Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumours and FA Part I: Release the Hounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I posted this in the Girard trade board thread and am curious to see what posters here think about the idea. Pierce was the one who first suggested it btw.

Just skimmed through the whole thread and the only idea that really piqued any kind of intrigue is Lundell.

He'd already be a perfect fit as 3C in the short term, and would going forwards then be a good compliment to MacKinnon and Newhook in the top 9 C spots.

Contract wise Lundell is on an ELC and team-controlled for a few more years, which balances the value of Girard's great 5+ year contract (unlike most other offers which are lopsided in terms of the term/contract value on either side of the proposals).

From Florida's perspective they lack a top pairing LHD, and stylistically Girard would be a great fit next to either Ekblad or Weegar. Despite losing Lundell they'd still have Barkov and Bennett in the top 6 C positions. Not sure who would replace Lundell at 3C but maybe the deal could be expanded to include Jost as well to give Florida a replacement bottom 6 C. Worth noting that there were strong rumours involving Jost and Weegar in the 2020 off-season, but Sakic moved for Devon Toews instead a couple of days later.

To Florida: Girard + Jost
To Colorado: Lundell+ (not sure what + would be, but something reasonably significant)
Edit: on closer inspection the cap would need to be balanced to make it work for Florida, so maybe a bottom pairing RHD would have to come the other way (eg. Gudas/Nutivaara/Montour) along with a forward with a decent caphit. Hornqvist would be the obvious piece capwise but the extra year at $5.3m isn't ideal (and Florida would need to add futures). AVS would have $8.4m in capspace after just a Lundell for Girard+ Jost swap, so there would be plenty of flexibility.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Everyone talks about that trade partnership from and isles perspective, from ours they don’t have shit at forward worth trading lil Sammy for short of Barzal, which isn’t happening.
Could be a possible 3 way trade. Girard to NYI, 2C to Colorado from a third team, and the third team gets assets they like from NYI.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Everyone talks about that trade partnership from and isles perspective, from ours they don’t have shit at forward worth trading lil Sammy for short of Barzal, which isn’t happening.

Guys like Whalstrom/Beauvillier are enticing. I can see a fit in the off-season, if Colorado wants to move a defenceman.

I’d like the Avs to keep their defence intact this season though. Especially now that Byram is dealing with a concussion. You never know if those symptoms will come back later in the season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wasn't Beauvillier linked to the Avs in the past? It's going to take a lot more than that though.

Also, can't trade Girard anymore due to Byram's situation so case closed for now.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I'm torn. If Newhook can be that 3rd line scoring center who can drive a line I actually like our lines. We might not need to trade Girard for forward help.

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Kadri - Burakovsky
JTC - Newhook - LOC
Helm - Jost - NAK

The difference is our top 4 D is actually capable of taking over games.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
JJ - EJ
Murray

That top 4 is a difference maker.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Girard should definitely not be traded unless the Avs get an equally valuable long-term #2C. If that's not available its better to just keep the awesome top 4D together.

Reactions: Ararana

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My favorite package from the Isles would be Pageau + Wahlstrom + NYI 1st.

That said, even that doesn't really solve our 2C issue but it would solve the 3C issue and really improve the forward depth.

Plus Pageau would be a strong enough 3C that he could play 2C if needed and maybe it gives you one more year to evaluate Newhook and determine whether he can be the 2C or not sort of thing.

But I still don't really love that trade idea. It's not a long term 2C solution and thus it's not a great fit.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think I want a winger/centre hybrid more than a pure centre. A JT Miller type. Naz (at least as of right now) is back to the high end 2C type he was before last season. If we can add a high end top 6 winger who can simply fill in at C in case of injury I think that versatility fits the team better. Not that these guys are available but JT Miller, Elias Lindholm and Bill Nylander are great examples.

Speaking of JT Miller, Marek was talking about the Nucks last night and said the owner of the team is traveling with the team on this road trip. If the Vegas/Anaheim games go poorly expect changes in Van. The Vegas game did indeed go poorly. I expect a coaching change more than anything but if they decide to try to change things up I’m all over Miller. Vancouver we’re obsessed with Newhook in his draft season.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I'm torn. If Newhook can be that 3rd line scoring center who can drive a line I actually like our lines. We might not need to trade Girard for forward help.

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Kadri - Burakovsky
JTC - Newhook - LOC
Helm - Jost - NAK

The difference is our top 4 D is actually capable of taking over games.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
JJ - EJ
Murray

That top 4 is a difference maker.

My only issue is having Nuke on the second line. I think he is fine there in spurts, but I just don't believe in him as a second liner.

Maybe if they can find a true second line talent for a second tier prospect and push Nuke back down to the third line, I would be happier about it.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Apparently they want RHD prospects. Would have to be Barron + Compher unless there’s retention.

Maybe something like:

To Col: Miller (35% retained)

To Van: Barron, Compher, and Foudy

I do really like the idea of getting Miller because of his versatility and the fact that he’s got another year on his contract. He’s having a great season though, maybe he’ll cost more than I think.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Maybe something like:

To Col: Miller (35% retained)

To Van: Barron, Compher, and Foudy

I do really like the idea of getting Miller because of his versatility and the fact that he’s got another year on his contract. He’s having a great season though, maybe he’ll cost more than I think.

I don’t think that’s close. Vancouver paid a 1st + 3rd when he was a .6 PPG player. His value has definitely gone up since that trade.

If we want him this year w/ retention, it would cost Newhook+1st, potentially more.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I don’t think that’s close. Vancouver paid a 1st + 3rd when he was a .6 PPG player. His value has definitely gone up since that trade.

If we want him this year, it would cost Newhook+.

You’re right. I essentially already offered that and it was rejected. They want Girard level plus.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don’t think that’s close. Vancouver paid a 1st + 3rd when he was a .6 PPG player. His value has definitely gone up since that trade
He was under contract for a long time though, huge difference.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

If we want him this year w/ retention, it would cost Newhook+1st, potentially more.

He was also 26 with 4 years left on his contract at the time.

But, yeah, I could totally see Vancouver demanding Newhook. I think Barron is a real attractive piece for D needy teams though.

Vancouver is going to have to be well out of it to become sellers though. Or they’ll have to fire their GM to chart a new course. Benning went all-in this off-season. If he starts selling off, it’s most definitely for the next GM.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He was under contract for a long time though, huge difference.

Miller was also a 2nd/3rd line tweener when he was traded, rather than a top line forward that can play all 3 positions. Contract makes a difference, but his value has still gone up significantly since the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad