Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part VII: Joe is sleepy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
In all fairness to the Giroux thing going quiet, haven’t all our big trades been rumors that went quiet for a while or were not mentioned at all?

I remember the Duchene deal sounding like it was done, then it sounded like it fell through. Toews I don’t remember hearing anything about leading up. Kuemper we were rumored for months and it was only when the Edmonton rumors heated up that we pulled the trigger.

I could be misremembering, but despite no updates I’m still confident on the Giroux front.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In all fairness to the Giroux thing going quiet, haven’t all our big trades been rumors that went quiet for a while or were not mentioned at all?

I remember the Duchene deal sounding like it was done, then it sounded like it fell through. Toews I don’t remember hearing anything about leading up. Kuemper we were rumored for months and it was only when the Edmonton rumors heated up that we pulled the trigger.

I could be misremembering, but despite no updates I’m still confident on the Giroux front.
The theory going around is a deal could be done and they’re waiting for Giroux to hit 1000 games in Philly.

Could also be done and they need to wait for cap purposes.

Or could be nothing. :laugh:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Continue here

The latest:

- All Giroux talk has gone quite (not just for the Avs)

- Sakic and Avs scouting the Isles a bunch (Clutterbuck?)

- Apparently a random speculation of a Jost and Chiarot swap

I've got a feeling the trade has already been agreed to and they are waiting until closer the deadline. Giroux gets to play his game 1,000 and the Avs get more cap space as the deadline nears.

Mid-March both Giroux and Byram join the Avs. Just a feeling, but I'm running with it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Tyson Barrie was kinda like that too. Joe told the media he had no idea where that rumor was coming from and then a week later Barrie got traded haha.

Reactions: shadow1

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yea, that's what it kind of seems like, basically no point trying to push a deal through until he gets his 1000th with the Flyers.
17th vs Nashville and it's the first of a back-to-back where they go to Ottawa then they play the Isles on the 20th at home the day before the deadline.

I think Giroux is the lynchpin where the buyers will hold their ammunition for him and once he goes everyone will move on to their plan Bs.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
@Cousin Eddie regarding your Beauvillier suggestion, how would you see that trade looking?

NYI desperately need a LHD puckmover so presumably they'd love Girard.

Not saying I would necessarily do this but just thinking of what a framework would look like, with the giant caveat that this assumes that Byram is fully healthy:

Beauvillier + Mayfield + Clutterbuck for Girard + Jost

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nichuskin -- Kadri -- Burakovsky
Beauvillier -- Newhook -- O'Connor
Clutterbuck - Maltsev - Compher/NAK

Toews -- Makar
Byram -- Mayfield
JJ/Murray - EJ

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
We ain't trading G going into the playoffs. Offseason maybe. Not at the deadline.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
@Cousin Eddie regarding your Beauvillier suggestion, how would you see that trade looking?

Not saying I would necessarily do this but just thinking of what a framework would look like, with the giant caveat that this assumes that Byram is fully healthy:

Toews -- Makar
Byram -- Mayfield
JJ/Murray - EJ
Beauvillier's PPG for his career is 0.46, Girard's is 0.44.

I'm not Girard's biggest supporter, but Beauvillier is not the guy I target if G is being moved.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Yeah I can’t see us moving Girard when we’re still uncertain about Byram. Sure he’s skating, which is great, but to ship him out (even if Mayfield is coming back) is a bad idea right now.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If you trade G without securing the 2C spot with a young, high end 2C... you're making the team worse now and into the future.

Slightly off topic but I'm starting to think Colorado is going to go with MacKinnon-Rantanen-Newhook down the middle next year.

Rantanen has been great there and it seems like it's going to be difficult (financially) to come remotely close to replacing Kadri.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Slightly off topic but I'm starting to think Colorado is going to go with MacKinnon-Rantanen-Newhook down the middle next year.

Rantanen has been great there and it seems like it's going to be difficult (financially) to come remotely close to replacing Kadri.

I'd certainly support them moving Rants to center full time if they fail at securing the spot. Bednar hasn't shown much of a desire to split Rants and Mack though.

Reactions: shadow1

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

Toews -- Makar
Byram -- Mayfield
JJ/Murray - EJ

I don't get the Beauvillier hype. He has been in the league for 6 years. Is getting 4 mil a year and has had a season high of 39 points. Keep him out of the deal.

A Girard / Mayfield swap works for both teams and assuming Byram is healthy balances out our top 4 nicely.

The Isles would have to add something because G is under contract for 5 more years at 5m while Mayfield only has 1 more year left at $1.45m.

Casey Cizikas and his 2.5m salary for 5 more years is manageable. He is a solid bottom 6 center and would be a massive upgrade to Jost in intangibles. And pending UFA Cal Clutterbuck fits too.

Scott Mayfield, Casey Cizikas, Cal Clutterbuck and LD prospect Samuel Bolduc for Sam Girard, Tyson Jost and a 3rd seems to work and still leaves us assets to trade for a top 6 wing if we want.

Landeskog- Mackinnon- Rantanen
Nichushkin- Kadri- Burakovsky
O'Connor- Newhook- Compher
MacDermid- Cizikas- Clutterbuck

Toews - Makar
Byram - Mayfield
Murray - EJ
JJ

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Even if they don't get him via trade, I'm all for the Avalanche offering up to 3x$7M for Giroux as a free agent and getting a more traditional 3rd line center like Nick Paul. Cupp would be my back up option for Giroux.

Reactions: AvsGuy and shadow1

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd certainly support them moving Rants to center full time if they fail at securing the spot. Bednar hasn't shown much of a desire to split Rants and Mack though.

However a young top line winger would probably be easier to secure I'd imagine. Or give Newhook a chance up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad