Rumor: 2021-2022 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part VIII: All Rumors No Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I just find it weird how much vitriol Grub got, while Kuemper has a ton of apologists when they’re basically the same goalie. But like you said it’s probably a personal thing.

I see a ton of people complaining about Kuemper. I'm definitely not an apologist; I'm just pointing out how it's insane that people are entertaining thoughts of trading him when he's been well above average the last couple months.

There's no doubt Grubauer was good for the Avs. His final season was insane. I brought up his first two years because he was often injured and wildly inconsistent when healthy. Couple that with two instances (that I can recall) of him subtly complaining about the players in front of him, and that's why you get some fans with a sour tastes in their mouths.

Reactions: Bender

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don’t buy Elvis or Gibson. I doubt Carolina wanted Ned with a competitor.

Are you getting Ull,ark appreciably cheaper?
I don't remember anybody here wanting Ullmark. I pretty sure everybody was saying he was not an upgrade to Gru.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kuemp's numbers aren't quite as good but he was on a different team. Gru's good numbers were with the Avs. With WAS his playoffs numbers are atrocious. Now you are the one comparing the two on different teams :wink:.
Let's see what he does on the Avs.

Well we don't have numbers for Kuemper... so complete mystery box. Could be great, could be terrible. I don't see how we can fall back on anything for Kuemper in that comparison that is a positive. But we do have Grubi's numbers with the Avs and he was pretty damn good outside one series. If Kuemper comes in and has .925+ hockey through the playoffs... nobody will complain. If he's .915... there should (rightfully) be grumbling.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
In a perfect world, we're very proactive and move on from Grubauer once we can't come to terms with him, and trade for Elvis. But hindsight 20/20 blah blah.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
Kuemper won gold, so he could stand the pressure at the worlds. Let’s see what he can do in the playoffs.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Well we don't have numbers for Kuemper... so complete mystery box. Could be great, could be terrible. I don't see how we can fall back on anything for Kuemper in that comparison that is a positive. But we do have Grubi's numbers with the Avs and he was pretty damn good outside one series. If Kuemper comes in and has .925+ hockey through the playoffs... nobody will complain. If he's .915... there should (rightfully) be grumbling.
Yes and no. We don't need Kuemp to play .925+ in the playoffs. .915 should be enough. We just don't want him to play like Gru during the Vegas series. What is the point of going .925 if you lay a complete egg in your last series. With .915 from Gru I would argue strongly that the Avs still win that series.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
For the record... I really don't have an issue with Kuemper as a goalie. He's an average starting goalie and if he can clean up the one extra goal BS in the playoffs, he's good enough to win a Cup with (if he doesn't clean up that one excess goal... it'll be tough). I think the deal to get him was atrocious, but necessary given the team needing to contend this year. I use the word atrocious not directly because of the value given up... but more in the asset situation to add to the team later. It was an overpayment, but really an over payment of one round of a pick or Timmins in general. 2nd + Timmins or 1st only would have been a more appropriate value. But that really isn't my issue. My issue lies more in the situation today... instead of basically only having the 23 1st, Helleson, OO and Barron as valuable pieces... the Avs would have a 22 1st and Timmins to go along with that. Given the timeframe and how Tims was playing (and could have been playing here next to G), two of the top 3 most valuable pieces for the Avs to improve the team today are off the table. Instead of maybe having to only get Giroux with the limited resources... maybe you have assets to work on a Miller and Giroux. It was real poor asset management, I get the whole reason why the deal was made like it was and had to be made... it was just far from ideal.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah. Maybe not if we got retention, but I'd rather have Quick than Kuemper tbh.
I think that's easy to say now that he's had a resurgence this season. Last year (and the last 3 years, honestly) his numbers weren't good. 11-9-2, 2.86 GAA, .898 SV%

Most thought he was done, and Petersen was their starter from this year on. He's also 36, 5-years older than Kuemper, and has a $5.8M cap hit through next year.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
The problem is that we need like 4 moves to make the team ready to chase the cup. And I don't know if Sakic is willing to make that many moves.

EJ is looking bad, time has really caught up to him. We should've LTIR'd him, no joke, because the only way he is gonna be effective is if those legs are fresh, like they were at the beginning of the season. And we still have two months of games to go... can you imagine what he's gonna look like after that? Also, JJ isn't gonna be looking that much better.

G is gonna get bullied again. We all know it's gonna happen. The intensity, hitting, and pressure is always turned up for the playoffs, and G is gonna have a big target on his back. It's gonna take five minutes of looking at film for an opposing team to zero in on him.

Is it finally clear to Sakic that JTC and Jost aren't going to get the job done if you want the cup? I hope so, for all of our sakes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yes and no. We don't need Kuemp to play .925+ in the playoffs. .915 should be enough. We just don't want him to play like Gru during the Vegas series. What is the point of going .925 if you lay a complete egg in your last series. With .915 from Gru I would argue strongly that the Avs still win that series.

IDK if the Avs win with .915. Since 2010 only 2 teams have won a Cup with a goalie under .922... Quick with LA in 2014 and Binnington with Stl in 2019. Both of those teams play far differently than the Avs. But it is never straight across the board. With .915 there will be some stinkers of games.

To win a Cup... you really need a goalie at a .920-.925+ level in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Moops

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think that's easy to say now that he's had a resurgence this season. Last year (and the last 3 years, honestly) his numbers weren't good. 11-9-2, 2.86 GAA, .898 SV%

Most thought he was done, and Petersen was their starter from this year on. He's also 36, 5-years older than Kuemper, and has a $5.8M cap hit through next year.

I was fully on the Quick train last year too. And with retention that would be under 3M. All hypothetical at this point but I would've been a fan.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The problem is that we need like 4 moves to make the team ready to chase the cup. And I don't know if Sakic is willing to make that many moves.

EJ is looking bad, time has really caught up to him. We should've LTIR'd him, no joke, because the only way he is gonna be effective is if those legs are fresh, like they were at the beginning of the season. And we still have two months of games to go... can you imagine what he's gonna look like after that? Also, JJ isn't gonna be looking that much better.

G is gonna get bullied again. We all know it's gonna happen. The intensity, hitting, and pressure is always turned up for the playoffs, and G is gonna have a big target on his back. It's gonna take five minutes of looking at film for an opposing team to zero in on him.

Is it finally clear to Sakic that JTC and Jost aren't going to get the job done if you want the cup? I hope so, for all of our sakes.
Yup too many holes for Sakic to fill by the deadline. It aint happening. You just have to hope the priority is to focus on the most important issue and imo its defense even with Bo back. Joe has to get 1 dman in atleast.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IDK if the Avs win with .915. Since 2010 only 2 teams have won a Cup with a goalie under .922... Quick with LA in 2014 and Binnington with Stl in 2019. Both of those teams play far differently than the Avs. But it is never straight across the board. With .915 there will be some stinkers of games.

So why are saying we can win with Kuemper when you call him an average starting goalie? .920-.925+ is not average. It's well above average.

Reactions: The Moops

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Yup too many holes for Sakic to fill by the deadline. It aint happening. You just have to hope the priority is to focus on the most important issue and imo its defense even with Bo back. Joe has to get 1 dman in atleast.

Major issue is forward, especially with Bo back. EJ, JJ, Murray can handle themselves in the playoffs. Not sure if Jost, Compher, Helm, MacDermid can and NAK, LOC and Newhook are too new.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

Honestly, as terrible as Sakic has handled the goalies situation for what seems to be a whole decade, the way the PO's seeding is working out, we might not see a goalie that is definitively better than Kuemper until the Conference Finals/Finals (god willing). Markstrom/Quick (likely) we wouldn't see until the 3rd round, and Vasilevsky/Igor the finals. Gibson/Helly are definitely not making the playoffs.

I'd rather have Oetinger, but we're so much better than Dallas, Kuemper doesn't have to outplay him. Husso is a black box.

So all Kuemper has to do to get to the conference finals is tread water and be at best, even or only slightly worse than his counterpart in the 1st two rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad