Speculation: 2020 off season roster musings

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
I really want to be wrong but I don't think we get him. NJ just picked up their goalie, Crawford.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Are you guys willing to send Fleury in division? I can see the Oilers having interest if you retain 50%.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Are you guys willing to send Fleury in division? I can see the Oilers having interest if you retain 50%.

I’m fine with sending him anywhere but I do think Edmonton would be one of the last places they would send him to especially now that you all made the playoffs.

The chances we meet in the playoffs next year are pretty good I think.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Now that I think about it, Greiss makes a lot of sense. He and Lehner were a good tandem, he's one of the best shootout goalies in the NHL, and taking the best UFA goalie off the market helps make MAF more desirable.

As for Petro, it's already been said he would take a day or so before signing...even if the decision seems to have been made.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Now that I think about it, Greiss makes a lot of sense. He and Lehner were a good tandem, he's one of the best shootout goalies in the NHL, and taking the best UFA goalie off the market helps make MAF more desirable.

As for Petro, it's already been said he would take a day or so before signing...even if the decision seems to have been made.

You really want to play some 3-D Chess:) I couldn't handle signing another goalie right now. Does a 3rd party even still exist at this point that would take the whole contract to begin with?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You really want to play some 3-D Chess:) I couldn't handle signing another goalie right now. Does a 3rd party even still exist at this point that would take the whole contract to begin with?

If he's traded we're retaining half. That would be fine with me at this point. It would be good value for the team that gets him considering the goalie contracts today, but teams seem to want to not help Vegas so maybe it doesn't get done.

I would give a first with half of his contract if it meant Pietrangelo. We still would have to trade Schmidt or Pacioretty. But that isn't negative value.

We can look to get back at the league by using our exempt status to get some payback and try to swing a deal that is good for us.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Not the full 7m no. But his value is back up a bit now at 4-5m.

Even if they don't sign Greiss, negotiating with him keeps him off the market.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I really don't like the idea of moving Schmidt to fit Petro as we'd still be short a top pair D. I would have thought the idea here was a Schmidt-Petro pairing. They need to find a way to get Fleury out at his full hit. Then they only need to move Holden/Mcnabb/Martinez depending on just how much they need in addition to Petro.

Even moving Marchie makes a lot more sense especially if you get Haula.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think i am starting to change my mind slightly on Petro.

Maybe giving a 30 year old a 9+ million dollars for 7 years with a nmc is not such a good idea.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Also most likely to get a tour.

Hopefully whoever gives him the tour shows him that Vegas is much more than the strip.

Tired of all the stereotypes that Vegas gets.
I'd say only people who don't want to know anything about Vegas is stereotyping it. The same kinda people who call the team the Las Vegas Golden Knights.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why the Leafs landed on T.J. Brodie – and abandoned pursuit of Alex Pietrangelo – The Athletic

GM Kyle Dubas checked in with Alex Pietrangelo’s camp early on Friday to see what it would take to land the St. Louis Blues captain. Dubas talked through various scenarios with his agent, Don Meehan, including what the Leafs could and could not afford.

The Leafs knew Pietrangelo was a long shot coming in, however. And they were prepared to lean into their backup plan: They signed T.J. Brodie to a four-year, $20 million deal later in the day.

In the end, Pietrangelo’s ask was simply too much for Toronto. And it was clear the Leafs were not his first choice, with Vegas the clear front-runner, even after some of Toronto’s top players tried to talk him into coming home.

Unlike Wayne Simmonds, who signed with the Leafs earlier in the day, Pietrangelo wasn’t going to take less to be in Toronto.

“Alex won’t be signing anywhere at a discount,” one source close to the player told The Athletic on Friday evening.

While the decision might read as $5 million over a shorter term for Brodie versus $9 million for Pietrangelo for seven years, that wasn’t really the call. The key difference is Brodie was keen on joining the Leafs – after they pursued him in a failed Nazem Kadri trade in the summer of 2019 – and a sure thing.

Trying to land Pietrangelo would have been a huge gamble – and the Leafs would have had to wait while he visited other suitors first. It also would have meant major surgery for their roster, given the enormous cap hit.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The team already has a full team signed, correct? It's the same team that went to the WCF except no Cousins, which isn't a loss from his play, and Glass instead of Stastny. Dugan and Elvenes could push for games at forward and Hague and Coghlan on defense.

If they sign Pietrangelo they would trade a defenseman that he would replace and then need to move another high earning defenseman or forward and replace them with a cheaper option, Haula possibly? Is that where the team stands right now? Is there a Vatanen backup option, if he isn't set on the Ducks?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
On one hand, our cap space is f***ed if we sign petro.

On the other hand, it is sort of nice to be a free agent destination.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad