Line Combos: 2021-22 lines (Part 2)

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Another thing to keep in mind, Hoffman is never injured while Armia is often on the injury list.

Most game miss by Hoffman in a season is 8 while Joel is missing over 10 games per seasons most of the time.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Another thing to keep in mind, Hoffman is never injured while Armia is often on the injury list.

Most game miss by Hoffman in a season is 8 while Joel is missing over 10 games per seasons most of the time.

This is very true. It is hard to mention Armia without also using the word "pace." When he is in the lineup, he's an asset to the team, though. Especially come playoff time.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
ES is what it is. When all things are equal. It should especially be considered for this team that was awful 3 on 3. If we found someone that has positive value there, why ignore it?

Huberdeau was -14 that season. Is he not playable? Why not reference the season after when Hoffman scored at a 36 goal pace again and was only -5? Convenient I guess.

It’s silly to claim Hoffman didn’t help the Panthers win games even if he scored 36 goals. This is pointless.

ES is what it is….Polluted by 3v3 and empty netters when we’re on a thread talking 5v5 lines combo.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
ES is what it is….Polluted by 3v3 and empty netters when we’re on a thread talking 5v5 lines combo.

If healthy Hoffman is going to produce many points, you don't put that guy on a 4th line ....

Schenn was -2 last year while Hoffman was +2, does that mean that Schenn is worse defensively than Hoffman?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They’re only asking Evans to give us what KK gave us which was 30 points in an 82 game season. I think he’s capable of that. 4C offence is irrelevant if his wingers are a combination of Lehkonen/Armia/Byron/Perreault. No other team in the league has that type of talent on their 4th line.

The biggest question is will Suzuki make that next jump. And what exactly is Caufield going to be as a rookie and can he keep it up for 82 games.

I think this will be a great road team because they can roll 4 lines with confidence. Also now their PP won’t be a momentum killer.

I like Evans. I think he's a smart player but if we are even going to entertain the notion of him getting 30 points, we also have to assume he will play around 82 games, and with his history, that is at least as big of a challenge in itself

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Drouin as a shutdown center is recipe for disaster. Frankly, I do wish he rebounds so the Habs can leverage him somehow to lure a bigger fish.
No, Drouin would be pivoting an opportunistic secondary scoring line. The shutdown guys would be Suzuki, Dvorak and Evans. No need for four.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
It is factual that Florida scored (considerably less, actually ) when Hoffman was on the ice at 5v5 (this is by looking at how his teammates perform with and without him on the ice) for each season he spent there. The fact that Player X might have been moved up with Hubs and/or Barkov when not with Hoffman might explain part of that, for sure, considering Hoffman himself saw limited times with those two.

He, however, has been lethal on the powerplay, which is where he should be relied upon offensively.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

How can you say it’s “polluted” with those stats when the Habs lost 11 games in OT? And why would Hoffman be on the ice to score empty netters if he’s so bad defensively?

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
How can you say it’s “polluted” with those stats when the Habs lost 11 games in OT? And why would Hoffman be on the ice to score empty netters if he’s so bad defensively?

If you don’t understand why using 3v3 stats is irrelevant when talking 5v5 line combinations, I can’t help you.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I said it once and I will say it again. We didn't sign Hoffman to play on the 4th line. This is ridiculous.

We have been dying to get some goal scorers on this team for years, and then once we get them, we stick them on the 4th line. My goodness... Give your head a shake, guys.

There's no typical 4th line on this team.

Lehkonen who was on the 4th line last year played 13:25 per game while Gallagher was getting 15:01 on the first/second line...

The difference in ice time between the third and fourth lines will be small IMO.

They'll play as if they had 2 second lines and 2 third lines.

Reactions: 417

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
There's no typical 4th line on this team.

Lehkonen who was on the 4th line last year played 13:25 per game while Gallagher was getting 15:01 on the first/second line...

The difference in ice time between the third and fourth lines will be small IMO.

They'll play as if they had 2 second lines and 2 third lines.

It's a 4th line if it is centered by Paquette, and I am sure Hoffman will not be pleased.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's a 4th line if it is centered by Paquette, and I am sure Hoffman will not be pleased.
I think they'll give Poehling the chance to start the season as the third/fourth center even if he doesn't manage to impress during the camp.

They can send him down at any moment if he can't do the job.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
With Hoffman out:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson
Armia-Evans-Gallagher
Pezzetta-Perreault-Lehkonen

Can swich Perreault with Paquette if needed.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
If healthy Hoffman is going to produce many points, you don't put that guy on a 4th line ....

Schenn was -2 last year while Hoffman was +2, does that mean that Schenn is worse defensively than Hoffman?[/QUO

Schenn was -2 last year while Hoffman was +2, does that mean that Schenn is worse defensively than Hoffman?
I would put him on the 4th line - to start see what he has if he doesn't gel with his teammates like he didn't with the Blues he will be traded-

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hoffman, Caufield, Price, Niku & Edmundson out to start the season...

Monty claimed.
Claim Fleury.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Lekhonen
Poehling - Perrault - Pezz

Romanov - Petry
Chia - Savard
Kulak - Wideman
Fleury

Allen
Monty

Maestro indeed...

Reactions: AGMongoose

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Hoffman, Caufield, Price, Niku & Edmundson out to start the season...

Monty claimed.
Claim Fleury.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Lekhonen
Poehling - Perrault - Pezz

Romanov - Petry
Chia - Savard
Kulak - Wideman
Fleury

Allen
Monty

Maestro indeed...
Fleury? Lmao are you even following this team for real?

Edmundson and Caufield are day to day , they will be there on the opening night.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This is what it looks like right now imo

(Points)

Toffoli (59) - Suzuki (67) - Caufield (54)
Drouin (51) - Dvorak (48) - Anderson (44)
Lehkonen (27) - Evans (33) - Gallagher (47)
Perreault (15) - Poehling (17) - Armia (30)
*Hoffman (38), Byron (18), Paquette (14)

Edmundson (14) - Petry (44)
Romanov (20) - Savard (21)
Chiarot (19) - Wideman (22)
*Kulak (10), Niku (5)

Allen-Montembeault (Price)

-Guhle fills in for Edmundson if he's injured

Last edited:

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Toffoli - Dvorak - Gallagher
Hoffman - Drouin - Armia