2021-22 PHF Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Obviouly don't know the financials, but being on ESPN+ vs streaming on Twitch in the past is a big upgrade in how they will be perceived - particularly with the NHL on ESPN+, maybe some people will be exposed to the league just because they are searching for hockey games on that platorm.
As much as I appreciated being able to watch the former NWHL games for free on Twitch (I'm a cheap old bastard), the platform just never seemed like a legit way to grow their brand. I agree that ESPN+ coverage will generate "ice cred" to a much wider audience than the 16-to-24 year old live gamer crowd.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
2021-22 PHF OPENING WEEKEND PULSE

November 8, 2021
by Paul Krotz ...

A new era for professional women’s hockey is officially underway with opening weekend of the 2021-22 Premier Hockey Federation season in the books.

Here’s a closer look at the first five results, top performers, and other notable highlights.

Saturday November 6 Scores:

Game 1
Connecticut Whale 1
Metropolitan Riveters 4
Box Score

Rebecca Russo paced the offense with a goal and two assists as the Riveters scored four unanswered to win their home opener and first game since January 24, a 4-3 triumph over the Whale.

Game 2
Minnesota Whitecaps 4
Boston Pride 6
Box Score

The Pride began defense of their Isobel Cup title by scoring four unanswered goals to open the rematch of last year’s final and held on for victory with two-point performances from Sammy Davis, Jillian Dempsey, and Kayla Friesen.

Game 3
Toronto Six 4
Buffalo Beauts 3
Box Score

Michela Cava scored the game-winning goal on the power play with one minute remaining in the third period to give the reigning regular season champion Six their first victory.

Sunday November 7 Scores:

Game 4
Minnesota Whitecaps 0
Boston Pride 1
Box Score

McKenna Brand scored the lone goal and Katie Burt shut the door for Boston who swept the weekend series over Minnesota on home ice in the Pride’s 100th regular season PHF game.

Game 5
Connecticut Whale 6
Metropolitan Riveters 5
Box Score

The Whale scored six straight goals to erase a 3-0 deficit and split the weekend series with the Riveters powered by a three-point performance from Alyssa Wohlfeiler. ...

Read about the 3 Stars & Opening Weekend Highlights at: 2021-22 PHF OPENING WEEKEND PULSE

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Welp, I guess I won't be watching the Whale @ Six today ... "This premium content is not available in your region. (Error #1)" ... :whatever:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Fratkin adds to distinguished career on defense

November 29, 2021
by PAUL KROTZ

When Kaleigh Fratkin was awarded a second consecutive Defender of the Year honor in April it bolstered her legacy as one of the Premier Hockey Federation’s all-time greats at the position.

That distinction became even more defined last Sunday in Minnesota when the Boston Pride blue liner reached the monumental milestone of 100 career PHF games.

“It’s pretty special,” Fratkin said. “When I started out in my professional career I didn’t think I’d be playing this long. It’s an honor being part of the league and something I hold close to my heart.”

The 29-year-old from Burnaby, British Columbia is just the second player in PHF history to play 100 games following teammate Jillian Dempsey who achieved the feat in the second game of the 2021-22 season.

“I didn’t even realize I was close to 100 games until Demps hit her milestone,” Fratkin laughed. “It’s pretty surreal. Coming out of college there were limited options but I always just wanted to play. To think I’ve been able to play at a high level and work on my game, I feel this league has allowed me to do that.” ...

Read more at: Fratkin adds to distinguished career on defense

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
An early-ish look at the League standings & team stats ...

PHF Standings (1 Dec 2021).jpg

The League's stats leaders also deserve some attention. The Toronto Six's Mikyla Grant-Mentis is picking up where she left off last season, this time leading the PHF in Assists (6) and PPGA (2.7). The Boston Pride's 2nd-year netminder Katie Burt leads the League in GAA (1.31) as well as Saves % (0.956).

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
An early-ish look at the League standings & team stats ...

View attachment 486043

The League's stats leaders also deserve some attention. The Toronto Six's Mikyla Grant-Mentis is picking up where she left off last season, this time leading the PHF in Assists (6) and PPGA (2.7). The Boston Pride's 2nd-year netminder Katie Burt leads the League in GAA (1.31) as well as Saves % (0.956).
Big 2 games for those teams this weekend, and then Metro comes to Toronto next week.

Reactions: JMCx4

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Just stumbled on the games today on ESPN+, would love to get into a team so as my daughter grows older there’s women she can look up to. Glad they’re on ESPN+, will try to keep up with the league now.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Just stumbled on the games today on ESPN+, would love to get into a team so as my daughter grows older there’s women she can look up to. Glad they’re on ESPN+, will try to keep up with the league now.
I still get weekly game announcements from Twitch, and every time I click the "Watch Now" button I'm informed that the "premium content is not available in your area." Glad to know that SOMEBODY will get to see some games. Enjoy.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Boston took both games against Toronto this weekend, 2-1 in a shootout yesterday, and 8-2 today. Looking forward to seeing the Six live next weekend against Metro.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Toronto swept Metro this past weekend to retake first place from idle Boston, and look to build on that lead next weekend with two games at Minnesota.

Stats - PREMIER HOCKEY FEDERATION

I was at Sunday's 3-0 shutout win, and found the PHF to be maybe a little more physical than the CWHL was (bodychecking is still prohibited).
Mikyla Grant-Mentis appears to have her own cheering section made up of family and friends from the local Jamaican community.
Hopefully I can drag a friend or two with me for January 8/9 weekend vs. Minnesota.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Toronto released this statement last Tuesday. On Thursday they announced their weekend games against Minnesota were postponed due to Covid issues with the Whitecaps. Sitting at home now is killing me more than it did last season.
20220110_132640.png

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Toronto released this statement last Tuesday. On Thursday they announced their weekend games against Minnesota were postponed due to Covid issues with the Whitecaps. Sitting at home now is killing me more than it did last season. ...
A lot of us got our hockey hopes up too soon, it seems. I feel your pain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad