Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean I'd take Weegar over G quite comfortably tbf.

And that’s fine. But if you take TDA you’re an idiot. Same with Zub and the others.

People seem to forget though that Weegar struggled badly against Tampa’s sustained forecheck last year in the playoffs. Don’t think he’s some massive upgrade over G. And one of the reasons why he struggled is the opposite reason as to why Sammy struggles—he’s a big guy, but a lousy skater.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And that’s fine. But if you take TDA you’re an idiot. Same with Zub and the others.

People seem to forget though that Weegar struggled badly against Tampa’s sustained forecheck last year in the playoffs. Don’t think he’s some massive upgrade over G. And one of the reasons why he struggled is the opposite reason as to why Sammy struggles—he’s a big guy, but a lousy skater.
I mean TDA the player has a very real argument to being a better player than Girard. The person is another story. But Cernak, Zub, and Gavrikov aren't really comparable.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean TDA the player has a very real argument to being a better player than Girard. The person is another story. But Cernak, Zub, and Gavrikov aren't really comparable.

No he doesn’t. He’s a better shooter, but he’s several levels below G defensively. The Canes have successfully sheltered him in a quasi-Graves role. Also, TDA has had much, much more consistent goaltending behind him.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Add a mil and that is EJ. Doesn’t really apply to G though.

The second goal last night was caused by G dropping to his stomach and waving his stick around instead of taking body or pressuring the carrier. He also threw it right up the middle against Calgary causing a goal, he almost did it again when cale had to come back and save the day while Girard once again was on his stomach waving his stick around. There’s alot of Girard defenders, but what exactly does he do that cancels out all these defensive weaknesses? His pairing gets absolutely throttled nightly.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
No he doesn’t. He’s a better shooter, but he’s several levels below G defensively. The Canes have successfully sheltered him in a quasi-Graves role. Also, TDA has had much, much more consistent goaltending behind him.

And TDA is a quantum leap offensively. Like not even in the same ballpark.

upload_2022-3-9_15-23-19.png

upload_2022-3-9_15-24-12.png

He has played significantly better than Girard this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The second goal last night was caused by G dropping to his stomach and waving his stick around instead of taking body or pressuring the carrier. He also threw it right up the middle against Calgary causing a goal, he almost did it again when cale had to come back and save the day while Girard once again was on his stomach waving his stick around. There’s alot of Girard defenders, but what exactly does he do that cancels out all these defensive weaknesses? His pairing gets absolutely throttled nightly.
He’s had some moments, yeah… but to paint that as his norm is hyperbole.

G is an excellent transition player who is a plus offensive player. His pairing issues are not really on him. It is on Bednar and Sakic expecting him to carry around corpses.

Reactions: Reparlana

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

G is an excellent transition player who is a plus offensive player. His pairing issues are not really on him. It is on Bednar and Sakic expecting him to carry around corpses.

All I see is us get hemmed in our own end, so the transition part is nice, when there’s no pressure.. his partners metrics also increase away from him, if Girard is left to guard the net front on any play you myswell chalk it up as a goal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Girard has made a ton of mistakes lately. Yet we're always harping on EJ, JJ, etc.

I just wish this place was consistent in its criticism.

EJ has made mistakes lately as well that deserve criticism, but I'm pretty sure Girard has made the most of any defenseman, because along with the defensive mistakes, he's also been turning the puck over a lot.

But it's EJ, JJ, and Murray we're worried about in the playoffs? The kind of guys who play better in the post season? Not Girard, who has shown to struggle more in the playoffs than the regular season?

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Girard has made a ton of mistakes lately. Yet we're always harping on EJ, JJ, etc.

EJ has made mistakes lately as well that deserve criticism, but I'm pretty sure Girard has made the most of any defenseman, because along with the defensive mistakes, he's also been turning the puck over a lot.

But it's EJ, JJ, and Murray we're worried about in the playoffs? The kind of guys who play better in the post season? Not Girard, who has shown to struggle more in the playoffs than the regular season?
Girards been getting shit on all year? There's been a pretty consistent amount of criticism for all 4 of these guys this year.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And TDA is a quantum leap offensively. Like not even in the same ballpark.

View attachment 514146

View attachment 514147

He has played significantly better than Girard this year.

This year, yes but I’m pretty sure DeAngelo’s partner this season has been Jaccob Slavin and Sammy’s has been Jack Johnson. Bit of a difference there.

And despite that AND the fact that the goaltending in Carolina has been much better, Sammy is STILL putting up better defensive numbers.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
This year, yes but I’m pretty sure DeAngelo’s partner this season has been Jaccob Slavin and Sammy’s has been Jack Johnson. Bit of a difference there.

And despite that AND the fact that the goaltending in Carolina has been much better, Sammy is STILL putting up better defensive numbers.

The answer is always the same in here.. Girard isn’t doing good because he doesn’t have a partner to save all his blunders. Considering how good offensively our top pairing is it’s becoming very obvious Girards skill set is a luxury that is biting us defensively.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

If you’re trying to push the narrative that Girard is not getting a shit ton of criticism thrown his way, I’m fine with telling you you’re objectively wrong. It’s been to the level that at least one of the Trade/Sign threads was sarcastically entitled “Where are we trading Girard?”.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The answer is always the same in here.. Girard isn’t doing good because he doesn’t have a partner to save all his blunders.

Again, you’re just throwing bullshit around to fit your lazy narrative. Even I’m admitting in multiple posts that he’s not having a good year. But it’s also true he hasn’t had very good defensive partners. EJ/JJ/Murray have been really bad this year.

That said, Sammy has also had bad games/shifts with Makar and Toews out there with him. It doesn’t have to be all one thing or the other. We can admit he’s struggling and also point out the fact that he’s had garbage defensive partners who are making the problem worse.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I agree with emphasizing his elusiveness and dropping the bulk. But find him the right partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad