Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospect Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I haven't seen that, do you have a link?

Whatever the case, actions speak louder than words, and as yet we still haven't seen Bowers get so much as one game in the NHL, while prospects like Ranta and Kaut have received numerous opportunities.
No I don't have a link. It is something I read here on this board IIRC.

You are probably right with your second comment however I could argue that Bowers hasn't got an NHL game yet because he has been hurt so much. Time is running out though on him.

Reactions: Richard88

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I was told this is wrong and the real truth was PP1. @Alienblood
You were told that by me ?
It seems his icetime and the lines are being juggled. I'd expect him to be on pp1 consistently when the playoffs arive.

Edit: i have no idea about OO. I'm following him through people here and stat checking.

I will say I agree with the assessment on him by you and others. I'd be ok with trading him for the right deal.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Avs had some strategy heading into the draft for the top two rounds. They probably knew based upon scouts talking around with scouts of other teams the feeling that there was a good chance Olausson was going to be around their pick. Likewise with Behrens in the second round, so they took the chance with Olausson in the first. They gambled much more with Behrens making his way to their pick, but sometimes you win some (like with Sean) and sometimes you lose some (like Alexandrov at Stienburg's selection). E: I should say that Behrens is far from a perfect player and he showed some mistake-prone elements at the U18's in Texas, but Avs obviously saw something in his game that they do like.

You don't have a guess about what the Avs saw in him?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Of course they like Olaufsson as well, I just think if Sakic had to trade one and keep one he would choose Behrens after how the season has unfolded. Like I said could be wrong on that though, I think other teams scouts might also like Behrens more which could be the difference in getting a deal done so maybe he gets moved instead. OO did go first but for all we know OO and Behrens could have been separated by 3 picks on the Avs board, and Behrens has been turning some heads in the scouting community this season.

I would peg Behrens value as a late first and OO as an early second rounder. Barron I would have as a really early second rounder as well.

The Avs have more depth at D in their prospect pool. OO has high end skating and an elite shot, which almost precisely describes one of our 2nd line wings. If anything, OO might be closer to a 2nd liner than a 2nd rounder.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You don't have a guess about what the Avs saw in him?
Oh yeah I do like him, he's one of those prototypical modern-day offensive-defenceman who is mobile, has good offensive instincts, and is deadly on the PP (where majority of his points are coming from). He has some issues like below-average frame (less concerning for me), isn't very good in the defensive zone, and his puck decisions at times lead to turnovers (which I think he can clean up on). I do think he would've been a 1st rounder if he was taller, but I do think he's a bit more rawer than just height. I want to see him be better with the puck under higher pressure plays like when JT Miller is forechequing you, but offensively he's showing that he's ready to QB a powerplay in the AHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You were told that by me ?
It seems his icetime and the lines are being juggled. I'd expect him to be on pp1 consistently when the playoffs arive.

Edit: i have no idea about OO. I'm following him through people here and stat checking.

I will say I agree with the assessment on him by you and others. I'd be ok with trading him for the right deal.
I'm poking the bear on your statement in the OO thread about the 'actual truth.' Your words, not mine and they were insinuating that I was wrong or worse lying.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I'm poking the bear on your statement in the OO thread about the 'actual truth.' Your words, not mine and they were insinuating that I was wrong or worse lying.
Nah I was just responding to the poster who follows the team close about the varying opinions in general.

My bad

Reactions: henchman21

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Bowers has like 5 points in 17 games in his third season in the AHL…..don’t see him cracking the Avs unless his defensive play is on par w/ Stephane Yelle.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Bowers has like 5 points in 17 games in his third season in the AHL…..don’t see him cracking the Avs unless his defensive play is on par w/ Stephane Yelle.
Points aren't the best way to evaluate a player who's primary traits center around defensive play. But yeah things aren't looking too promising right now for Bowers 5 years on from his draft year without an NHL debut.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Unless you’re a facepuncher, you need some offensive talent to make the NHL… the knock on Bowers was always how much skill he had in his game. I was a believer in it early, but it really hasn’t come around like you’d really want. That said, he’s better than the stat line would indicate. Not sure it is NHL level still, but better than 5 in 17.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Points aren't the best way to evaluate a player who's primary traits center around defensive play. But yeah things aren't looking too promising right now for Bowers 5 years on from his draft year without an NHL debut.

Bowers has a lot of physical talent and his hockey sense defensively is solid. He might just be a better NHL player than AHL. As in, he's not a tweener like Sikura who isn't really good in a bottom six role in the NHL but feasts in the AHL. I still think Bowers can be like LOC and be a solid bottom six role player for us.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bowers has a lot of physical talent and his hockey sense defensively is solid. He might just be a better NHL player than AHL. As in, he's not a tweener like Sikura who isn't really good in a bottom six role in the NHL but feasts in the AHL. I still think Bowers can be like LOC and be a solid bottom six role player for us.
At least, give him some games to thirst trap the visiting scouts.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Getting more than a little tired of seeing these career AHLers continue to get callups and do absolutely NOTHING while Bowers and Kaut just toil away. Is either a legit prospect? Probably not. But I’d rather see a possible NHLer than guys who are definitely not.

Both of Bowers and Kaut are presumably hurt right now.

Check the box score of the last Eagles game. Neither guy played.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think the only thing holding Kaut back from being an NHL player right now is that he doesn't play with the pace Bednar wants out of his forwards. He could easily be a bottom sixer on a less deep team that doesn't play at the relentless tempo that the Avs do. But since that just isn't his style, Bednar doesn't like him and won't use him.

That's why I'm hoping for a trade for him, because he just isn't going to work here. I like him, but he needs a change of scenery in the worst kind of way. I just hope some shine as a former 1st rounder is still on him to hold some value so we can get a solid rental out of it.

Reactions: Chiarelli

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think the only thing holding Kaut back from being an NHL player right now is that he doesn't play with the pace Bednar wants out of his forwards. He could easily be a bottom sixer on a less deep team that doesn't play at the relentless tempo that the Avs do. But since that just isn't his style, Bednar doesn't like him and won't use him.

That's why I'm hoping for a trade for him, because he just isn't going to work here. I like him, but he needs a change of scenery in the worst kind of way. I just hope some shine as a former 1st rounder is still on him to hold some value so we can get a solid rental out of it.

Which is weird, because in his initial call-up stint he looked like a lock for our 3rd line and looked like a perfect fit. Kaut has the ability to play that way, but that's just not his preferred way and probably not sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad