NFL GDT: 2021 AFC Divisional Round: (2) Kansas City Chiefs vs (3) Buffalo Bills

KC vs BUF

• Total voters

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
These kind of statements always get a chuckle out of me. Very assertive. Yet couldn't you say the same about the winning team in OT? :huh:

Last time I checked the winning team doesn't cry about the rules being unfair in OT.

Crying about OT rules is like crying about the refs "screwing you"...it's just an excuse instead of admitting you weren't good enough

Sep 19, 2008

giphy.gif

Sep 19, 2008
And their coach not pooch kicking the kickoff with 13 seconds left. That would have wasted at least 3-4 seconds and maybe 6+ seconds. At that point they don't have time for two plays and a field goal.

Just no defense for not doing it.
if they just hold on for 13 seconds they win

but they gave up so much in those 13 seconds

usually that is a WIN :rant:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Last time I checked the winning team doesn't cry about the rules being unfair in OT.

Crying about OT rules is like crying about the refs "screwing you"...it's just an excuse instead of admitting you weren't good enough

I genuinely don't understand. How can rules be fine if they're not fair? And how is it the same as crying about the refs? I don't see that at all.

'I think it sucks that Buffalo doesn't get a chance to touch the ball' does not equal 'They got screwed.'

They didn't. No one is saying they did. Just that the rule sucks. That's why the 'Just win in regulation' quip rings really hollow. The winning team didn't do that either.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I genuinely don't understand. How can rules be fine if they're not fair? And how is it the same as crying about the refs? I don't see that at all.

'I think it sucks that Buffalo doesn't get a chance to touch the ball' does not equal 'They got screwed.'

They didn't. No one is saying they did. Just that the rule sucks. That's why the 'Just win in regulation' quip rings really hollow. The winning team didn't do that either.
They had a chance to get the ball in OT. They couldn't stop the Chiefs

Reactions: kingsholygrail

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Because the point of OT is to determine a winner as quick as possible.

Why does NHL overtime end on a goal instead of finishing the period? It's the same thing
Exactly. The rules are to determine a winner as quick as possible. Playing an extra quarter for every OT game is ridiculous and not feasible over an 18 week season plus playoffs

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Exactly. The rules are to determine a winner as quick as possible. Playing an extra quarter for every OT game is ridiculous and not feasible over an 18 week season plus playoffs
Not to mention if they're tied AGAIN at the end of the extra quarter, do they do another full quarter?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Comparing a posession in Hockey to Football is absurd. If finishing as quick as possible was the point why not let the FG be sufficient?
Because the way the rules are now, it gives the team who loses the coin toss a more even playing field, while still keeping the sudden death aspect of OT.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Because the way the rules are now, it gives the team who loses the coin toss a more even playing field, while still keeping the sudden death aspect of OT.
If the chargers won the toss vs the raiders I don’t think the raiders were going to stop them. Came off a 19 play game tying TD drive to close regulation. To go back out there to start OT, they would likely be toast. That means no pass rush and rhe CBs would be dead tired running with the WR.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
And their coach not pooch kicking the kickoff with 13 seconds left. That would have wasted at least 3-4 seconds and maybe 6+ seconds. At that point they don't have time for two plays and a field goal.

Just no defense for not doing it.
The defense is the Bills opted for the sure thing on the kickoff. A squib kick could kill a few seconds, but it could also take a crazy bounce out of bounds leading to KC possession at the 40, or get returned for huge yardage, or KC could give themselves up by falling on the squib kick losing little or no time with potentially better field position than the 25.

What the Bills needed to do was get one halfway-positive result on D such as an incompletion or a short completion. If that happened, they would have won barring a miracle.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
The defense is the Bills opted for the sure thing on the kickoff. A squib kick could kill a few seconds, but it could also take a crazy bounce out of bounds leading to KC possession at the 40, or get returned for huge yardage, or KC could give themselves up by falling on the squib kick losing little or no time with potentially better field position than the 25.

What the Bills needed to do was get one halfway-positive result on D such as an incompletion or a short completion. If that happened, they would have won barring a miracle.
Agreed. You have the best defense in the league. I'm not taking my chances with something crazy happening on the kickoff. It was 13 effing seconds.

Too much is being made of the decision to kickoff for a touchback

Reactions: keonsbitterness

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. You have the best defense in the league. I'm not taking my chances with something crazy happening on the kickoff. It was 13 effing seconds.

Too much is being made of the decision to kickoff for a touchback
Romo should know better than anyone that there is no gimme when it comes to special teams.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Even if he doesn't squib kick it, he could have kicked off normally with a bit less power behind the kick and kept it in the field of play.

Of course there's risk to everything but keeping that ball in play arguably presented the least risk for the rest of the game.

No excuse allowing them to get downfield the way they did, though. Bills were playing defense like KC had no timeouts and needed a TD with how deep their safeties were. Whoever was calling those plays should be getting grilled by management today.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
KC had 2 main targets.
Hill is the speedster that they either try to give it to him coming across the middle and allow him to use his speed to get upfield.
Or they send him deep with Mahomes arm strength.

Kelce is the big target.

rush 3 and Double those 2 leaving 4 defenders on the other 3 options. I get leaving space on Hill because if you end up behind him you are done.

Kelce, should have pressed on him. Too easy a pass.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You kick it high with the intention it lands within the 10, forces a return but doesn't guarantee they get far past the 20 either and you kill a couple of seconds (which is a lifetime after what we saw)

If you squib its too easy for the returner to just down it, waste no clock, and they end up past the 20.

But your main goal on that kickoff had to be to give Mahomes the least amount of time possible. You have to be aware your D is gassed and that Mahomes was simply playing at another level so stopping him was near impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad