Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
I don’t know how relevant or reliable this is but it is someone else
Will Scouch puts together pretty thorough prospect analysis, and I think he does pretty good work with that. I have no idea whatsoever if he has any connections or if he is simply regurgitating what he heard Doerrie say. Around 41:45 of his most recent live stream on YouTube he very briefly hints at it, in a similar fashion to how vague Rachel was.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Will Scouch puts together pretty thorough prospect analysis, and I think he does pretty good work with that. I have no idea whatsoever if he has any connections or if he is simply regurgitating what he heard Doerrie say. Around 41:45 of his most recent live stream on YouTube he very briefly hints at it, in a similar fashion to how vague Rachel was.

Will has also had Rachel on as a guest before so it's possible one of them got it from the other.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

Here it is.

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
It's pretty hard because this comes up literally every year. Were you posting about Kiril Kabanov or Josh Ho Sang? Ryan Merkley? John McFarland? Patrick O'Sullivan, for the old-timers? This is the public conversation. It's a bit unseemly, but this is the industry, and this is what it trafficks in.
I couldn't tell you one bad thing I heard about the four prospects you mentioned, I don't have the time to get that involved, but if media members are badmouthing kids character based on heresy, that shit needs to stop, shit that gets spilled outside that norm (HF for example) is impossible to stop, but it would be helpful AND responsible if members of the media didn't part in gossip of kids character.

And what about Patrick O'Sullivan, he was abused by his dad I remember, but outside that was the gossip on his character?

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
The question is how are these "character issues" just coming up now?

What does managing his personality even mean? lol

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
While we can rightfully suggest that the media has an actual responsibility when discussing minors, it doesn't change the behind the scenes reality. What a pundit says has no bearing on what any prospect is like and how he interacts with his team, teammates, etc. We know from the Tony DeAngelo saga that personality/character can matter and may overshadow talent. Again, my guess is that this is just a talking point for attention and at a minimum, both NJ and VAN will have the inside scoop on Luke and I cannot imagine there is any way he doesn't speak at length with both teams. Both Jack and Quinn seem fairly sharp and I expect Luke will be as well. Even if they are snarky they do a decent job of turning it on and off. Jack seems popular with teammates. If Luke is a good teammate it's hard to see character/personality being a long term concern, even if he's mean when asked for an autograph.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
While we can rightfully suggest that the media has an actual responsibility when discussing minors, it doesn't change the behind the scenes reality. What a pundit says has no bearing on what any prospect is like and how he interacts with his team, teammates, etc. We know from the Tony DeAngelo saga that personality/character can matter and may overshadow talent. Again, my guess is that this is just a talking point for attention and at a minimum, both NJ and VAN will have the inside scoop on Luke and I cannot imagine there is any way he doesn't speak at length with both teams. Both Jack and Quinn seem fairly sharp and I expect Luke will be as well. Even if they are snarky they do a decent job of turning it on and off. Jack seems popular with teammates. If Luke is a good teammate it's hard to see character/personality being a long term concern, even if he's mean when asked for an autograph.
Teams wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't try to get a grasp of these kids personalities, it's a multi-million business and these draft picks are the key to them winning and making money. Look at Coyotes, and that one you didn't have to do much if any digging to see the kid was a problem child. But its set them back years in many ways.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Teams wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't try to get a grasp of these kids personalities, it's a multi-million business and these draft picks are the key to them winning and making money. Look at Coyotes, and that one you didn't have to do much if any digging to see the kid was a problem child. But its set them back years in many ways.

The outlooks and expectations of the people doing the evaluating have a lot to do with the results of the evaluation in my experience. Apparently Barzal dropped down some draft boards because of his interviews. It hasn't stopped him from playing well in the NHL or succeeding on a Lou run Trotz coached team which probably functions in a fairly old school style.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
For two people throwing it out there so casually, almost in a "yeah, William Shatner is known to be a jerk," way, where no one really questions it because you've heard it so many times, is strange. Where are these people hearing a "few" different things about him? For someone ranked so high up and for two people to say it so matter of fact, you would think you would have heard something from someone credible.

I'm not saying one way or another true or false, or whether or not I even care, just strange. Did I miss something?

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
The Hughes' brothers are frat bros

theres your 'character issues' right there, if they can even be labeled that

Thats the exact extent of what this is all about. The Hughes' brothers are somewhat brash, very confident, and know they have a very good life paved ahead of them before any of them have even turned 22. That can inflate your head a bit and that happens to a metric f*** ton of athletes that make it before theyve matured. Itd happen to a majority of us too.. just think what we were doing at 17-21, and then add in about 5-10 million dollars

Theres nothing to see here until I read that Luke has been nasty to teammates or staff; Im not drafting him based on how he interacts with fans outside established events

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Here's what she said:

Umm, okay, so here are some names that I would avoid, uhh Luke Hughes being like premiere top of that list. Ummmm, I have done quite a bit of uhh, we'll call it character recon and injury recon... and I have not heard a single person with a good thing to say that isn't either related to him or has something to gain. So like, not great. I also don't think that he'll be there for the Canucks to take because New Jersey is going to get forced into taking him. Ummm, but if the Canucks pick 9, what I would say is this, there's no superstars in this draft, but there are contributing, complementary players.

She said he was "premiere, top of the list" of guys not to draft because in her "character recon" not a single objective person had anything good to say about him.
Saying this kind of thing about a literal teenager based on things you’ve heard from people that probably don’t even know him...Honestly she just sounds like an absolute bitch. Not going to sugarcoat it.

Reactions: Darkauron

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Love your posts, and appreciate all the effort you put forth to keep us informed, but you are criminally underrating Olausson IMO. If he goes out side the top 20 I think he will end up the steal of the draft.

Again, I like Olausson. He was the best draft-eligible forward in the Swedish J20 this year for HV71 and was consistently impressive. But I'm wary of a player whose two primary attributes are "big and fast".

Now, this is not to limit Olausson, who also has an excellent shot and a nice set of hands. His skill set actually makes his closest comparable countryman Simon Robertsson. And personally, I think Robertsson is the higher-end prospect for a litany of reasons.

While Olausson's skating is superior to Robertsson, I find Robertsson's shot to be superior in all aspects. But where Robertsson really separates is in play away from the puck. I've never watched Robertsson in a game and questioned his awareness, positioning and decision-making -- three things I've found myself concerned with in several viewings of Olausson. The consistency of compete level has also been an issue for me with Olausson, and not with Robertsson.

Neither of these players are "line drivers", they are both playmakers in the average to above average range. Neither is driving possession or transition. So, you're drafting either to be the finisher on their line, and with their size you would hope that they both become very positive factors along the boards and on the forecheck, as well as in their 200-foot game. Robertsson is well on his way to being such a player, while Olausson is in need of great improvement in these respects.

As it stands, I see Robertsson as a very solid chance as a finisher on an NHL second line with an outside chance of improving a few of his individual skills and being an NHL first-liner. Olausson I see now as a third-liner, who has the upside on a second line. I don't see his playmaking or anticipation as being on the level of other LWs in the 2021 draft like Robertsson, Rosen, Chibrikov, Othmann or Sillinger. This would be less problematic if Olausson was a rabid high-compete guy, but I'd also rank his compete level below the rest of that list. This is my reasoning for ranking him a tier lower.

I agree that there is certainly upside with Olausson -- as there is with any 6'1 winger who can fly and blast the puck. But I see him as an excellent north/south option for your third line, and although it's possible, a lot of improvements need to be made if he is to become a difference maker in a NHL top 6.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you for your insight sir.
How far away from playing in the NHL is he in your opinion ?
I’d think his (Clarke’s) hockey IQ and ability to read plays would offset the importance of filling out and gaining strength ? He can avoid needing to take big hits and out muscling players by having good positioning / good stick / self awareness for lose battles where his route to the puck is not dependant on taking a hit or mucking around in the corners but rather using his smarts bs brute strength?
Im just thinking about if we have a choice between Power Hughes and Clarke , how much of an emphasis will Fitz be puttingt into picking the one of them that’s most NHL ready or will be the quickest to develop ? Hopefully none and they go with best fit/ player

I think the optimistic timeline for Clarke or Power to compete for an NHL spot is 2022-23. For Hughes, I'd say it's 2023-24, but this is not a knock on Hughes as he's almost a full year younger than Power and a half-year younger than Clarke.

All three of these players will have access to NHL training staffs upon being drafted, and all three will fill out and gain strength by the time we see them in the NHL. It's important to keep in mind that Clarke is 6'2 and Hughes closer to 6'3 and both have projectable frames -- strength will not be an issue for either of them.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I hope one of them makes it to us, if we're higher than the 4th pick I fear they'll both be gone.

Beniers is going top 4. He's not getting a ton of hype on our threads because the Devils are extremely unlikely to take a forward with a top D available, but several teams drafting early need a center and Beniers is an absolutely incredible prospect. His consensus ranking trails only Owen Power, and Buffalo, Anaheim and Seattle would all strongly benefit from drafting a C. Several teams could win the lottery and certainly target Beniers, notably Columbus and Ottawa, but also possibly Detroit and San Jose.

Thus, if the Devils don't pick 4th, they just need to hope that one of the teams ahead of them take another forward. It's not a sure bet, but it's at least a 50/50 shot. While the top two consensus rankings would go to Power and Beniers, it's very close after that between Hughes/Clarke/Eklund/Guenther with Johnson/Edvinsson/Wallstedt just slightly behind them.

The wild card is Seattle -- as expansion teams traditionally take predominantly forwards with their top pick, while the current expansion rules make it far easier to obtain quality defensemen than quality forwards.

Reactions: nugg

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Again, I like Olausson. He was the best draft-eligible forward in the Swedish J20 this year for HV71 and was consistently impressive. But I'm wary of a player whose two primary attributes are "big and fast".

Now, this is not to limit Olausson, who also has an excellent shot and a nice set of hands. His skill set actually makes his closest comparable countryman Simon Robertsson. And personally, I think Robertsson is the higher-end prospect for a litany of reasons.

While Olausson's skating is superior to Robertsson, I find Robertsson's shot to be superior in all aspects. But where Robertsson really separates is in play away from the puck. I've never watched Robertsson in a game and questioned his awareness, positioning and decision-making -- three things I've found myself concerned with in several viewings of Olausson. The consistency of compete level has also been an issue for me with Olausson, and not with Robertsson.

Neither of these players are "line drivers", they are both playmakers in the average to above average range. Neither is driving possession or transition. So, you're drafting either to be the finisher on their line, and with their size you would hope that they both become very positive factors along the boards and on the forecheck, as well as in their 200-foot game. Robertsson is well on his way to being such a player, while Olausson is in need of great improvement in these respects.

As it stands, I see Robertsson as a very solid chance as a finisher on an NHL second line with an outside chance of improving a few of his individual skills and being an NHL first-liner. Olausson I see now as a third-liner, who has the upside on a second line. I don't see his playmaking or anticipation as being on the level of other LWs in the 2021 draft like Robertsson, Rosen, Chibrikov, Othmann or Sillinger. This would be less problematic if Olausson was a rabid high-compete guy, but I'd also rank his compete level below the rest of that list. This is my reasoning for ranking him a tier lower.

I agree that there is certainly upside with Olausson -- as there is with any 6'1 winger who can fly and blast the puck. But I see him as an excellent north/south option for your third line, and although it's possible, a lot of improvements need to be made if he is to become a difference maker in a NHL top 6.
I like Robertsson but I wasn’t blown away by his U18 performance and I’m not as high on his potential. I think Olausson’s best attributes are his skating, shot and hands not just his size and speed. Robertson has a good shot too if it’s in the right spot but he doesn’t seem to be able to get it off consistently enough or in all situations. I think Olausson’s skillset gives him potential to drive a line and be a steal if a few things go right. I think Robertsson is a safer pick with a more complete game right now but I don’t think his skating or puck skills are as good and I think that limits his ceiling.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Beniers is going top 4. He's not getting a ton of hype on our threads because the Devils are extremely unlikely to take a forward with a top D available, but several teams drafting early need a center and Beniers is an absolutely incredible prospect. His consensus ranking trails only Owen Power, and Buffalo, Anaheim and Seattle would all strongly benefit from drafting a C. Several teams could win the lottery and certainly target Beniers, notably Columbus and Ottawa, but also possibly Detroit and San Jose.

Thus, if the Devils don't pick 4th, they just need to hope that one of the teams ahead of them take another forward. It's not a sure bet, but it's at least a 50/50 shot. While the top two consensus rankings would go to Power and Beniers, it's very close after that between Hughes/Clarke/Eklund/Guenther with Johnson/Edvinsson/Wallstedt just slightly behind them.

The wild card is Seattle -- as expansion teams traditionally take predominantly forwards with their top pick, while the current expansion rules make it far easier to obtain quality defensemen than quality forwards.
I think Edvinsson is a wild card among the players, I've seen others tout him as a Top 5 pick including some in here. I still haven't checked him out so I have no idea but he's a big Swede......but so was Larsson.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think the optimistic timeline for Clarke or Power to compete for an NHL spot is 2022-23. For Hughes, I'd say it's 2023-24, but this is not a knock on Hughes as he's almost a full year younger than Power and a half-year younger than Clarke.

All three of these players will have access to NHL training staffs upon being drafted, and all three will fill out and gain strength by the time we see them in the NHL. It's important to keep in mind that Clarke is 6'2 and Hughes closer to 6'3 and both have projectable frames -- strength will not be an issue for either of them.
Wondering if you watched the Canada game today. Power didn’t play at all at the start but got a shift in the 2nd and quickly earned more ice time and a promotion to a higher pairing. Looked like Canada’s best D IMO and they have some full time established NHLers on D. Even got out on the ice with a minute left when they needed a goal and created quite a bit of offense despite only playing 8 minutes. He’ll play more going forward and if he plays like that it might solidify him as #1 and improve his chances of playing next year.

This is how long I see the 4 D taking to make it to the NHL
Power 0-1 years
Clarke 1-2 years
Hughes 1-3 years
Edvinsson 2-3 years

Hughes is hard to guess. If he has a great year in the NCAA I could see him jumping right in but I could also see him taking a few years to work on some stuff including his defensive game. I think Edvinsson needs a little time to polish off some areas of his game and maybe grow into his big body a little more. I was 50/50 on Power playing next year maybe leaning a bit to him not but after watching him with NHL players today I might start leaning the other way especially if he keeps it up.

Reactions: nugg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like Robertsson but I wasn’t blown away by his U18 performance and I’m not as high on his potential. I think Olausson’s best attributes are his skating, shot and hands not just his size and speed. Robertson has a good shot too if it’s in the right spot but he doesn’t seem to be able to get it off consistently enough or in all situations. I think Olausson’s skillset gives him potential to drive a line and be a steal if a few things go right. I think Robertsson is a safer pick with a more complete game right now but I don’t think his skating or puck skills are as good and I think that limits his ceiling.

We would probably agree it is very difficult to find "line driving" wingers after the top 10. Once you go a tier down, even some of the players I really like for the Devils pick at #21 -- like Othmann and Chibrikov -- are terrific talents, but mostly complimentary in nature.

I feel if you're looking for a guy who can potentially dominate at this pick, the guy to mention would probably be Isak Rosen, who is just hideously under-ranked and under-rated. I'd say he's neck and neck with Lysell in talent, but he's routinely ranked below any of the litany of players we're discussing.

I agree with you that Robertsson's U-18 was underwhelming. He was a guy I really wanted to see step up and establish himself as a top 15 pick, but again the player who achieved this was not Robertsson but rather Rosen. However, though he was by no means a difference-maker, Robertsson played a responsible and solid 200-foot game, which reinforced my idea that he can be a positive attribute even when not scoring.

I'm also in accord that Olausson's skating, shot and hands all grade as excellent. But I -- and I say this ad nauseam but like to repeat it because I'm boring -- weigh passing, compete level and hockey IQ more than most draft evaluators -- and don't find Olausson to be particularly adept in any of these respects. So ultimately, this is why I have Olausson a tier below guys like Robertsson, Rosen, Chibrikov and Othmann.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
We would probably agree it is very difficult to find "line driving" wingers after the top 10. Once you go a tier down, even some of the players I really like for the Devils pick at #21 -- like Othmann and Chibrikov -- are terrific talents, but mostly complimentary in nature.

I feel if you're looking for a guy who can potentially dominate at this pick, the guy to mention would probably be Isak Rosen, who is just hideously under-ranked and under-rated. I'd say he's neck and neck with Lysell in talent, but he's routinely ranked below any of the litany of players we're discussing.

I agree with you that Robertsson's U-18 was underwhelming. He was a guy I really wanted to see step up and establish himself as a top 15 pick, but again the player who achieved this was not Robertsson but rather Rosen. However, though he was by no means a difference-maker, Robertsson played a responsible and solid 200-foot game, which reinforced my idea that he can be a positive attribute even when not scoring.

I'm also in accord that Olausson's skating, shot and hands all grade as excellent. But I -- and I say this ad nauseam but like to repeat it because I'm boring -- weigh passing, compete level and hockey IQ more than most draft evaluators -- and don't find Olausson to be particularly adept in any of these respects. So ultimately, this is why I have Olausson a tier below guys like Robertsson, Rosen, Chibrikov and Othmann.
I absolutely agree about Rosen. I’m not saying Olausson is going to be a line driver but I feel like he does have that potential if things go right.

Rosen and Ceulemans are my favourites for that pick right now but I think Olausson has underrated high end potential second to only Rosen so far of the players that I’ve watched lots of who could be available for our pick. He would have to improve some things but I really like his ceiling.

I’ll probably be happy with whoever we take but if we get Rosen I’ll be ecstatic. Same with Ceulemans.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think Edvinsson is a wild card among the players, I've seen others tout him as a Top 5 pick including some in here. I still haven't checked him out so I have no idea but he's a big Swede......but so was Larsson.

Edvinsson is big (almost 6'5), very fast and has a great set of hands. He is very good defensively, though sometimes he can be irresponsible with his turnovers when trying to force transition, which leads some critics to question his hockey IQ. Personally, I feel he will be an excellent defender at the NHL level -- he covers a lot of ground and space with his speed and wing-span, and his compete level is very, very good.

Where I question Edvinsson in the top 5 is that his offensive capability is not even in the same universe as a Clarke or Hughes. Edvinsson is a pretty good passer, but nothing particularly about his vision jumps off the page. He is a terrific puck-handler, but you can give him a bit of space because his shot is essentially a non-entity -- though Hughes is also criticized for his shooting, even he has a far stronger tool here than Edvinsson. So, without high-end passing or even average shooting, how is Edvinsson to accrue high scoring totals? I feel you're drafting him to be an excellent defensive presence who excels in transition and can chip in some secondary scoring. And while Edvinsson has shut-down potential as a defensive-defenseman, he's not in the same league there as an Owen Power, who also features higher-end passing and a far, far better shot.

So, while I'm high on Edvinsson, for me he's a middle of the first round guy, not a top 8 pick. But size and skating are still the two "Glamour" traits of the draft-eligible prospect, and Edvinsson has them in spades, so I expect to see him drafted in the top 8.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I absolutely agree about Rosen. I’m not saying Olausson is going to be a line driver but I feel like he does have that potential if things go right.

Rosen and Ceulemans are my favourites for that pick right now but I think Olausson has underrated high end potential second to only Rosen so far of the players that I’ve watched lots of who could be available for our pick. He would have to improve some things but I really like his ceiling.

I’ll probably be happy with whoever we take but if we get Rosen I’ll be ecstatic. Same with Ceulemans.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- if 10 years down the line, Isak Rosen turned out to be one of the top two or three scorers from the 2021 draft, I would not be surprised in the least.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Here's what she said:

Umm, okay, so here are some names that I would avoid, uhh Luke Hughes being like premiere top of that list. Ummmm, I have done quite a bit of uhh, we'll call it character recon and injury recon... and I have not heard a single person with a good thing to say that isn't either related to him or has something to gain. So like, not great. I also don't think that he'll be there for the Canucks to take because New Jersey is going to get forced into taking him. Ummm, but if the Canucks pick 9, what I would say is this, there's no superstars in this draft, but there are contributing, complementary players.

She said he was "premiere, top of the list" of guys not to draft because in her "character recon" not a single objective person had anything good to say about him.
I’m judging her on two things, this comment and Elite Prospects bit when they dropped Hughes from 8th to 11th. [edit: Actually Luke was 8th, so it wasn’t that big a drop.] I don’t judge her on former job, her voice, how clickbait works etc

She may or not have useful information about Luke but this a useless, gossipy way to communicate it. I don’t who she talked or or how many people she talked to, she’s merely implying that she talked to multiple people since she did “a lot of character recon”. I don’t know who they are, not in even as general anonymous sources (you know, the way actual journalists do this sort of thing).

I take “character” with prospects very seriously. I believe that work ethic, coachability, leadership, being team-guy, etc plus not being a terrible person in a way in that will blow up a NHL career, are all important. I can’t do anything with a random number of unknown people not “having anything good to say” about Luke’s “character” though. She’s going to need to be a little more specific. That’s some gossipy bs, I’m supposed to take her word about the mysterious flaws of the kid that she learned from mysterious unknown sources. That’s not how to report on things, it useless and, yes, gross. She’s questioning this kid’s character and then encouraging people to fill in the blanks that she leaves. (And it’s only blanks, there’s zero substance.)

This was mentioned on EPrinkside (Elite Prospects) when they dropped him from 8th to 11st:

The other thing is that the next flattering account of his off-ice makeup to grace our staff's ears will be the first; a fair bit of concern around the league that way.

This does claim “concern around the league”. When this came out I spent a fair amount of time googling trying to find other references to that concern but I didn’t find any. I didn’t mention this because it has the same terrible phrasing, it’s still “we haven’t heard anything good” gossip columnist bullshit. Again, she/they may have actual solid information, I just won’t accept in non-journalistic gossip form because I can’t evaluate it.

I do think everyone is sleeping on “injury recon” part. Luke was the white-hot prospect shooting up charts before his nasty foot ligament injury. I assume when she’s saying she heard “good things” from people “who have something to gain” she’s also talking his foot surgery. Elite Prospects broke (?) the injury story and were leaning hard into it when they dropped him to 11th. It’s definitely going influence teams evaluations and it’s not mentioned enough in some rankings, though I think EP went overboard with the injury concerns when we just don’t know how Luke’s foot is doing. If anything the foot injury could help the Devils get Luke if we don’t win the lottery so in the end it could all work out.

The led with concern about the foot injury:
There's a lot of stuff working against Hughes. Let's start with an EliteProspects report that revealed the severity of his injury, a series of torn ligaments in his foot that required surgery. As Doerrie [yep, that’s her] noted in a recent piece on Rinkside, that could prove to be a pretty substantial hurdle, at the very least, in the short-term.

Here’s the rest of their Hughes comments:

Even so, Hughes is a brilliant skater, with great 1-on-1 ability, and a real attacking mentality with the puck on his stick. We've observed some fairly substantial growth on Hughes' part in the defensive side of the game, particularly in the neutral zone, where he's playing a tighter gap and closing with better timing than he was a few months prior. A lack of problem-solving ability keeps coming up as a red flag for our group though.

These more of my concerns with Luke but he is young and his season got cut short. I’m going need bit more substance on “the character recon” before I go there. I don’t have complete confidence in the information provided in what is to me, an embarrassingly shitty way. And I’m not someone lashes out at critics of the team but this isn’t this remotely professional or helpful.

Will has also had Rachel on as a guest before so it's possible one of them got it from the other.
I’m guessing that’s where he got it from unless he says he’s got his own sources. Particularly since they dropped the revised rankings with Hughes at 11th on April 20 and that video is from April 22nd, so he would of just read it recently on EPrinkside.

The EliteProspects Rinkside pre-U18 2021 NHL Draft Ranking - EP Rinkside

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Couple good game results tonight for the possibility of the Islanders pick being 20 or lower. I don’t know if anyone else is still paying much attention to this sort of stuff but I am because it could be the difference between getting the player we want or not getting him.

Pittsburg is up 2-1 on NYI
Winnipeg is up 2-0 on EDM
Montreal is up 1-0 on TOR and they play tomorrow night.

Both those teams have started well, we’ll see how Montreal does tomorrow but if both those teams win round 1 and the Islanders lose that pick will be 19th.

Nashville also got a game back against Carolina keeping them in the series. It’s unlikely they win and they’d still have to beat Tampa or Florida after anyways but who knows. Maybe Hynes has some magic in him.
St. Louis is done, not even on Colorado’s level

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Couple good game results tonight for the possibility of the Islanders pick being 20 or lower. I don’t know if anyone else is still paying much attention to this sort of stuff but I am because it could be the difference between getting the player we want or not getting him.

Pittsburg is up 2-1 on NYI
Winnipeg is up 2-0 on EDM
Montreal is up 1-0 on TOR and they play tomorrow night.

Both those teams have started well, we’ll see how Montreal does tomorrow but if both those teams win round 1 and the Islanders lose that pick will be 19th.

Nashville also got a game back against Carolina keeping them in the series. It’s unlikely they win and they’d still have to beat Tampa or Florida after anyways but who knows. Maybe Hynes has some magic in him.
St. Louis is done, not even on Colorado’s level

I’ve got my eyes on the Islanders and to a lesser degree, the Oilers. The significance of the Predators not making conference finals is where in the 3rd round our pick is from the Hall trade, right? How about the Leafs/Habs series?

It is very important the Islanders do not make the conference finals. At 20, we may be able to land Othmann, Rosen, Lambos, etc. In the late 20s....no chance.

With the Kulikov trade to the Oilers, we need Edmonton to win a round for the conditional 4th round pick to become a 3rd. I feel like there is a marked difference in 3rd round picks compared to 4ths...I see this in the NFL, too.

On a side note, I don’t really care who wins the Cup but it better not be Boston because I loathe that team...

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’ve got my eyes on the Islanders and to a lesser degree, the Oilers. The significance of the Predators not making conference finals is where in the 3rd round our pick is from the Hall trade, right? How about the Leafs/Habs series?

It is very important the Islanders do not make the conference finals. At 20, we may be able to land Othmann, Rosen, Lambos, etc. In the late 20s....no chance.

With the Kulikov trade to the Oilers, we need Edmonton to win a round for the conditional 4th round pick to become a 3rd. I feel like there is a marked difference in 3rd round picks compared to 4ths...I see this in the NFL, too.

On a side note, I don’t really care who wins the Cup but it better not be Boston because I loathe that team...
If the Islanders lose in the first two rounds the pick is 20 or lower. The only way it’s lower is if a team behind them in the regular season standings makes it to the conference finals by winning 2 rounds. The 4 teams behind them in the playoffs are Montreal, Winnipeg, Nashville and St.Louis. I’d actually rather Winnipeg beat Edmonton especially if Montreal beats Toronto because that would guarantee the Islanders pick moves up.

The absolute best case scenario which is very unlikely would be Edmonton winning round one but losing to Montreal in round 2, Nashville and St. Louis coming back and winning their series(not gonna happen) and the Islanders losing in the first 2 rounds. That would give us pick 17 and Edmonton’s 3rd instead of 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad