NFL GDT: 2021 AFC Wild Card Game: (3) Buffalo Bills vs (6) New England Patriots - BUF wins 47-17

BUF vs NE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
I was a freshman in Toronto in 2003 and my don was from Boston.

I remember it was the first game of the season. The Bills won 31-0 and started the first few games of the season well and then went on to stink the rest of the year.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
They passed three times. Just stop it. And how did conditions vastly favor the away team? The Bills are a better team for sure but I don't see why the Patriots didn't deserve their props for running that gimmick game and winning it.
Because they're already a run heavy team? And the Bills are average against the run and elite against the pass? The Bills offense runs to keep you honest against the passing game. The Pats run as their identity.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Josh Allen has dominated the Dolphins his whole career. The Bills beat them twice this year by an average of 25 points.

A 25 point game is more competitive than the 30 now.

Plus game 1 Tua was hurt early and that changed the game a bit.

This is just an embarrassing display. I can’t think of a more embarrassing playoff performance in recent history.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Because they're already a run heavy team? And the Bills are average against the run and elite against the pass? The Bills offense runs to keep you honest against the passing game. The Pats run as their identity.

Except that the Bills have the skills and option to be just as run heavy as the Pats. They have more variety/options. But you're not going to convince me that a win like that wasn't impressive just because a team game-planned well. That's silly. You can write off any win based off of that. Not to mention the X factor that the Pats ran one type of play all game and still couldn't be stopped. Again, they passed three times. It doesn't take anything away from how good the Bills are (obviously) that this game was still unique.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
They passed three times. Just stop it. And how did conditions vastly favor the away team? The Bills are a better team for sure but I don't see why the Patriots didn't deserve their props for running that gimmick game and winning it.

The Pats had weather that favored a run centric team. So they ran. The bills, a pass heavy team couldn’t pass.

Bills barely lost and they were a Diggs or Knox end zone drop away from winning.

When the weather so heavily favors one team over the other and it’s still that close, it’s no surprise the Pats got dominated twice in a row.

In the 2 games where there wasn’t an extreme weather event that got rid of the Bills pass heavy formula the Bills first team offense didn’t need to punt 1 time!

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Pats had weather that favored a run centric team. So they ran. The bills, a pass heavy team couldn’t pass.

Bills barely lost and they were a Diggs or Knox end zone drop away from winning.

When the weather so heavily favors one team over the other and it’s still that close, it’s no surprise the Pats got dominated twice in a row.

In the 2 games where there wasn’t an extreme weather event that got rid of the Bills pass heavy formula the Bills first team offense didn’t need to punt 1 time!

And, once again, no one is denying that the Bills are actually a better team. Just that a team winning in 2021 by throwing the ball three times and running 50+ times deserves credit. Christ.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Except that the Bills have the skills and option to be just as run heavy as the Pats. They have more variety/options. But you're not going to convince me that a win like that wasn't impressive just because a team game-planned well. That's silly. You can write off any win based off of that. Not to mention the X factor that the Pats ran one type of play all game and still couldn't be stopped. Again, they passed three times. It doesn't take anything away from how good the Bills are (obviously) that this game was still unique.
"Couldn't be stopped"

See this is the nonsense that still comes out about that game. They scored less than two points per possession. They popped one early, had one solid 2nd half drive, and then held on to that to dear life as the Bills came up empty on multiple red zone possessions. The Bills were not "embarrassed" as Phil Simms just commented again. They lost a coin toss of a game in conditions that significantly reduced what the offense could do (hence reducing their dynanicism) and absolutely was an advantage for the Patriots. Hyde and Poyer rightly bristled at some of the insane questions that came at them in the post game PC.

The myth of that game has far outstripped the reality.

EDIT: And to reduce "all running plays" to "one type of play" is a joke. There are a ton of different running concepts, all of which need to be defended differently.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yea the patriots put up 14 points that game. They got stopped all night

Want to see what it looks like to see an offense that actually couldn’t be stopped…look at the game tonight

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
"Couldn't be stopped"

See this is the nonsense that still comes out about that game. They scored less than two points per possession. They popped one early, had one solid 2nd half drive, and then held on to that to dear life as the Bills came up empty on multiple red zone possessions. The Bills were not "embarrassed" as Phil Simms just commented again. They lost a coin toss of a game in conditions that significantly reduced what the offense could do (hence reducing their dynanicism) and absolutely was an advantage for the Patriots. Hyde and Poyer rightly bristled at some of the insane questions that came at them in the post game PC.

The myth of that game has far outstripped the reality.

EDIT: And to reduce "all running plays" to "one type of play" is a joke. There are a ton of different running concepts, all of which need to be defended differently.

With all due respect, how wrong of me to get into it with Bills fans on a night like this. Couple things:

- Weather taking out a team's forces shouldn't be held as a gripe against the opponent, especially when the home team should plan/expect for it at least once a year given where they play.
- Of course there's a ton of different runs, doesn't mean that Buffalo shouldn't have done better knowing that Mac Jones was not throwing the ball.

I don't think Buffalo got embarassed. I do think the Pats were able to eat a lot of the field/clock whether points were being scored. They got more 1st downs than they should have considering the context (only five less than Buffalo considering Buffalo threw the balls 30 times at home). That's all. Y'all are still good. And would have been ecstatic with the roles reversed.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
edf36cabfcc45e7cdc75e2588ce306b8.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Know Your Enemy

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
With all due respect, how wrong of me to get into it with Bills fans on a night like this. Couple things:

- Weather taking out a team's forces shouldn't be held as a gripe against the opponent, especially when the home team should plan/expect for it at least once a year given where they play.
- Of course there's a ton of different runs, doesn't mean that Buffalo shouldn't have done better knowing that Mac Jones was not throwing the ball.

I don't think Buffalo got embarassed. I do think the Pats were able to eat a lot of the field/clock whether points were being scored. They got more 1st downs than they should have considering the context (only five less than Buffalo considering Buffalo threw the balls 30 times at home). That's all. Y'all are still good. And would have been ecstatic with the roles reversed.

When you get rid of the one long run for a TD, the Pats average run was like 3.3 yards or so which would be close to last in the league.

I don’t know how you expect the Bills to be better against the run when 95 percent of the runs were kept at the lowest tier of the league.

To put it in a boxing context, the first Bills-Pats game was like a boxer having to box with 1 arm.

Even with 1 arm, the Bills were really a coin flip away from winning.

Games 2 and 3 Bills could play with both arms, and the results are what you’d expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad