Speculation: 2021-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Well take comfort in the fact that if the Ducks or Sharks get Eichel they become the new Kings...chasing their tail trying to accelerate their rebuilds to satisfy $10 million players.

And it's not the players faults for wanting to win...it's the GM's fault for putting the team in that situation to begin with.

When would you have traded Kopitar?

Some of the moves people want GMs to do just don't get done. The Blues let their only captain to touch the Cup walk. A bold move for a team still thinking it could win. Then they just replaced him with another aging player on a long term contract.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
When would you have traded Kopitar?

Some of the moves people want GMs to do just don't get done. The Blues let their only captain to touch the Cup walk. A bold move for a team still thinking it could win. Then they just replaced him with another aging player on a long term contract.

Disastrous move for the Blues.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I don't get the posts where the Ducks will regret an Eichel trade.
Zegras, Comtois and Drysdale are equivelent to Byfeild, Turcotte and Vilardi on the Kings and they have the cap space to do it.

If the ducks can pulloff a trade without those 3...say the 3rd overall + Rackell\Silverberg+Steel, Jones or Terry and other pick(s) that would be a win for them in replacing Geztlaf.
Imagine handling Zegras and Eichel on the PP, or 3-3, we have no answer for that.
Sabers walk away with the 3rd pick and nice depth.

It all comes down to the asking price and Jack's health.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't get the posts where the Ducks will regret an Eichel trade.
Zegras, Comtois and Drysdale are equivelent to Byfeild, Turcotte and Vilardi on the Kings and they have the cap space to do it.

If the ducks can pulloff a trade without those 3...say the 3rd overall + Rackell\Silverberg+Steel, Jones or Terry and other pick(s) that would be a win for them in replacing Geztlaf.
Imagine handling Zegras and Eichel on the PP, or 3-3, we have no answer for that.
Sabers walk away with the 3rd pick and nice depth.

It all comes down to the asking price and Jack's health.

The difference between the Kings and Ducks is pretty simple.

If Zegras goes to Buffalo then the Ducks have center depth of Eichel/Lundestrom/Steel/Henrique. They are still terrible and is Eichel really worth exchanging with Zegras once the $9 million salary difference is taken into account?

The Kings can trade Turcotte and have center depth of Kopitar/Eichel/Byfield/JAD/Vilardi/et al. Still exceptionally strong.

Hope that helps.

Tijuana Trotz

Aug 17, 2010
Probably not quite... but yeah.
I do wonder if caps should be adjusted to a degree for things like taxes and Cost of Living.
The NHL (and sports leagues in general) should look into a policy where players split the taxes for all States/providences where the NHL has teams. All players pay state taxes into the fund equally, and it’s distributed to all states according to their tax rates.

I travel for work often, and sometimes I’m taxed in the state Im working in even though the company i work for is based in CA, so I’m pretty sure it’s possible.

Token

May 15, 2019
The NHL (and sports leagues in general) should look into a policy where players split the taxes for all States/providences where the NHL has teams. All players pay state taxes into the fund equally, and it’s distributed to all states according to their tax rates.

I travel for work often, and sometimes I’m taxed in the state Im working in even though the company i work for is based in CA, so I’m pretty sure it’s possible.
The players already pay taxes wherever they play the game and earn the money.

A private enterprise cannot impose taxation schemes.

Reactions: Herby

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

If Zegras goes to Buffalo then the Ducks have center depth of Eichel/Lundestrom/Steel/Henrique. They are still terrible and is Eichel really worth exchanging with Zegras once the $9 million salary difference is taken into account?

The Kings can trade Turcotte and have center depth of Kopitar/Eichel/Byfield/JAD/Vilardi/et al. Still exceptionally strong.

Hope that helps.

This is assuming the Ducks would move Zegras and he has the same value as Turcotte. I think the Ducks can get it done without Zegras.

Reactions: Mats26

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

Hope that helps.

Read my post again.
What if the Ducks get Eichel without Zegras??

Eichel and Zegras for the next 5+ years at center as 1A and 1B. They have a 3rd overall + cap space + a few quality roster players to make that happen.

It makes more sense for the Ducks(Getzlaf replacement) than the Kings to carry 3 x 10 milllion players. Which, let's be clear, will never happen in a rebuild.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Can someone explain why they think the King's intended / intend to do a true rebuild? They have two 10 million dollar players signed up to term. Did they / do they really intend to have them sit in albatross for 5 years while paying them to simmer?

Clearly the Kings are keeping them so clearly they do not have a full rebuild in mind, right? Unless the front office is THAT incompetent and intends to waste 100 million dollars and ruining their reputation amongst other stars by forcing DD and Kopitar to play the losing parent of kids. No way the kings are that stupid. Please tell me that they are not that stupid.

This is why I have refused to attach myself to a prospect. This always was and has to be a gap rebuild.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Can someone explain why they think the King's intended / intend to do a true rebuild? They have two 10 million dollar players signed up to term. Did they / do they really intend to have them sit in albatross for 5 years while paying them to simmer?

Clearly the Kings are keeping them so clearly they do not have a full rebuild in mind, right? Unless the front office is THAT incompetent and intends to waste 100 million dollars and ruining their reputation amongst other stars by forcing DD and Kopitar to play the losing parent of kids. No way the kings are that stupid. Please tell me that they are not that stupid.

This is why I have refused to attach myself to a prospect. This always was and has to be a gap rebuild.

it’s not a waste. First the Kings have to hit a cap floor. Second they have to sell tickets and put fans in the seat.

2 Time Stanley Cup Champs are still marketable items.

Don’t confuse the passion of this board with the other 15,000 tickets they are trying to sell nightly.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

A team still needs mentors and leaders. We had them last time around as well.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I love and respect both Doughty and Kopitar.

But it's obvious this franchise needs to rebuild. If they don't want to be part of it, they can move on. It's mostly up to them.

If they want to stay, I'm fine with that also, but the organization can't make moves just placate their desire to win now; it's not in the best interest of the franchise.

IMO, it takes about 8 drafts to do a rebuild. The 2022 draft will be the 5th in this rebuild for the Kings. We're not that far away if we stay the course.

5th? They started 18-19 with no intention of rebuilding. Management did anyway. The players seemed to have other plans that year. 2022 will be getting just half way in your timeline. That's including the 2019 draft, which wasn't part of any plan at the outset.

And 8 years? Even the Soviets promised results earlier than that. Why not 9 or 10? Where does 8 come from?

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
it’s not a waste. First the Kings have to hit a cap floor. Second they have to sell tickets and put fans in the seat.

2 Time Stanley Cup Champs are still marketable items.

Don’t confuse the passion of this board with the other 15,000 tickets they are trying to sell nightly.
If the Kings truly have that as their plan then we are in deep trouble. The Kings fans are not going to go or stay home because of Anze Kopitar DD alone. Watching Anze pass to Iafollo isn't going to do it. It's a waste of 100 million dollars and staining the teams reputation among all future players by trapping them. This is what is happening when DD comes out and questions the teams direction.

You don't fill a team with two 10 million dollar players and penny players. You trade those guys to help the rebuild and replace them with older, flashy vets to fill the floor and the vet department. Analyzing it logically says that this is a retool. It has to be.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
A team still needs mentors and leaders. We had them last time around as well.
DD doesn't mentor. He wants to win and isn't here to groom the next DD. He may say a nice thing about a player but he would get on the phone and trade a kid for a star in a minute. He's already complained a half dozen times since he signed his contract.
Anze is a nice guy but he's one of 10 NHL players from his country. Who is he taking under his wing? His younger brother? Heck, he's still under his daddy's wing

Reactions: kinghock

Cosmos

Aug 2, 2005
With 7 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft, I have to think Blake will not be utilizing every pick on drafting another 17-18 year old.

He’s got to be moving up and or bringing in more mature talent from another team during the draft….right?

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Did someone say Defense?

How do we feel about OEL? 6 years at 8.25M. Is he starting to regress? Could he be reenergized like Brown after Sutter? How much would you be willing to part with?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
OEL was NEVER as good as his rep, never mind now. Pass.

Chychrun already a better player than OEL's rep.

OEL was the saccharine version of EK. Back when I cared enough to look at Advanced Stats like 7 years ago, OEL was always high in the GAA per 60 stat. He got the same excuses as EK. Plays a lot of minutes, bad luck or poor goaltending. Bull crap he just wasn't a very good all situations defenseman. He was great at getting the puck to the net through traffic, but actually defending nah.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
5th? They started 18-19 with no intention of rebuilding. Management did anyway. The players seemed to have other plans that year. 2022 will be getting just half way in your timeline. That's including the 2019 draft, which wasn't part of any plan at the outset.

And 8 years? Even the Soviets promised results earlier than that. Why not 9 or 10? Where does 8 come from?
2017 draft is when the Kings started holding on to their picks again. This will be the 5th draft since then.

And yes, about 8 drafts. Not every case of course.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
EK was one of the best players in the world in his prime, that Ottawa team taking what ended up being 2x champion Pittsburgh to Game 7 OT was a testament to just how great he was. And plenty of players of that era have echoed those sentiments. Not many who could do what he could do transitioning from offense to defense, even a guy like Hughes who is amazing at doing that doesn't really compare. People kind of throw around the generational label to easily (like Eichel isn't generational), I think EK really fits the label of generational, he was that good for about 6-7 years.

OEL was never close to that level and makes no sense for the Kings now, regardless of what the cost is. He turns 30 in a month and his play has declined significantly from his prime years, also an $8.25 cap hit with a full NMC for the next 6 seasons? No thanks, that is the type of deal that could really hurt the Kings in say 3-5 years when the team might be good again and they are carrying that kind of cap hit on what could easily be a replacement level player by then.

Arizona is going to have to retain a decent amount to get any kind of value from a team with a 2-3 year window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad