Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part VII: Joe is sleepy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Sakic is actually gonna waste Mac/Makar in their prime together isn’t he…

I don’t think they need to completely gut the bottom six. Just need to add a couple of guys who push others down the lineup. For example, there’s no reason any of those guys should be playing third line right now. Add a Giroux and another third liner and the Avs are set. Plan remains the same.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Avs are 22-2-1 in 2022. In that time, here is the production from their bottom six group:

NAK - 27GP 9P
JTC - 28GP 7P
LOC - 28GP 7P
Jost 27GP - 5P
Helm 16GP - 1P

Brutal…
I mean NAK, JTC, and LOC are producing at a 4th line level. But obviously the issue is that LOC, JTC, and NAK have all spent pretty significant time on the 3rd line.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I mean NAK, JTC, and LOC are producing at a 4th line level. But obviously the issue is that LOC, JTC, and NAK have all spent pretty significant time on the 3rd line.

I think it’s more that even if they’re not scoring, they aren’t bringing anything else to the table. Not physical, can’t Pk well, cant win FO’s, can’t drive possession, etc. Just a bunch of black holes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Agree to disagree.

So you honestly think the Avs honestly need a 2nd line winger, an entire 3rd line, and an entire 4th line?

So what, you think:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
???? - Kadri - Burakovksy

That's it, that's all we have? So you think Nuke is useless, you think Newhook is useless, you think LOC is useless? You think NAK is useless?

Nah man, that is just a straight up dumb take.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
So you honestly think the Avs honestly need a 2nd line winger, an entire 3rd line, and an entire 4th line?

So what, you think:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
???? - Kadri - Burakovksy

That's it, that's all we have? So you think Nuke is useless, you think Newhook is useless, you think LOC is useless? You think NAK is useless?

Nah man, that is just a straight up dumb take.

We need whatever pushes a guy or two down to the bottom 6. Our bottom 6 doesn’t score and they are not hard to play against, at all.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We need whatever pushes a guy or two down to the bottom 6. Our bottom 6 doesn’t score and they are not hard to play against, at all.

I dont disagree that they need 1, possibly 2 guys.

But he literally said they need an entire 3rd line, an entire 4th line, and a Top 6 forward. That's just a bullshit take and I'm sure he knows it.

IMO You get Giroux and you get Clutterbuck, the depth is ready to go.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

But he literally said they need an entire 3rd line, an entire 4th line, and a Top 6 forward. That's just a bullshit take and I'm sure he knows it.

I don’t think Clutterbuck does anything to fix the scoring issue in the bottom six. Who gets bumped out? Need to aim higher than that imo.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Also, the Avs are sitting at nearly $4M in deadline cap space according to cap friendly right now.

If that's the case, they really shouldn't have much difficult salary wise adding a couple of guys to the team and probably wont even have to send salary out.

For example they could add Giroux @50%, Clutterbuck @50%, and only need to send out Jost or Ryan Murray to still fit under the cap in such a move.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don’t think Clutterbuck does anything to fix the scoring issue in the bottom six. Who gets bumped out? Need to aim higher than that imo.

There's no scoring issues in the bottom 6.

They are producing like bottom 6 forwards produce.

Quite frankly I dont even care if my bottom 6 is producing or not. Clutterbuck brings a strong defensive game and a physical element that the bottom 6 doesn't have, and a lot of quality playoff experience. That's more then enough for me.

Tbh I think he'd be more productive here anyways over Jost, and Helm at least. Not that it matters.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

Yeah agreed that’s a bit dramatic to say the least hahaha.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
When this team needs a spark, Clutterbuck seems like a guy that can provide that spark with a big hit.

Can't say the same about anyone currently in the bottom six.

Yeah I think a guy like Clutterbuck would help add that different element to our bottom 6.

I really dont think production from the bottom 6 is a big issue. They're pretty much all pacing like you'd expect bottom 6ers would. Most 4th line guys are lucky to hit 20 points in a season. 3rd liners are usually in the 25-35 range. That's pretty much where our guys are.

The issue with out bottom 6 is that a lot of them dont bring much else to the table when they aren't producing points.

None of them will throw a big hit, none of them are shut down defensive forwards. None of them are big fighters. JTC is capable of being a pest when he wants to be but that part of his game hasn't been nearly as prominent the last couple of years. LOC is a pretty great forechecker when he's on his game, and he can be a major threat on the PK and IMO I think we'll see that LOC return the closer we get to the playoffs. Newhook is a definite offensive threat from the 3rd line at least. But Jost doesn't bring anything to the table at all. NAK doesn't bring much to the table either, but his production is also still pretty good, if you're getting 30 point pace from a guy playing about 10 minutes a night, that is quite alright.

If you add Clutterbuck, you're adding someone who can chip in that similar 15-20 points you'd expect from a 4th liner, but you're also adding a guy who can change the dynamic or tone of a game with one massive hit. On top of being solid defensively and a pretty relentless forechecker(Well he used to be, I think he's slowed down a bit in this regard.

And, if you add Giroux on top of that and you move Nichushkin down, you just put the best defensive forward on the team and an absolute monster on the puck into the bottom 6.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
How much longer is Joe going to allow the bottom 6 of this team be complete anchors?

Probably less then 3 weeks....

I mean the team has lost 3 times in regulation since the calendar year began. Clearly its not much of an anchor.

It needs a little work, but that's exactly what the trade deadline is for.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
There's no scoring issues in the bottom 6.

They are producing like bottom 6 forwards produce.

You sure about that? Let’s contrast it with Florida’s bottom-six in 2022.

Reinhart - 20GP 26P
Lundell - 23GP 20P
Hornqvist - 14GP 8P
Vatrano 14GP 5P
Luostarinen - 22GP 4P
Lomberg - 18GP 4P

But sure…

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
How long has Joe been the GM for? About that long at the very least. I am actually hopeful that Sakic sees how effective Tampa’s bottom-6 were and how they supported the skill players.

They lost their entire 3rd line (likely the best in the league), and I think I'd rather have their bottom 6 now (outside of Newhook). Perry and PEB have played very well this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad