Line Combos: 2021-2022 Roster Discussion Thread

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
As I've said already, the first game against the Coil, I'm all for having Guddy in the lineup.
Having Gudbranson (and Zadorov in the position he's practicing) is the absolute worst thing to have against the Oilers. Use Gudbranson and Zadorov against the Ducks, Sharks, and heavy, slower teams, but against a team built around speed there's no reason that Gudbranson/Zadorov is vital.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Having Gudbranson (and Zadorov in the position he's practicing) is the absolute worst thing to have against the Oilers. Use Gudbranson and Zadorov against the Ducks, Sharks, and heavy, slower teams, but against a team built around speed there's no reason that Gudbranson/Zadorov is vital.

It's game one of the regular season, a chance to make a statement that the Flames are not to be effed with, and they won't be. Sutter can swap Guddy out for Kyller the three other times we play them.

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's game one of the regular season, a chance to make a statement that the Flames are not to be effed with, and they won't be. Sutter can swap Guddy out for Kyller the three other times we play them.

So getting our asses beat 5-1 but getting more hits will be a statement that we’d rather be tough than win?

Oilers fans sure don’t seem to be too scared of what we got. Feels like the roles were reversed only a few yrs ago…

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Players should be in the lineup under the merit of their ability to help the team win. Going against the team with the fastest player who will abuse those guys when he goes against them, as well as a strong power play to punish the Flames proving their aren't to be "effed with" is an easy way to throw the game away if that's the intent.

If the Flames want to send a real message that they weren't to be effed with, they'd play their best roster with the intent of showing they are downright better than the Oilers from the start of the season, not by trying to run them into the ground with big bodies.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Damn, some of you out here like the season's already done before we even play a single game lmao the only one I'm choked about not being in the lineup for this one is Coleman.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Good grief. The Sky is falling, the Sky is falling!

Talk about selling this team short. Why bother being a Flame's fan if all you have to offer is doom and gloom? There is an 82 game schedule to play.

And just because Edmonton has McSaviour doesn't mean he can't be shut down. Or any other team for that matter.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Good grief. The Sky is falling, the Sky is falling!

Talk about selling this team short. Why bother being a Flame's fan if all you have to offer is doom and gloom? There is an 82 game schedule to play.

And just because Edmonton has McSaviour doesn't mean he can't be shut down. Or any other team for that matter.
Seeing how we have won one playoff round since 04 the gloom crowd has been right almost every year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
But we’re tough right?!!! Surely edmontonians are trembling at the thought of having to watch their team skate circles around gudbranson.

Remember, big good small bad
Sutter wants to make sure a really big guy ‘accidentally’ sit on McDavid after he ran the goalie

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

P
laying against the fastest team in the league with that top 6d is invite trouble. It was nice thinking sutter was actually gonna play the youth for a sec there haha.

Also our bottom 6 is a nightmare of crap for game 1. Really unfortunate what we spent on pitlick who can’t stay healthy to save his life.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

P
laying against the fastest team in the league with that top 6 is invite trouble. It was nice thinking sutter was actually gonna play the youth for a sec there haha.

Also our bottom 6 is a nightmare of crap for game 1. Really unfortunate what we spent on pitlick who can’t stay healthy to save his life.

Practice lineups with Coleman in the 4th means the top-6 won't be same after the first game. I really would have wanted Kylington in there

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know it's been said, but if Kylington sits game 1 that just shows what a farce the "always earned, never given" mantra is . . . he was arguably the team's best defenseman in the preseason. He's also the only defenseman (other than Hanifin) who can even keep up with McDavid.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I know it's been said, but if Kylington sits game 1 that just shows what a farce the "always earned, never given" mantra is . . . he was arguably the team's best defenseman in the preseason. He's also the only defenseman (other than Hanifin) who can even keep up with McDavid.

While I agree about Kylington deserving a spot in the lineup, that phrase hasn't been used by the Flames management for few years now.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think that Valimaki is just getting reps in with the top 6 because he was frozen out of the last few preseason games. There's no way Sutter thinks Valimaki outperformed Kylington in camp.

Reactions: Darth Vladar

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think that Valimaki is just getting reps in with the top 6 because he was frozen out of the last few preseason games. There's no way Sutter thinks Valimaki outperformed Kylington in camp.

And explain Zadorov and Gudbrandson in this fold too then.

He has his favourites plain and simple. Kylington is still the #7 in Sutter's eyes.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Pretty stupid we have to wait all the way to Saturday to get a game in.

I was just thinking the same. Olympic break, I think there's still the one week break for each team etc., starting the season few days later is really stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad