2021-22 PHF Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

A Primer on the PHF and Isobel Cup Playoffs

They’re coming to the Tampa area - here’s everything you need to know before you go!

By Angelica Rodriguez
Mar 23, 2022, 9:00am EDT

In case you haven’t heard, there’s quite a bit happening in Wesley Chapel this coming weekend. AdventHealth Center Ice is playing host to the Premier Hockey Federation’s Isobel Cup Playoff Friday, March 25, through Monday, March 28. All of the Federation’s teams will vie for the chance to hoist the Isobel Cup, its championship trophy, on Monday night. ...

What’s the playoff format?

The top two teams - Connecticut and Toronto - have a bye heading into the first round Friday afternoon. Seeds 3 and 6 – Boston and Buffalo – will play each other, with seeds 4 and 5 (Minnesota and Metropolitan) making up the other match-up. No. 1 seed Connecticut will play the lowest remaining seed Sunday, March 27, while Toronto faces off against the highest remaining seed. The Isobel Cup Final is set for Monday evening, March 28.

Where can I watch?

Other than AdventHealth Center? [get your tickets here - JG] ESPN+ has all your streaming needs in the States, while ESPN International affiliates (including TSN Direct in Canada) picking up the rest. The Isobel Cup Final will air live Monday at 9 p.m. on ESPN2 in the U.S. and TSN2 in Canada.

Now let’s get into the teams ...

Read more including the Team Profiles at:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Tracking the 2022 Isobel Cup playoffs ...

2022 PHF Isobel Cup Schedule:

Friday March 25 – Preliminary Round

4:00 p.m. ET – Buffalo Beauts (6) vs Boston Pride (3) (ESPN+ & TSN.ca) ... RESULT: Beauts 0 - Pride 6 ... Game Report from The Ice Garden
7:30 p.m. ET – Minnesota Whitecaps (5) vs Metropolitan Riveters (4) (ESPN+ & TSN.ca)... RESULT: Whitecaps 4 - Riveters 1 ... Game Report also from The Ice Garden

Sunday March 27 – Semifinals
1:00 p.m. ET – Minnesota Whitecaps (5) vs Connecticut Whale (1) (ESPN+ & TSN.ca)
4:30 p.m. ET – Boston Pride (3) vs Toronto Six (2) (ESPN+ & TSN.ca)

Monday March 28 – Final
8:30 p.m. ET – Pregame Show (ESPN+ & TSN2)
9:00 p.m. ET – Winner of Semifinal 1 vs Winner of Semifinal 2 (ESPN2 & TSN2)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
First semifinal match completed, with the regular season champs Connecticut Whale eliminating the Minnesota Whitecaps by a 4-2 score. The Whale played exceptional Team D to keep the Caps away from goal & often made them retrieve the puck from their own zone, especially in the 3rd period to preserve the CT lead. They also responded quickly when Minnesota tied the score twice in the 2nd period after a scoreless first. The better team won.

Next up - Boston vs. Toronto, 4:30 pm Eastern start.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Isobel Cup championship preview from Victory Press ...

Isobel Cup Preview: Connecticut vs. Boston​

Regular Season Records​

• Connecticut: 15-3-2, 47 points 1st place
  • Boston: 10-5-5, 32 points, 3rd place

Head-to-Head Results​

• Boston 4, Connecticut 3 (OT)
  • Connecticut 3, Boston 1
  • Connecticut 3, Boston 2
  • Connecticut 6, Boston 1

Likely Goaltending Matchup​

Abbie Ives vs. Katie Burt. Ives made 22 saves in Sunday's semifinal, while Burt had 18 saves. Both are strong goaltenders and have earned their spot here to give their team the best possible chance at the Isobel Cup.

Players to Watch​

I've said it once, I'll say it again: Kennedy Marchment. What a season she's had, and what a treat it'd be to see that end with the championship. For Boston, keep an eye on Christina Putigna. She scored in the semifinal and was sixth on the team in regular-season scoring with 10 points in 20 games. ...

And ESPN offers a "Viewer's guide" of tonight's Finals, with the roads (or rinks) taken by the two teams, and their "Player to watch" for each side.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
End of 1st Period, 1-1. Boston took an early lead after a slick set of moves by captain Jillian Dempsey, then the Pride frustrated the Whale for most of the remaining play by blocking flow thru the neutral zone & countering with speed into the CT end. But Connecticut's Amanda Conway found a brief opening in Boston's tight team D and tied the game late in the period. Good hockey, more to come.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
End of 2, CT now has a 2-1 lead over defending champs BOS. Former Lindenwood U :thumbu: & Quinnipiac forward Taylor Girard scored the go-ahead goal early in the period on a tip in as she attacked the crease. The Whale later hit the crossbar behind Pride goalie Katie Burt, and they failed to score on a 5-minute power play. Remember that last note when the 3rd period pressure ramps up.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Boston Pride repeat as NWHL/PHF champions, with a 4-2 win over the regular season champs Connecticut Whale. CT clanged another crossbar with just over 6 minutes left, which was the closest the Whale could get to tie the game up a second time. Whale goalie Abby Ives was pulled twice in the closing minutes, but Boston defender Jenna Rheault scored a rolling curving ENG to seal the victory.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I watched the championship game on ESPN 2, and the production value was terrible. The main camera was too dark on an AHL Live streaming level, which was contrasted by the end cameras which looked like a normal NHL brightness. Made for a jarring watch experience.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I watched the championship game on ESPN 2, and the production value was terrible. The main camera was too dark on an AHL Live streaming level, which was contrasted by the end cameras which looked like a normal NHL brightness. Made for a jarring watch experience.
I'd say it matched the quality of the broadcast team, so there is that.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I'd say it matched the quality of the broadcast team, so there is that.
It beat the hell out of last years all female broadcast group who gave us such wonderfully cringe worthy lines as...

"I played women's lacrosse in college so I know a thing or two about women's hockey!"

"Look at this picture of Lady Isobel playing back in the 1890's, you're old enough to have played against her back then right?"

"Paul Mara's talking a real chance challenging this goal already down a player with a penalty he's going to take a delay of game penalty... Oh um nevermind the NWHL is using IIHF rules not NHL ones."

And my personal favorite that had to be mentioned at least four times a period whenever Toronto played...

"Did you know the Toronto Six are a very special team with a very special name? They're the sixth NWHL team, there are six players on the ice, the name is also the nickname for Toronto itself because it has six boroughs, and did you know the number six is blah blah blah?"

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I'll go ahead and say it, the Six choked. First place literally all season until the last day, and that semi-final loss.....

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'll go ahead and say it, the Six choked. First place literally all season until the last day, and that semi-final loss.....
The Pride were just saving their energy for the Cup playoffs. And your Six probably suffered more than gained from the first-round bye.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Don't hold a grudge, this is a league trying to learn to be adults.
Trust me my friend, if I held a grudge I wouldn't be commenting on the league warts and all. I may not post on this site all that frequently, but I've been following the league from the start going back to when the Pride played out of Harvard's arena.😆

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
PHF ANNOUNCES 2022 AWARD WINNERS

May 19, 2022
by PAUL KROTZ

Connecticut top scorer Kennedy Marchment earns MVP honors

BOSTON, MA
(May 19, 2022) – The Premier Hockey Federation (PHF) today announced its major award recipients for the 2021-22 season honoring excellence on the ice and in the community. The winners were unveiled throughout a special interactive program streamed live on Twitch, hosted by Erica Ayala and presented by Discover.

Top scorer Kennedy Marchment of the Connecticut Whale was crowned Most Valuable Player after leading the PHF with 33 points in 20 games. Her teammate, Taylor Girard, was voted Newcomer of the Year. A pair of Buffalo Beauts were also recognized including Dominique Kremer who earned Defender of the Year honors, and Elena Orlando who was chosen as this season’s Denna Laing Award recipient. Goaltender of the Year was presented to Elaine Chuli of the Toronto Six. All five individual awards were voted on by a selection committee comprised of media and broadcasters who chose between six nominees in every category representing top candidates provided by each PHF team. ...

Read more at:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And the PHF continues the publicity battle with the PWHPA, to see how many minor sports celebrities each one can amass in their media kit. To hell with hockey - this is a blitzkreig!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad