Prospect Info: 2021 2nd Rd Pick (#57 OA) - Matthew Knies (LW) - Tri-City (USHL)

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
:oops::oops:

Beautiful contradictions fuel Matthew Knies' drive for national title, and the Hobey

'A few weeks ago, after a ridiculous no-look, between-the-legs drop pass by Knies had set up Cooley for the eventual game-winner versus Ohio State, Gophers coach Bob Motzko talked about how much Knies has grown in his second season of college hockey and added that he can’t wait to see how much Matthew grows in year three with the Gophers.

It brought a chuckle from some of those in the media scrum, but as the end of season two nears, several people close to Knies, and to the Gophers, have indicated that his timeline to get to the NHL might be more next year than next week, and another season in maroon and gold is not a crazy idea.
'
if it happens it happens, doubt it but 🤷

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Beautiful contradictions fuel Matthew Knies' drive for national title, and the Hobey

'A few weeks ago, after a ridiculous no-look, between-the-legs drop pass by Knies had set up Cooley for the eventual game-winner versus Ohio State, Gophers coach Bob Motzko talked about how much Knies has grown in his second season of college hockey and added that he can’t wait to see how much Matthew grows in year three with the Gophers.

It brought a chuckle from some of those in the media scrum, but as the end of season two nears, several people close to Knies, and to the Gophers, have indicated that his timeline to get to the NHL might be more next year than next week, and another season in maroon and gold is not a crazy idea.
'

they left space at the deadline for him and are literally handicapping the current team to hold that space

it would be a spectacular misread of the situation by management if he were to not sign this year, I don't believe it's a possibility

Reactions: Menzinger

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Exactly, is he not everything we have been saying our first line needs since the departure of Zach Hyman? I just watched Knies' season highlights. This guy DRIVES the net every chance he gets, whatever line he's on is going to have a bunch of tap ins and he himself will generate goals because he isn't afraid to get to the net.
Just something to keep in mind.... Hyman didn't become that player at the NHL level until he was 25/26 years old.

Reactions: aingefan

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Just something to keep in mind.... Hyman didn't become that player at the NHL level until he was 25/26 years old.

Knies is a better prospect than Hyman at an earlier age. Hyman was a late bloomer at every level he played at.

Took him time to figure it out in the OJHL, he scored 15+ points for the first time in the NCAA as a senior where he went from 10 points to 50 points.

Had a good 1 year in the AHL and then adapted his game to survive in the NHL.

I get what you’re saying but Knies is a better prospect than Hyman was. We’ll see who ends up being the better player, but Knies has a lot more raw skill than Hyman did at 20 years old.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

'
how trust worthy is this source?

It is one thing if one of the main TSN/Sportnet guys were reporting this.

Looking into the article it is from Jess Myers (didn't know about him before this). He is from the Minny area and covers NCAA hockey, so might have some inside knowledge.

Would be strange tbh for him to go back. The Minny team will be worse next year with no Cooley, he might have a NCAA championship by end of tonight, he was a Hobey baker finalist this year so don't see why he would want to go back

If he does look to go back you need to move him in the offseason for a 1st rounder in the 9-16th range this year

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Looking into the article it is from Jess Myers (didn't know about him before this). He is from the Minny area and covers NCAA hockey, so might have some inside knowledge.

Would be strange tbh for him to go back. The Minny team will be worse next year with no Cooley, he might have a NCAA championship by end of tonight, he was a Hobey baker finalist this year so don't see why he would want to go back

If he does look to go back you need to move him in the offseason for a 1st rounder in the 9-16th range this year

I don’t think it’s a lock that Cooley and Snuggerud sign NHL deals. The model seems to be two years of college. I could see both back with Minnesota.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don’t think it’s a lock that Cooley and Snuggerud sign NHL deals. The model seems to be two years of college. I could see both back with Minnesota.
Cooley I think will sign, he has a spot on a young coyotes team

If the yotes get Bedard/Fantilli, they have their 1C + 2C for next year. He would be smart to go to the NHL, play with other young players and be able to build his offensive game with little pressure. Yotes have keller + schmaltz as two proven stars who can help them along

Snuggerud might very well go back another year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I would be shocked if that happens. I can’t take a year of people saying Knies won’t sign with the Leafs.

Smells like BS.

if it happens it happens, doubt it but 🤷

they left space at the deadline for him and are literally handicapping the current team to hold that space

it would be a spectacular misread of the situation by management if he were to not sign this year, I don't believe it's a possibility

Oh, I think this is 100% a troll job. I meant to put an :sarcasm: at the end.

Why would he give up NHL pay to stay on an NCAA team that's losing all their top players and is essentially entering a rebuild?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That's funny because the likelihood that Knies does not win a roster spot on the top two lines and gets steady ice time is doubtful. The hype train on this kid has not been enough, I've seen posts where people expect him to slot in 1st line right next to Austin and be a difference-maker, this seems possible. Let's mute our expectations of this kid, for some people Knies can only overachieve because they have such a low opinion of him. If he scores 15 and gets 20 points next year in the NHL that is a replaceable player.

If its so easy for a rookie to play top six with the Leafs. How many rookies have secured a roster spot on the top two lines on the Leafs in the last 5 years?

Your post is a great example of expecting too much from a rookie, perhaps check what the leading rookies are scoring this year. 15 goals , 20 assists is a decent year for a rookie. NHL Leaders - Points by a Rookie | NBCSports

If you mute expectations and he over achieves we are all happy, if you expect Calder production, you really have nowhere but down to go. Why be one of those guys who puts pressure on our first real decent blue chip prospect in 6 years with excessively high expectations?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Cooley I think will sign, he has a spot on a young coyotes team

If the yotes get Bedard/Fantilli, they have their 1C + 2C for next year. He would be smart to go to the NHL, play with other young players and be able to build his offensive game with little pressure. Yotes have keller + schmaltz as two proven stars who can help them along

Snuggerud might very well go back another year.

From what I’ve been reading they are considering keeping him there another year. I don’t think they are in a rush. I don’t think they win the lottery this year. They don’t really need him. You’ve got Schmaltz, McBain, Hayton.

Tank another year get a stud dman with a top 3 pick next year and slowly bring in the young guys to match the start of their first year in Tempe (if that happens)

Reactions: hamzarocks

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I’m not understanding how it’s doubtful? We currently have 1 NHL LW under contract for next season. Sam Lafferty and there’s a possibility he may have to play Center next year. I think the odds of Knies playing in the top 6 next year is pretty high.

I think we’ll be seeing a ton of youth injected into the line up next year. You have to think Robertson will get first crack at one of the spots, but then you have Steeves, Hirovinen, Abruzzese, Holmberg.

I think we are going to see a similar situation to the 2016-2017 Toronto Maple Leafs.

How many rookies have secured a roster spot with the Leafs in the last 5 years on the top two lines?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
How many rookies have secured a roster spot with the Leafs in the last 5 years on the top two lines?

What does that have to do with Matthew Knies? What is your point? Is every rookie/prospect the same?

The leafs have been pretty good at giving rookies extended looks at top six spots. Bunting got one, Mikheyev got a look, (Yes Bunting and Mikheyev played pro but we’re still NHL rookies technically) Robertson got a look.

Also the situation/circumstance is completely different. In the last 5 years we’ve had a complete log jam at LW. The last two we have not. We legit don’t have a natural LW with tons of NHL experience, under contract for next season outside of Lafferty. So it’s highly likely one of Robertson/Knies/Steeves is going to win that job.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I mean Bunting was essentially a rookie last season, although older than average.

I have moderate expectations for Knies in the short term (and high in the longer term), but I don't think it's necessarily out of the question he ends up there, especially next season. They could play him in a more sheltered role on the 2nd line with a lot of offensive zone starts

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mean Bunting was essentially a rookie last season, although older than average.

I have moderate expectations for Knies in the short term (and high in the longer term), but I don't think it's necessarily out of the question he ends up there, especially next season. They should play him in a more sheltered role on the 2nd line with a lot of offensive zone starts

Leafs don't even have set lines with veterans, so asking if a rookie is going to be set on one of the top two lines is disingenous.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I have moderate expectations for Knies in the short term (and high in the longer term), but I don't think it's necessarily out of the question he ends up there, especially next season. They should play him in a more sheltered role on the 2nd line with a lot of offensive zone starts

I can see Knies going to the AHL and Robertson starting as the 2LW, Knies getting the call up later in the year. I don’t think Knies’ development will be linear. The good thing is we have options. He can go down and be a first liner in the AHL, you can try him in the NHL top 6, you can try him in the NHL bottom 6.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Knies will be 21 this upcoming season.
He's also physically mature.
He isn't trying out for the team after just being drafted.
He's played against men.
Leafs gave 21 year old smurf Robertson time on the top 2 lines.

If you haven't been watching the Leafs you might not know Leafs aren't stuck with who goes where and when. They don't have an age restriction for their tryouts.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Knies is a better prospect than Hyman at an earlier age. Hyman was a late bloomer at every level he played at.

Took him time to figure it out in the OJHL, he scored 15+ points for the first time in the NCAA as a senior where he went from 10 points to 50 points.

Had a good 1 year in the AHL and then adapted his game to survive in the NHL.

I get what you’re saying but Knies is a better prospect than Hyman was. We’ll see who ends up being the better player, but Knies has a lot more raw skill than Hyman did at 20 years old.

Hyman needed man weight to be effective with his game, at the time we traded for him he was 190, probably in the 180s at his draft year. Knies is literally 40 pounds heavier with a better offensive tool set than current Hyman. I’m sure it’ll take him a while to learn how to leverage his size consistently at the level Hyman does it today that lets him score like he does, but their physical NHL readiness at 21 isn’t particularly close.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hyman needed man weight to be effective with his game, at the time we traded for him he was 190, probably in the 180s at his draft year. Knies is literally 40 pounds heavier with a better offensive tool set than current Hyman. I’m sure it’ll take him a while to learn how to leverage his size consistently at the level Hyman does it today that lets him score like he does, but their physical NHL readiness at 21 isn’t particularly close.

you hit the nail on the head, that's why I'm also confused as to why there is hesitation from people on this board about Knies. He isn't just some offensive guy. He's got an NHL ready body, he plays hard, all you have to do is go watch his shifts. Constantly looking to drive the net. I think the only thing he may have to change about his game is that he will not be able to dangle and undress defenders like he did all season in the Big 10. So he'll have to adjust his game to get by defenders. That's about it. Everything else you gotta like about his game. Plays the game the way we have been begging our current roster players to play.

Reactions: Menzinger

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Even in his first couple years, Hyman was not particularly strong out there. He fell down a lot of shifts and although he engaged in a lot of puck battles, he didn't win a lot of them.

After about 2-3 years in the league he really came into his own physically and started becoming the player he is today.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Even in his first couple years, Hyman was not particularly strong out there. He fell down a lot of shifts and although he engaged in a lot of puck battles, he didn't win a lot of them.

After about 2-3 years in the league he really came into his own physically and started becoming the player he is today.

It’s like people forgot the years of Hyman’s go-to play being first on the puck and falling down on it until one of Matthews/Marner/Nylander picked it out of the scrum. Rookie year Hyman and even Brown were still effective on the boards and in front of the net despite being much smaller and having worse hands/shot. I don’t think a year or two of AHL seasoning is enough to bridge the physical gap.

If he end up on the third line no one should be upset.

Knies-Kerfoot-Nylander

All he has to to is replace Galchenyuk

That’s the thing, people assume Knies in the middle 6 must mean we’re expecting him to be prime Kreider day 1 when really he just has to be more effective in the corners and in front of the net than Bunting and Kerfoot. I’ll trade a rookie gaffe or two for someone that can hit an empty net better than Kerfoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad