Line Combos: 2021-2022 Roster Discussion Thread

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Like I said when he came in, big time Hitchcock vibes. I’m gonna love it if I’m proved wrong, but rn it feels like a lot of fans who are expecting things are grasping to a lot of hope.
Given how the teams analytics skyrocketed under him, there's a lot more evidence to him being a positive influence than the contrary despite lineup decisions people can disagree with

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I just want Saturday to get here, to see how many people change their tune when we kick a bunch of Oiler ass lmao we just need a big game from Marky.

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Given how the teams analytics skyrocketed under him, there's a lot more evidence to him being a positive influence than the contrary despite lineup decisions people can disagree with

As much as I hate to point this out, but this same sort of phenomenon also occurred under Glen Gulutzan. He lasted all of 2 seasons before being shown the door despite great underlying stats.

I get a sense a lot of fans think differently because of the clout Sutter has from 2004. Otherwise he's even more reliant on vets than GG was and hasn't shown much of a backbone to put them out of the lineup as of yet either. If this team fails to perform, I think the narrative around him is going to change a lot in this city (kind of like what happened to Brent).

Reactions: TheHudlinator

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I just want Saturday to get here, to see how many people change their tune when we kick a bunch of Oiler ass lmao we just need a big game from Marky.

I want to win. I personally don't give two bits if the Oilers only get beat on the scoreboard.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

I disagree with you on a lot of things, respectfully.

but I think me and you are on an island on this one. This team is going to be solid under Sutter. We’ve always had talent we just lacked true structure.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Most likely we will continue to have issues consistently generating offence and our bottom 6 forwards will be the usual meh while we watch young fast 3rd/4th liners on other teams burn us for key goals. I think we will be relevant for the 7 and 8 playoff spots but also only be a few injuries away from a lottery team.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Never has there been a more important 6D in the league if ours is the reason we are winning or losing games.

Honestly it’s not a surprise though if Kylington is getting scratched. Sutter directly calls him out and says his bad reads and turnovers are the reason he doesn’t play, then the second last preseason game against Winnipeg he throws a tape to tape pass to the wrong team that results in a goal. He follows it up with bad positioning that results in him chasing down a breakaway the our last game against Vancouver. Everyone rightfully likes Kylington and hates Gudbranson, but Gudbranson getting burned wide is just as dangerous as Kylington standing in the wrong spot watching a guy skate by, and Draisaitl and Mcdavid aren’t the guys to turn a puck over to either.

We all love Kylington’s transition game, but a lot of people are blinded by it to notice its warts and Sutter will always be defense first, everything else second.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Most likely we will continue to have issues consistently generating offence and our bottom 6 forwards will be the usual meh while we watch young fast 3rd/4th liners on other teams burn us for key goals. I think we will be relevant for the 7 and 8 playoff spots but also only be a few injuries away from a lottery team.

Our third line this year projects to be Backlund, Dube/Coleman, and Pitlick. That’s a very fast group.

Reactions: Darth Vladar

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Never has there been a more important 6D in the league if ours is the reason we are winning or losing games.

Honestly it’s not a surprise though if Kylington is getting scratched. Sutter directly calls him out and says his bad reads and turnovers are the reason he doesn’t play, then the second last preseason game against Winnipeg he throws a tape to tape pass to the wrong team that results in a goal. He follows it up with bad positioning that results in him chasing down a breakaway the our last game against Vancouver. Everyone rightfully likes Kylington and hates Gudbranson, but Gudbranson getting burned wide is just as dangerous as Kylington standing in the wrong spot watching a guy skate by, and Draisaitl and Mcdavid aren’t the guys to turn a puck over to either.

We all love Kylington’s transition game, but a lot of people are blinded by it to notice its warts and Sutter will always be defense first, everything else second.

Kylington needs to be good defensively no doubt, but that’s not what he’s here to do is shut guys down. We need players who can skate, get the puck up the ice and add offence on the backend. Oliver is maybe the best we have at that.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
As much as I hate to point this out, but this same sort of phenomenon also occurred under Glen Gulutzan. He lasted all of 2 seasons before being shown the door despite great underlying stats.

I get a sense a lot of fans think differently because of the clout Sutter has from 2004. Otherwise he's even more reliant on vets than GG was and hasn't shown much of a backbone to put them out of the lineup as of yet either. If this team fails to perform, I think the narrative around him is going to change a lot in this city (kind of like what happened to Brent).
Just because a prior coach with the Flames had short term success before a huge regression doesn't denote that future coaches who have a surge will follow suit. For one, Sutter has a lengthy track record of positive analytical play in terms of possession long before he was coaching here (again), while Gulutzan (like Ward who had some short term success) was someone fresh off the block as a cheap hire.

While it's fun to look for relationships like that, for the most part the only thing connecting Sutter and Gulutzan are their occupation and the fact they have worked for the Flames. Searching for a connection beyond that isn't gonna tell a whole lot about Sutter's future

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honestly getting hung up on what Sutter has to say in pressers is a fool's errand. 99% of the time, he's itching to leave asap.

Darryl Sutter's still the guy who got Dion f***ing Phaneuf to garner Norris votes. And that wouldn't have been possible without Roman Hamrlik doing a ton of heavy lifting in that pairing (psst Tanev anyone???). Oh and he's also the guy that went out and nabbed known defensive stalwart Jay Bouwmeester as the team's missing piece :laugh:

It's true that Sutter's still old-fashioned in the sense that he values a big old fridge of a player to patrol the ice but he's always been a forward-thinking coach that knows you need risky, flashy guys that the opposition can't gameplan against

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just because a prior coach with the Flames had short term success before a huge regression doesn't denote that future coaches who have a surge will follow suit. For one, Sutter has a lengthy track record of positive analytical play in terms of possession long before he was coaching here (again), while Gulutzan (like Ward who had some short term success) was someone fresh off the block as a cheap hire.

While it's fun to look for relationships like that, for the most part the only thing connecting Sutter and Gulutzan are their occupation and the fact they have worked for the Flames. Searching for a connection beyond that isn't gonna tell a whole lot about Sutter's future

GG had 2 solid possession seasons here and fans ran him out of town. In fact his second year was better than the first in terms of possession metrics. Both coaches emphasized a possession game in their systems, so it’s more than just “they both coached the flames and that’s it”. Both have talked about playing like a 5 man unit too and whatnot, and from what I’ve seen both generally have a conservative mindset in regards to how a team should play.

Both have had questionable usage of players. Sutter’s love affair with ritchie, gulutzan and the Brouwer play. And just because sutter’s style of player worked in 2014, doesn’t mean it’s a guarantee to work in 2021. Again say whatever you like, but fans who ran gulutzan out of town are hypocritical if they are defending sutter considering his shortcomings are much the same. I’d certainly hope ppl don’t blindly assume that past results are a sign of future success.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Honestly getting hung up on what Sutter has to say in pressers is a fool's errand. 99% of the time, he's itching to leave asap.

Darryl Sutter's still the guy who got Dion f***ing Phaneuf to garner Norris votes. And that wouldn't have been possible without Roman Hamrlik doing a ton of heavy lifting in that pairing (psst Tanev anyone???). Oh and he's also the guy that went out and nabbed known defensive stalwart Jay Bouwmeester as the team's missing piece :laugh:

It's true that Sutter's still old-fashioned in the sense that he values a big old fridge of a player to patrol the ice but he's always been a forward-thinking coach that knows you need risky, flashy guys that the opposition can't gameplan against

It was under keenan that Phaneuf had his best season…

I don’t see a lot of forward thinking in the guys we brought in this summer. Gudbrandson, zadorov, pitlick, Richardson, and lewis are not flashy additions. They are vets and have intangibles that will likely mean more of the same garbage our bottom 6 has seen.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
WhimsicalSinfulGalapagosalbatross.webp

Don't really have much choice but to put our faith in the old Jedi.

I mostly want to see a team that plays with some consistency. Coaching has been trash since Hartley and even he was no where near perfect. Teams that go out and execute night after night get into the playoffs, kinda regardless of who is on their 3rd pair or occupying the 4RW spot.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Darryl can possession and grind better than any coach. They just need some scoring. If these guys who have offensive acumen can actually finish, then they will do well. I'm skeptical on that outside of Johnny.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Your point would be more relevant if Gudbranson wasn't also a turnover machine in addition to him getting burned all over the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad