NFL GDT: 2021 AFC Wild Card Game: (2) Kansas City Chiefs vs (7) Pittsburgh Steelers - KC wins 42-21

KC vs PIT

• Total voters

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
tomlin's playoff record is 8-9

He hasn't done much since their last trip to the Super Bowl;

2011: 29-23 loss to 8-8 Denver. No business losing that game.

2014: 30-17 loss to the Ravens in the wild card game.

2015: barely beat Cincy after they self destruct, lose to a Broncos team with zero offense in divisional round.

2016: Beat a crappy Dolphins team without their starting QB in the wild card game, beat a Chiefs team that couldn't get out of their own way in the divisional, smashed by the Pats in the conference championship

2017: Embarass yourself against the Jags in the divisional round after you couldn't convince your guys to stop focusing on the team they would play next.

2020: Self immolate against the Browns after once again, your guys started to run their mouths.

2021: lose to chiefs.

I'm very much in agreement Tomlin is a good coach. The man has been a coach for 15 seasons and has yet to post of season of under 500 ball. Regardless of team that's god damn impressive specially considering some of the turmoil the Steelers faced roster wise in that stretch.

THAT BEING SAID

I also acknowledge that even the best coaches eventually just...don't work anymore for the teams that they coached. The Steelers have had such a run of mediocrity by their standards I can see why the fans want a change.

I don't recall anyone saying Andy Reid was a shitty coach after his run in Philly was over. Both sides just needed a change.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
He hasn't done much since their last trip to the Super Bowl;

2011: 29-23 loss to 8-8 Denver. No business losing that game.

2014: 30-17 loss to the Ravens in the wild card game.

2015: barely beat Cincy after they self destruct, lose to a Broncos team with zero offense in divisional round.

2016: Beat a crappy Dolphins team without their starting QB in the wild card game, beat a Chiefs team that couldn't get out of their own way in the divisional, smashed by the Pats in the conference championship

2017: Embarass yourself against the Jags in the divisional round after you couldn't convince your guys to stop focusing on the team they would play next.

2020: Self immolate against the Browns after once again, your guys started to run their mouths.

2021: lose to chiefs.

I'm very much in agreement Tomlin is a good coach. The man has been a coach for 15 seasons and has yet to post of season of under 500 ball. Regardless of team that's god damn impressive specially considering some of the turmoil the Steelers faced roster wise in that stretch.

THAT BEING SAID

I also acknowledge that even the best coaches eventually just...don't work anymore for the teams that they coached. The Steelers have had such a run of mediocrity by their standards I can see why the fans want a change.

I don't recall anyone saying Andy Reid was a shitty coach after his run in Philly was over. Both sides just needed a change.
tomlin is a damn good coach. steelers had no business being as good as they were last season and they had absolutely no business being in the playoffs this year

i can understand why steelers fans want him gone, but he deserves to stay on just for the last two seasons alone

Sep 19, 2008
But hey, getting there is the only thing that matters to the suits. They get to pretend that never firing a coach makes them special and not just wildly indifferent to easily predictable failures.
this is what i've been saying...steelers were content just to make the playoffs this year. unaware that missing the playoffs and tarnishing tomlin's streak isn't a bad thing. it's hard to get good draft position when you keep winning. tomlin never had a 6-10 year or 5-11 to get good picks from. all he does is go 8-8 or 9-7 and can't get much from that (although you were able to glean TJ Watt and other sharp picks)

I'm just saying you aren't getting a generational talent like Herbert or Burrow or even Tua if you don't pick top 5 for years :laugh:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
this is what i've been saying...steelers were content just to make the playoffs this year. unaware that missing the playoffs and tarnishing tomlin's streak isn't a bad thing. it's hard to get good draft position when you keep winning. tomlin never had a 6-10 year or 5-11 to get good picks from. all he does is go 8-8 or 9-7 and can't get much from that (although you were able to glean TJ Watt and other sharp picks)

I'm just saying you aren't getting a generational talent like Herbert or Burrow or even Tua if you don't pick top 5 for years :laugh:
Well, no Ben next season. Who is going to be at the top of the 2023 draft?
CJ Stroud of Ohio State? This he will be there with a good season.
Bryce Young of Alabama? He’s not a big guy. Not sure what he is elite in. He’s really probably under 6 feet and is under 200 lbs.

Outside of these 2 what are the other names in college football at QB for the 2023 draft?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I would imagine that Steelers fans must be pretty pissed by that playcalling -- you have a franchise QB going out in his last game, and in a situation where you know it's going to be a loss, you decide to go:
dumpoff, dumpoff, dumpoff, dumpoff, 7 yard pass, dumpoff, dumpoff, dumpoff, dumpoff

Terrific job. You really had 0 trust in a guy who has been there what 15 years? Absolutely disgraceful

there were so many plays where Ben had little to no time to look downfield. Add into that Ben’s arm is shot. He cannot sling it like he used to. I don’t think it’s a lack of trust. He is a QB at the end of his career with nothing but fumes left in the tank.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
there were so many plays where Ben had little to no time to look downfield. Add into that Ben’s arm is shot. He cannot sling it like he used to. I don’t think it’s a lack of trust. He is a QB at the end of his career with nothing but fumes left in the tank.
Yeah after looking at some stuff, mainly from steelers fans who have watched him all year, i think it's probably true that he just can't throw the deep ball very well anymore.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah after looking at some stuff, mainly from steelers fans who have watched him all year, i think it's probably true that he just can't throw the deep ball very well anymore.

His ability to chuck it downfield had been eroding for a while before basically ceasing to be a part of his game entirely. Even when the play-calling wasn't infuriatingly awful and he had an open target downfield the throw would inevitably result in the receiver having to make a pretty significant adjustment to get back to the ball. Maybe he could still get 40-50 yards downfield, but not with the pinpoint accuracy of old and the added airtime meant it ceased being an effective tool.

A smarter team would have re-worked the playbook to work around these limitations. The Steelers did not. Dump offs for days with little to no protection was pretty much the entirety of Canada's playbook. It is a wonder that the Steelers finished with the record they did with the roster they had, but that's not much solace when these were pretty much all easily predictable issues. Ben's arm strength had been falling off for a couple years heading into this season...but it was at Duck Hodges levels pretty much the entire season and the playbook never evolved.

I do have to at least give Ben a tip of the cap for putting up the stats he did this year with all of these limitations and with people like me being nothing but spiteful the entire time. You do have to do a bit of hunting on the stat sheet to see where his game had fallen off so heavily because his traditional stats were still pretty damn decent. Far better than one could expect of a noodle-armed QB without any mobility playing behind a piss poor offensive line, but not good enough to carry a team like he was inexplicably expected to. I could see this version of Ben on a team with a significantly better offensive line being a good game manager, but this Steelers roster didn't have that luxury and it showed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad