from Mark Dennehy about FZ:
“This year I think he was more fit. I think he understood the North American game a bit better. And I think it probably suits his game better, because he’s more of a straight-line guy. He understood how to get into position to shoot the puck, which is a big asset for him. What I really liked about his adjustment this year was his attention to detail. I mean everything from proper angles on defensemen so you don’t get overplayed, stick detail on the forecheck. He was just a much more well-rounded player this year.”
  • Ethan Edwards: Hey look, it’s @StevenToddIves favorite 2020 pick! (narrator: He was not his favorite 2020 pick).
Masisek explains (and also has quotes from a teammate and Michigan coach Mel Pearson):
This might be a touch aggressive putting Edwards in this tier (and he’d be rated near the top of it if this were a numerical ranking), but he’s a very intriguing prospect who might have been a bit underrated in his draft year.
  • AHL defenseman: Colton White. Yeah, that’s gonna be a no from me, dawg. It’s true, in theory, that he could be a spare defenseman in the press box since it’s doesn’t matter if he does get playing in Utica. I guess he believes NHL games make him tier 3?
Tier #4 (6): Well, after that weirdness we’re a bit back in sync with #9 & #11 being two of the six players in this tier.

A lot of the guys getting votes are in this tier (Misyul & Monihan) or they are at least in the poll (Brady). And only one player from not yet in the poll from this tier: Aarne Talvitie.

Tier #5 (9): This tier is big, with nine players, and it’s all unsigned players and Schnarr.
  • #12, Pytlik is in it. As is the current leader, Gritsyuk, of this poll.
  • Guys currently in poll in this tier: Bardakov, McCathy
  • Guys not in the poll: Baumgartner, Schnarr, Schlaine, Vilén, Zaitsev
Tier #6 (5): the rest. Groleau, Hurtig, Málek, Päkkilä, Pasic

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s three tiers, with A, B, C grade within the first tier and the names are in alphabetical order within tiers. After the top two tiers the prospects with a greater likelihood of playing some NHL games seemed to rate higher that guys with higher ceilings. (Masisak never actually says what the tiers specifically mean *shrug*)

#1a(2)/#1b (1): Mercer is alone in Tier #1b so he’s #3 after Holtz & Hughes.
  • Wheeler had Holtz 18th on his top 50 and Mercer a HM. Not a shocker.
Tier #1C (3): is the same three as our #4-#6.

Tier #2 (4): is the same as our #7, #8 and #10 plus one.
  • Masisak puts Walsh at #9 and posters who were complaining that #14 is probably low for Walsh aren’t wrong. People just aren’t that into him for a number of reasons, the big one being the existence of Hamilton and Smith don’t make him the most helpful 22 yo RHD prospect right now. (The Top Shelf list from the other thread unfortunately included Ty Smith instead of Walsh so there aren’t other any new prospect lists from prospect sites to compare to yet.)
Tier #3 (7): This does differ a lot (and gets a little weird for me), with Thompson being the only player on are list being included in the seven players here. The other six include:
  • Two goaltenders: Daws & Schmid. For me, the prospect list is more “who the f*** knows” then usual in many ways including the pile up at goal. I hate the Málek pick (at 100 in terms of value) but he’s lurking, Brady’s bout with mono made last season an even bigger mess so he could surprise with the starter role and these two are going pro. I see the argument for them to be in Tier 2 but all these goalies with questions make my head hurt *shrug*
  • AHL Forwards: Studenic & Zetterlund Masisak basically says they can make the team.
He has a quote from Mark Dennehy about FZ:

• Ethan Edwards: Hey look, it’s @StevenToddIves favorite 2020 pick! (narrator: He was not his favorite 2020 pick).
Masisek explains (and also has quotes from a teammate and Michigan coach Mel Pearson):

• AHL defenseman: Colton White. Yeah, that’s gonna be a no from me, dawg. It’s true, in theory, that he could be a spare defenseman in the press box since it’s doesn’t matter if he does get playing in Utica. I guess he believes NHL games make him tier 3?
Tier #4 (6): Well, after that weirdness we’re a bit back in sync with #9 & #11 being two of the six players in this tier.

A lot of the guys getting votes are in this tier (Misyul & Monihan) or they are at least in the poll (Brady). And only one player from not yet in the poll from this tier: Aarne Talvitie.

Tier #5 (9): This tier is big, with nine players, and it’s all unsigned players and Schnarr.
  • #12, Pytlik is in it. As is the current leader, Gritsyuk, of this poll.
  • Guys currently in poll in this tier: Bardakov, McCathy
  • Guys not in the poll: Baumgartner, Schnarr, Schlaine, Vilén, Zaitsev
Tier #6 (5): the rest. Groleau, Hurtig, Málek, Päkkilä, Pasic

Did you get John Cleese or Eric Idle to do the voice over for the narrator?

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad