2021 Draft - 1st Pick: Xavier Bourgault (F)

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Your contract can only slide if you are drafted out of Europe playing in the AHL.

Players drafted out of NA can only go to AHL when they are 20 or older, and when they do the entry level contract is being burned whether they are in AHL or NHL. When you are 19 or under, the entry level contract won't start in juniors.

This is not true. Bouchard being an example. Bourgault isn't eligible though.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
This tournament style is junk, lol

I don’t care that it’s “how it’s always been done”

Even the NHL SiriusXM guys were complaining that the Memorial Cup doesn’t represent enough of the CHL teams. Would be nice to see it expanded.

Reactions: oilers'72

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Was he goal sucking too much for your liking?
No, he plays a rounder game than Hyman, that is evident from my limited viewing of Bourgault but that doesn't mean it'll translate to the NHL and there's no guarantee he'll be a top scoring winger in the NHL.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nothing wrong with the tournament format. If anything, I might like to see a bit more fluidity/flexibility with scheduling so that teams qualifying late after gruelling league championships maybe have their initial first game moved back within the round robin play. Won't ever happen but I think it would help especially crossing time zones too.

Hamilton is an example of that but good enough to push back to win within a pretty tight competition. WHL absolutely getting clobbered with crazy playoff travel schedule and too many teams with has diluted the roster quality. Oil Kings were one of the best teams coming out of the Dub in like forever. Sent home first with one measly OT win. .

I really enjoyed watching Shawinigan who were efficient with their PP (23.5% on 17 PP's - 6 more Power Plays than the other 3 teams). The difference in the Shawinigan Hamilton first game was a 3-7 PP. I thought they might be vulnerable if the PP cooled off. Final round robin they went 0-4 against St. Johns. More disciplined in the semi final, Hamilton killed the only Shawinigan PP.

Posted previously, Bourgault looks excellent with a good processor to slip into soft ice in high quality scoring areas. Excellent release and accurate shot. Smart distributor as well with Bourque, another player with a great processor. Will need to get stronger, continue to work on first burst speed moving to pro competition. Doubt that he would be ready or rushed onto an Oilers roster trying to compete at a playoff final 4 level. Transition on a realistic development in Bako and ideally solidify a lot of this raw ability against mature AHL competition. Easy to see the raw elements of a future shooter winger who might one day find open ice alongside the disruptive slasher game of McDavid. But temper expectation as the kid likely won't be skipping steps.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Nothing wrong with the tournament format. If anything, I might like to see a bit more fluidity/flexibility with scheduling so that teams qualifying late after gruelling league championships maybe have their initial first game moved back within the round robin play. Won't ever happen but I think it would help especially crossing time zones too.

Hamilton is an example of that but good enough to push back to win within a pretty tight competition. WHL absolutely getting clobbered with crazy playoff travel schedule and too many teams with has diluted the roster quality. Oil Kings were one of the best teams coming out of the Dub in like forever. Sent home first with one measly OT win. .

I really enjoyed watching Shawinigan who were efficient with their PP (23.5% on 17 PP's - 6 more Power Plays than the other 3 teams). The difference in the Shawinigan Hamilton first game was a 3-7 PP. I thought they might be vulnerable if the PP cooled off. Final round robin they went 0-4 against St. Johns. More disciplined in the semi final, Hamilton killed the only Shawinigan PP.

Posted previously, Bourgault looks excellent with a good processor to slip into soft ice in high quality scoring areas. Excellent release and accurate shot. Smart distributor as well with Bourque, another player with a great processor. Will need to get stronger, continue to work on first burst speed moving to pro competition. Doubt that he would be ready or rushed onto an Oilers roster trying to compete at a playoff final 4 level. Transition on a realistic development in Bako and ideally solidify a lot of this raw ability against mature AHL competition. Easy to see the raw elements of a future shooter winger who might one day find open ice alongside the disruptive slasher game of McDavid. But temper expectation as the kid likely won't be skipping steps.

Doesn't that kind of point out that there is something wrong with the format?

The Oil Kings were one of the best teams in the CHL all season and came in with a massive handicap.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Doesn't that kind of point out that there is something wrong with the format?

The Oil Kings were one of the best teams in the CHL all season and came in with a massive handicap.
The issue is with the WHL who have over extended their # of teams across a ridiculous geographic area and multiple time zones which results in diluted rosters and bagged teams fighting to win the Dub Championship. Oil Kings just to win their league had playoff travel schedules including Lethbridge, Red Deer, Winnipeg and finally Seattle. Had to run through the farthest Eastern team in the league then play one of the farthest West with international travel to win the Championship. War of attrition losing their game breaking scorer in the final round.

Then hop two more time zones and thousand miles to play in Atlantic Canada. Perfect storm for the Oil Kings but the WHL have made their bed diluting the rosters and geographic footprint. The Memorial Cup is an amazing tournament which has been cyclical in terms of the relative strengths of its three leagues. But this sustained losing by the WHL is different. Per above its diluted its competitive advantage.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
The issue is with the WHL who have over extended their # of teams across a ridiculous geographic area and multiple time zones which results in diluted rosters and bagged teams fighting to win the Dub Championship. Oil Kings just to win their league had playoff travel schedules including Lethbridge, Red Deer, Winnipeg and finally Seattle. Had to run through the farthest Eastern team in the league then play one of the farthest West with international travel to win the Championship. War of attrition losing their game breaking scorer in the final round.

Then hop two more time zones and thousand miles to play in Atlantic Canada. Perfect storm for the Oil Kings but the WHL have made their bed diluting the rosters and geographic footprint. The Memorial Cup is an amazing tournament which has been cyclical in terms of the relative strengths of its three leagues. But this sustained losing by the WHL is different. Per above its diluted its competitive advantage.

They should consider splitting the East and West into separate leagues. Boomer on NHL SiriusXM was hinting at that as well, saying that the Memorial Cup has lost some shine over the years (for other reasons as well).

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They should consider splitting the East and West into separate leagues. Boomer on NHL SiriusXM was hinting at that as well, saying that the Memorial Cup has lost some shine over the years (for other reasons as well).
Interesting thought but I don't see that happening. I also don't think the Memorial Cup has lost any shine as the best on best champions playoff. Highly disappointed in the poor WHL showing for a decade but the reasons are fairly clear, imo.

Reactions: Barrsy

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
No, he plays a rounder game than Hyman, that is evident from my limited viewing of Bourgault but that doesn't mean it'll translate to the NHL and there's no guarantee he'll be a top scoring winger in the NHL.
so why make a statement like that? He was very noticeable in rookie camp, and had another positive year, especially in this MM Cup run. His trajectory is most definitely NHL bound right now

Your statement is beyond negative, especially for someone who admits they haven't watched sweet F ALL of him. Perhaps don't make opinions unless you have an iota of background to back it up?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
so why make a statement like that? He was very noticeable in rookie camp, and had another positive year, especially in this MM Cup run. His trajectory is most definitely NHL bound right now

Your statement is beyond negative, especially for someone who admits they haven't watched sweet F ALL of him. Perhaps don't make opinions unless you have an iota of background to back it up?
You want some background? He got clobbered working the half boards during his limited wjc action and if he pulls that forehand toe drag, I've seen him do a bunch of times against junior aged players, he'll get cranked in the NHL. That's the background, now for the future, he's got a lot of work to do and at least two years in the minors ahead of him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You want some background? He got clobbered working the half boards during his limited wjc action and if he pulls that forehand toe drag, I've seen him do a bunch of times against junior aged players, he'll get cranked in the NHL. That's the background, now for the future, he's got a lot of work to do and at least two years in the minors ahead of him.
Is that actually legit background tho? You seem to be on an island on your own shouting that Hyman goalsucks, and also called him a weak player. Klima 2.0 is i recall. Yet Zack is mostly a grindrer lolol. You also claimed that Nurse wasn't hurt and is just selfish out there.

I'd venture to say your draft analysis is less than accurate based on your NHL breakdowns, cuz you miss the mark an awful lot

I'll go to Eklund for a better background on XB, but thanks anyways

Also, I'll happily point out you said " I have limited viewing", but then claim he toedrags a bunch of times. That's some in depth analysis

Last edited:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

ro08ZmQ1MeqZypzgDN.gif

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
How does it work, 4 goes home and 2 plays 3 to see who plays #1? So 1 gets a bye? I looked at the standings and they seem pretty well clear of Hamilton, I thought they just went straight to the finals.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Ha. Your background is one play. Too funny

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Is that actually legit background tho? You seem to be on an island on your own shouting that Hyman goalsucks, and also called him a weak player. Klima 2.0 is i recall. Yet Zack is mostly a grindrer lolol. You also claimed that Nurse wasn't hurt and is just selfish out there.

I'd venture to say your draft analysis is less than accurate based on your NHL breakdowns, cuz you miss the mark an awful lot

Also, I'll happily point out you said " I have limited viewing", but then claim he toedrags a bunch of times. That's some in depth analysis
Wait, he said Hyman is a goal suck? He’s Klima 2.0?
I cannot imagine 2 more ludicrous evaluations.
And he said Nurse wasn’t injured? Anyone with a functioning cerebral cortex could see he was.Never mind It was confirmed He was injured.

Only reasonable conclusion is that said poster doesn’t watch or ….

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Mix actual stuff I said, some of it opinion and some it irrefutable, together with half-truths and a few particulars I never suggested at all. Add it up and it's a whole lie.

forlecious commander

Apr 11, 2022
Interesting thought but I don't see that happening. I also don't think the Memorial Cup has lost any shine as the best on best champions playoff. Highly disappointed in the poor WHL showing for a decade but the reasons are fairly clear, imo.
It draws very good when it comes East. In East, I mean Atlantic Canada
I went to Mem Cup in 2019 in Halifax. They were getting sellouts. 10,000 a game

forlecious commander

Apr 11, 2022
How does it work, 4 goes home and 2 plays 3 to see who plays #1? So 1 gets a bye? I looked at the standings and they seem pretty well clear of Hamilton, I thought they just went straight to the finals.
They did
SNB played SHA in the last round robin. If SNB beat them in regulation, they would win 1st an go to final.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It draws very good when it comes East. In East, I mean Atlantic Canada
I went to Mem Cup in 2019 in Halifax. They were getting sellouts. 10,000 a game
Ya, I can see how Atlantic Canada would embrace the Mea Cup and be a great regional host. I've been to three Memorial Cups with two in my hometown of Saskatoon. The 2013 Memorial Cup there finished as the 4th highest attendance while the smallest city host by a significant amount: 2013 MasterCard Memorial Cup Attendance Hits 4th All-Time – Saskatoon Blades

It is such a great tournament with junior hockey fans attending from all across the country!

forlecious commander

Apr 11, 2022
Ya, I can see how Atlantic Canada would embrace the Mea Cup and be a great regional host. I've been to three Memorial Cups with two in my hometown of Saskatoon. The 2013 Memorial Cup there finished as the 4th highest attendance while the smallest city host by a significant amount: 2013 MasterCard Memorial Cup Attendance Hits 4th All-Time – Saskatoon Blades

It is such a great tournament with junior hockey fans attending from all across the country!
I had a great time when I was at it. There were fans from all over. The CIS University Cup draws well . If UNB, STFX, and SMU all make it, there are sellouts

Seen a game in 1995 in Saskatoon . Blades were playing PA. Chris Phillips was playing. Wade Belak fought right in front of us. My buddy from NS ran a Tim Hortons in Saskatoon and had season tickets front row. Stayed for a week. Even spent time in a little spot called Aberdeen I think north of Saskatoon

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
1705336357854.png

From Lowetide... first column is pre Xmas. Underwhelming for sure. Second column is since Xmas.. even more underwhelming.

I keep hoping he's our next Eberle and can be a 50 point guy in the Top 6 but, right now, he is progressing very poorly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad