Speculation: 2021-22 Roster Speculation and Discussion

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The nice thing is we don't even have the cap space this year to acquire Petry without unloading over $6 million worth of salary. That makes it a little tougher if Dallas is looking to thread the needle of trading Klingberg but staying competitive with a Petry addition.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Unfortunately, it would actually be rather simple to fit Petry under the cap this year.

The scenario that makes the most sense is Khudobin gets traded to Montreal as part of the deal with the plan that the Habs are simply going to buy him out. Dallas may or may not retain in the separate Klingberg deal, which since we're talking about a hypothetical that Nill is knowingly threading the needle and not selling Pavelski/Rads/etc. let's say he doesn't and a 3rd team eats half his salary. Dallas now has $7,583,333 in salary going out. Say they retain ... that's $5.458,333. Dallas' extra forward right now going back to the AHL covers the rest.

The even easier solution ... teams have guys eligible for LTIR that aren't even using it right now. Kesler could be acquired for future considerations and make Dallas' cap issues disappear.

Unfortunately, it's rare that there's not an easy workaround. In this case, there are two very plausible workarounds. I still think there's a shot everything is sorted in a few weeks after the road schedule starts. It's possible that doesn't happen, but I also don't think there's strong evidence the team is about to do a 180 either.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Edmonton wins in regulation. Dallas, already 10th in points percentage, falls to 10th in points, and EDM has a game in hand.

Reactions: Hull Fan

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Unfortunately, it would actually be rather simple to fit Petry under the cap this year.

The scenario that makes the most sense is Khudobin gets traded to Montreal as part of the deal with the plan that the Habs are simply going to buy him out. Dallas may or may not retain in the separate Klingberg deal, which since we're talking about a hypothetical that Nill is knowingly threading the needle and not selling Pavelski/Rads/etc. let's say he doesn't and a 3rd team eats half his salary. Dallas now has $7,583,333 in salary going out. Say they retain ... that's $5.458,333. Dallas' extra forward right now going back to the AHL covers the rest.

The even easier solution ... teams have guys eligible for LTIR that aren't even using it right now. Kesler could be acquired for future considerations and make Dallas' cap issues disappear.

Unfortunately, it's rare that there's not an easy workaround. In this case, there are two very plausible workarounds. I still think there's a shot everything is sorted in a few weeks after the road schedule starts. It's possible that doesn't happen, but I also don't think there's strong evidence the team is about to do a 180 either.

Getting out from under Khudobin would certainly be a plus. If Dallas was going to move out the $6.25 million I'd like Faksa to move on, but I'm sure Dallas wants him for a hypothetical playoff run.

I'd be a little skeptical that Dallas would be willing to give up the space for a 23rd roster player the rest of the regular season. If the Habs are willing to be the third team that retains on Klingberg that could have value to Dallas, don't think Montreal has used any of their retention slots yet. But that might be too far in the realm of video game transactions.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Getting out from under Khudobin would certainly be a plus. If Dallas was going to move out the $6.25 million I'd like Faksa to move on, but I'm sure Dallas wants him for a hypothetical playoff run.

I'd be a little skeptical that Dallas would be willing to give up the space for a 23rd roster player the rest of the regular season. If the Habs are willing to be the third team that retains on Klingberg that could have value to Dallas, don't think Montreal has used any of their retention slots yet. But that might be too far in the realm of video game transactions.

I definitely would prefer Faksa, but since we were taking the view in this hypothetical that Nill is doing this for the playoffs rather than simply a Klingberg replacement, he didn't make sense to include in that situation (from Nill's POV IMO).

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
LA just won and finished their road trip 4-0-2 going into the break. I still think they're not going to factor into the conversation for the Wild Card. I think they're in the Top 3 with Calgary by the end of the season.

Still, it's helpful for the teams in front of and close to Dallas to win.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
LA just won and finished their road trip 4-0-2 going into the break. I still think they're not going to factor into the conversation for the Wild Card. I think they're in the Top 3 with Calgary by the end of the season.

Still, it's helpful for the teams in front of and close to Dallas to win.
Delete

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Hey stars fans... coming in peace.... it seems you guys might be going thru a transition period soon if you fall out of the playoff hunt.....
All of radulov, Pavelski, and klingberg could be gone by the TDL....
Any chance you guys would trade Hintz???
I could see NYR paying a lot for him as a 2C replacement for Strome long term....
Nyr have some very good pieces I think the stars would like...

Lundkvist would be a promising young replacement for klingberg, obviously our 1st and other pieces would be going your way as well...
Lundkvist is going to have a hard time with Fox/Trouba getting all NYR top 4 min+ PP time, and Schneider has seemed to settle in and stabilize the 3rd D pair..... nils isn’t going to be an AHL player for the next 2 seasons.... he’s going to need a team to give him some top 4 min and PP time so he can use all the tools in his arsenal.. he’s got a laser beam of a shot, is a RD..
Maybe this would be better as an offseason or at the Draft trade???
Hintz is young, has played well in the playoffs, and though he’s due a raise, it shouldn’t be astronomical....
Stars also have some really interesting center prospects in guys like Johnson/Damiani/Dellandrea etc.....

I’m wondering if there’s a potential trade to be made between. Both clubs.. what are Dallas’s main needs if they decide to trade Hintz???
Thanks for the input....

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Hey stars fans... coming in peace.... it seems you guys might be going thru a transition period soon if you fall out of the playoff hunt.....
I could see NYR paying a lot for him as a 2C replacement for Strome long term....

Lundkvist would be a promising young replacement for klingberg, obviously our 1st and other pieces would be going your way as well...
Lundkvist is going to have a hard time with Fox/Trouba getting all NYR top 4 min+ PP time, and Schneider has seemed to settle in and stabilize the 3rd D pair..... nils isn’t going to be an AHL player for the next 2 seasons....
Hintz is young, has played well in the playoffs, and though he’s due a raise, it shouldn’t be astronomical....
Stars also have some really interesting center prospects in guys like Johnson/Damiani/Dellandrea etc.....
The price for hintz would be insane .

Reactions: Johno

Rory

Jun 14, 2017

Lundkvist is going to have a hard time with Fox/Trouba getting all NYR top 4 min+ PP time, and Schneider has seemed to settle in and stabilize the 3rd D pair..... nils isn’t going to be an AHL player for the next 2 seasons.... he’s going to need a team to give him some top 4 min and PP time so he can use all the tools in his arsenal.. he’s got a laser beam of a shot, is a RD..

I’m wondering if there’s a potential trade to be made between. Both clubs.. what are Dallas’s main needs if they decide to trade Hintz???
Thanks for the input....
Anyone can be traded. That being said you won’t like the ask. It’s more than just your top prospects. Hintz is vital to Dallas and at the right age for Dallas to build around.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

Thanks for the input....
I say this with all due respect...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:popcorn:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Hintz is just as untouchable as Miro and Robertson.

Ask yourself what you would want for Zibanejad and that's what the Stars would ask for Hintz.

35 goals and 80 points in his last 82 games with a dinosaur who tries to coach offense out of his team. He's going nowhere.

I figure the ask would be high.

maybe a 1 for 1 Lundkvist for a center prospect if the rangers are high on them???
I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to giving up 3-4 quality pieces for Hintz, cause I think he would fit.
Something like Kakko+Lundkvist base of a deal, but the way you guys seem, there’s no logical solution where he becomes available

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I figure the ask would be high.

maybe a 1 for 1 Lundkvist for a center prospect if the rangers are high on them???
I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to giving up 3-4 quality pieces for Hintz, cause I think he would fit.
Something like Kakko+Lundkvist base of a deal, but the way you guys seem, there’s no logical solution where he becomes available
Depends on the pieces. I know it’s early but Laf and Kakko are trending towards the bust side. I would hope for a Hughes level improvement by now from Kakko. Laf should be producing more as well.

the issue is who replaces Hintz for Dallas? Dallas has one of the best lines in the NHL and Hintz centers that.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Depends on the pieces. I know it’s early but Laf and Kakko are trending towards the bust side. I would hope for a Hughes level improvement by now from Kakko. Laf should be producing more as well.

the issue is who replaces Hintz for Dallas? Dallas has one of the best lines in the NHL and Hintz centers that.

kakko and LaF have nothing been better. Kakko certainly before his upper body/shoulder injury. Both are still very young...
I figure 2C replacement would come from internally as the trade would fill 2-3 other holes in the line up...
I’m sure they feel Hintz is prob more of the solution then the problem, but everything is about timing....

sometimes guys are a victim of the team being ready, and then quite not yet.
I figure the rangers move on from chytil this season, but at only 22, it wouldn’t surprise me if he puts it altogether somewhere when he’s 24-25.
But NYR isn’t going to waste 2-3 years of Zibby/panarin/kreider/shesty etc to find out...
It’s basically put up or move on time...

Last edited:

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I don’t think we’d trade Hintz when we’re about to bring in Laine to play on his wing tbh
Now here is someone who is on to something. Let’s get Hintz another Fin to play with. Laine would be amazing.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
kakko and LaF have nothing been better. Kakko certainly before his upper body/shoulder injury. Both are still very young...
I figure 2C replacement would come from internally as the trade would fill 2-3 other holes in the line up...
I’m sure they feel Hintz is prob more of the solution then the problem, but everything is about timing....
I honestly don’t think kakko + laf does it unless dallas wants to go full rebuild and tank for Mitchkov/bedard.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Asking for our number 1 center to upgrade your number 2 center position? Seems like a classic example of more valuable to us then he is to you.

What would is cost? A metric **** ton, not worth asking.
Seguin has fell off that hard already???
I know injuries have had his # lately, but I didn’t think Hintz was Dallas runaway 1C...

if that’s the case, they’re better off going after Scheifle/PLD if that situation goes bad. They are prob closer to a full rebuild then Dallas.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Seguin has fell off that hard already???
I know injuries have had his # lately, but I didn’t think Hintz was Dallas runaway 1C...

if that’s the case, they’re better off going after Scheifle/PLD if that situation goes bad. They are prob closer to a full rebuild then Dallas.
This is season three of Hintz being the team's #1 center.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Hintz is just as untouchable as Miro and Robertson.

Ask yourself what you would want for Zibanejad and that's what the Stars would ask for Hintz.

35 goals and 80 points in his last 82 games with a dinosaur who tries to coach offense out of his team. He's going nowhere.

It’s more like what would he want for Zibby if he was as good as he is and 5 years younger. Yeah that price is Hiiiiiiigh. NYR doesn’t have the pieces to get it done.

Like Fox +Laf but that would shit all over Dallas’ center options.

edit:spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: Elysian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad