Line Combos: 2021-22 Edition

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
As of writing this post (8/5/21), key changes have been made to the roster this offseason. Although there's still a ton of time between now and opening night, discussing possible line combos is always fun, and condensing lineup discussion to one thread is convenient, so I'll get things started:

Perron-O'Reilly-Buchnevich
Saad-Schenn-Kyrou
Sanford-Thomas-Tarasenko
Sundqvist-Barbashev-Bozak

Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Walman-Bortuzzo

Binnington
Husso

I think the potential forward group rivals that of the cup-winning group from 2019 for sure, and perhaps even exceeds them (if you'll recall, we won the cup with a first line of Sanford-O'Reilly-Perron).

Much has been made about the drop-off on defense, but overall I think this group sports a lot of talent, depth, is capable of finishing in a top 3 spot in the division, and making noise in the playoffs.

...as long as they stay healthy. :help: :crossfing:D:thumbu:

What say you? :nod:

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
As of writing this post (8/5/21), key changes have been made to the roster this offseason. Although there's still a ton of time between now and opening night, discussing possible line combos is always fun, and condensing lineup discussion to one thread is convenient, so I'll get things started:

Saad-Schenn-Kyrou
Sanford-Thomas-Tarasenko

Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Walman-Bortuzzo

Binnington
Husso

I think the potential forward group rivals that of the cup-winning group from 2019 for sure, and perhaps even exceeds them (if you'll recall, we won the cup with a first line of Sanford-O'Reilly-Perron).

Much has been made about the drop-off on defense, but overall I think this group sports a lot of talent and depth and is capable of finishing in a top 3 spot in the division and making noise in the playoffs.

I like those lines and they are similar to mine with the exception of Bozak. We wont be able to fit him and the Thomas extension in. That’s why I have Joshua / Mac in that spot.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I like those lines and they are similar to mine with the exception of Bozak. We wont be able to fit him and the Thomas extension in. That’s why I have Joshua / Mac in that spot.
Disagree about Bozak. We're over a week into free agency and he doesn't have a deal. Either we have one in a drawer that will be signed sometime in camp or he is going to have to settle for a bonus-laden 1 year deal. We can offer a contract to Bozak that will allow him to earn $3M in real dollars but only count as $900k against the camp on opening night. We can absolutely fit him in. We can give him the identical salary of whoever he pushes off the roster with a $2M bonus for playing 10 games. That bonus won't be calculated against the cap until the end of the season (when we will either have space from a Tarasenko trade or will have to rollover the bonus into next year's cap).

Reactions: Celtic Note

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Saad-Schenn-Kyrou
Sanford-Thomas-Tarasenko

Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Walman-Bortuzzo

Binnington
Husso

Much has been made about the drop-off on defense, but overall I think this group sports a lot of talent, depth, is capable of finishing in a top 3 spot in the division, and making noise in the playoffs.

Pretty much my ideal lines given the players we have extended and assuming Tarasenko isn't traded by the start of the season. However, Barby is my 3rd choice to center the 4th line among the 3 guys you have on there.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Walman-Bortuzzo

Krug - Faulk pair

giphy.gif

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
We simply don’t have the cap space at full health for both Sanford and Bozak with Vladi on the roster.

Personally, my preference is moving Sanford, signing Bozak, and then let Vladi build his trade value back up if we can’t find a decent offer for him.

With this said, I’ll throw my options out there in the scenarios in which we have one of Sanford or Bozak.

with Sanford-
Saad-O’Reilly-Perron
Buchnevich-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sanford-Thomas-Kyrou
Barbashev-Sundqvist-Kostin
Clifford, Mac/Dak

or

Schenn-O’Reilly-Perron
Buchnevich-Thomas-Tarasenko
Saad-Sundqvist-Kyrou
Sanford-Barbashev-Kostin
Clifford, Mac/Dak

with Bozak-
Saad-O’Reilly-Perron
Buchnevich-Schenn-Tarasenko
Kostin-Thomas-Kyrou
Barbashev-Bozak-Sundqvist
Clifford, Mac/Dak

or

Schenn-O’Reilly-Perron
Buchnevich-Thomas-Tarasenko
Saad-Bozak-Kyrou
Barbashev-Sundqvist-Kostin
Clifford, Mac/Dak

D pairings would be

Krug/Scandella-Parayko
Scandella/Krug-Faulk
Mikkola/Walman-Bortuzzo

If Vladi is to build back his value, he has to be in the top six, and our lines would be absolutely loaded in that case. Winning can cure many problems, but even if it doesn’t, having a healthy Vladi with a chip on his shoulder to get out can generally only benefit us. Barring he doesn’t cause locker room issues of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meatball

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Schenn O'Reilly Perron
Saad Thomas Buchnevich
Sanford Kyrou Kostin
MacEarchern Barbashev Sundquvist

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
With Tarasenko

Perron-RoR-Buch
Saad-Schenn-Kyrou
Kostin-Thomas-Tarasenko
Sanford-Sunny-Barby

Scandella-Faulk
Krug-Parayko
Walman/Mikkola-Bortuzzo

Without Tarasenko

Perron-RoR-Buch
Saad-Schenn-Kyrou
Kostin-Thomas-Sunny
Sanford-Barby-MacMac

Same Defense.

Reasons
Buch seems like the type of player who would gel well with Perron-RoR, big, strong, and a nose for the net.

Saad-Schenn-Kyrou seems like the "Outwork you" type of line. Good mix of speed, and two way play.

Thomas plays well with big bruisy type of players. Kostin, Sunny, and Tarasenko(when he's on) can play that way.

Defensive reasoning.
Spreading the wealth in the top 4. Offensive minded player with a defensive minded player.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think the lines in the OP are most likely, with Kostin or Clifford subbing in for Bozak if we don't sign him.

I would like to try some sort of all-Russian line to see if playing with fellow countrymen could spark some joy for Tarasenko. Maybe help mend some bridges (although it seems doubtful). Also, I think it would help Kostin too. Just thinking out loud, maybe something like:

Perron - RoR - Buchnevich
Saad - Schenn - Kyrou
Kostin - Barbashev - Tarasenko
Sanford - Thomas - Sunqvist

This kind of screws over Thomas though. So double shift Tarasenko on a Sunqvist - Thomas -Tarasenko line to get Thomas and Tarasenko more TOI than Barby, Kostin, Sanford really need?

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Sanford - O'Reilly - Perron
Saad - Schenn - Buchnevich
Barbashev - Thomas - Kyrou
Clifford - Sundqvist - MacEachern

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Perron - RoR - Buchnevich
Saad - Schenn - Kyrou
Kostin - Thomas - Tarasenko
Sanford - Barbs - Sunny

that’s a hell of a good looking 4 lines.

Reactions: mk80 and Meatball

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Disagree about Bozak. We're over a week into free agency and he doesn't have a deal. Either we have one in a drawer that will be signed sometime in camp or he is going to have to settle for a bonus-laden 1 year deal. We can offer a contract to Bozak that will allow him to earn $3M in real dollars but only count as $900k against the camp on opening night. We can absolutely fit him in. We can give him the identical salary of whoever he pushes off the roster with a $2M bonus for playing 10 games. That bonus won't be calculated against the cap until the end of the season (when we will either have space from a Tarasenko trade or will have to rollover the bonus into next year's cap).
I have a strong suspicion that Bozak is doing a "Hoffman" where the two parties have agreed to a deal that can't be executed yet. This also implies that there is a deal for Tarasenko in the works prior to camp. Its also possible that Bozak takes Sanford's roster spot, but I'm less sure how that works out not knowing whether Tarasenko could command a roster player in return. (He almost certainly has to, right? Otherwise there won't be any way salary can work. But maybe its a defender.)

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I have a strong suspicion that Bozak is doing a "Hoffman" where the two parties have agreed to a deal that can't be executed yet. This also implies that there is a deal for Tarasenko in the works prior to camp. Its also possible that Bozak takes Sanford's roster spot, but I'm less sure how that works out not knowing whether Tarasenko could command a roster player in return. (He almost certainly has to, right? Otherwise there won't be any way salary can work. But maybe its a defender.)

I really hope we do find a way to bring Bozie back, because he would fill out the top 9 nicely. I'd also hope we at least get a servicable top 9 player back in the Tarasenko trade (pure futures deal aside), so it's kind of hard to predict how the lines will look right now. I'm going with this for now and will probably change my mind in 15 minutes.

Perron ROR Kyrou
Saad Schenn Buchnevich
Kostin Sunny Thomas
Clifford Barbie Sanford

I honestly could shuffle any of Kyrou, Saad and Buch on the top line but my thinking is that the ROR Perron line needs more speed and Kyrou's defensive deficiencies will be mitgated by the two veterans + they can help him become more of a complete player. Then that leaves us with a very solid 2nd scoring line + a 3rd line that. Bump Barby or Sanford up to the 3rd line until Sunny is back, but we need one more guy to fill out the lineup. Or even one veteran Russian winger who should get over his issues and come back home!

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Thought I posted this yesterday but don’t see it so will try again.

Saad ROR Perron
Kyrou Schenn Buchnevish
Sanford Thomas Sunny
Barbie Bozo Kostin

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Perron ROR Buch
Saad Schenn Kyrou
Sanford Thomas Tarasenko
Barbashev Sundqvist Clifford

The bottom 6 is a pretty clear weakness here and a lot depends on how Saad fits with Schenn. If they don't mesh well, we may need Thomas to really step up and carry the load.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Thought I posted this yesterday but don’t see it so will try again.

Saad ROR Perron
Kyrou Schenn Buchnevish
Sanford Thomas Sunny
Barbie Bozo Kostin

I like the bottom six here. Switch the top six around, and this is ideal (without Tank).

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I think our best offensive chance generator this year will be Jordan Kyrou. At the beginning of last year when the team was healthy and he played with Schenn and Schwartz they were one of the best lines in the league. I'd like us to cater the second line to him and maximize his ability off the rush. Saad would be a really good Schwartz replacement on that line and brings better finishing ability. Schenn probably would start the year centering that line, but I'd be interested to see Thomas with them as well.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
It’s time for Thomas to be a 2nd line Center. He needs to step up. Unless Blues get real value for Tarasenko, they are better off keeping him.

Schenn ——- ROR ——- Perron
Buchnevich —— Thomas —— Tarasenko
Saad —— Sundqvist ——- Kyrou
Kostin ——- Barbashev ——- Sanford

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Perron-ROR-Buchnevich
Schenn-Thomas-Tarasenko
Saad-Sunny-Kyrou
Sanford-Barby-Clifford
Ex: Kostin, MacMac

Ideally, Army would waive Clifford, trade Sanford and Barby, sign Bozak for 4C and let MacMac, Kostin, Walker and Alexandrov compete for time alongside Bozak in the 4th line.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I think our best offensive chance generator this year will be Jordan Kyrou. At the beginning of last year when the team was healthy and he played with Schenn and Schwartz they were one of the best lines in the league. I'd like us to cater the second line to him and maximize his ability off the rush. Saad would be a really good Schwartz replacement on that line and brings better finishing ability. Schenn probably would start the year centering that line, but I'd be interested to see Thomas with them as well.

The problem is I don't think Saad's work along the boards is as good as Schwartz's is and that really made that line tick. We also insisted on Tarasenko being with Schenn and Schwartz when they just weren't as good together.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Perron-ROR-Buchnevich
Schenn-Thomas-Tarasenko
Saad-Sunny-Kyrou
Sanford-Barby-Clifford
Ex: Kostin, MacMac

Ideally, Army would waive Clifford, trade Sanford and Barby, sign Bozak for 4C and let MacMac, Kostin, Walker and Alexandrov compete for time alongside Bozak in the 4th line.
Sorry, not Walker for me. I don't want to see him in a Blues jersey ever again. His defense isn't even AHL level. He is not NHL-caliber at all, and I doubt he ever will be.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Sorry, not Walker for me. I don't want to see him in a Blues jersey ever again. His defense isn't even AHL level. He is not NHL-caliber at all, and I doubt he ever
Walker's just a depth body for the 13th-14th forward. could be any league minimum guy to be honest. I could just as easily have put fellow smurf Matthew Peca in his spot.
I just don't like spending more than league minimum for replacement level contributions, which Clifford and Barby provide. And Sanford needs to get taken away from Berube, otherwise he'll end up on the 1st line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad